Coffee Lovers

Started by Strings4Him, November 25, 2011, 05:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Looks like great stuff.  Love the video.

http://www.pgtips.co.uk/

Quote from: Strings4Him on February 28, 2012, 04:13:14 PM
Looks like great stuff. 

It is. PG turned me into a tea drinker.

My son is a PG drinker. He orders cases on-line.  I like my Chai mid mornings or early PM. I make my own with India tea and Tea Masala. Then sweeten with Agave squeezens and lots of 1/2 and 1/2. The little lady always wants some as well.

I made a few bad batches before getting it right. I also use my Bodum press for this Chai. It works very well.

Quote from: dependan on February 28, 2012, 05:34:34 PM
  My son is a PG drinker. He orders cases on-line.  I like my Chai mid mornings or early PM. I make my own with India tea and Tea Masala. Then sweeten with Agave squeezens and lots of 1/2 and 1/2. The little lady always wants some as well.

I made a few bad batches before getting it right. I also use my Bodum press for this Chai. It works very well.
My wife likes Tazo chai from the carton. Steamed up with whole milk and vanilla syrup.

Someone here said that they found a nice french press at a local thrift shop.  Well, looky here at the ARC store today I got a 1L Bodum french press that cleaned up real nice for $4.

It's a Brazil model, but 1L instead of the 3cup version (I have one of those at work!).

This is the same ARC store where I bought a Pearl Cajon drum for $40 last year, brand spanking new.

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Good find Scott.  A guy at work was using the AeroPress the other day.  He said this worked quite well.

I just ground, brewed and am drinking some Trader Joe's Organic Cafe Pajaro blend.  It is an EXTRA dark roast.  I bet it would taste even better made through a press.

Scott, excellent find. 

There's a chain of dairy stores here in the Southwest called Braum's.  It's a family-owned deal where they have their own dairy.  The reason they're only in the SW is because they only put a store within a day's drive of their farm in Oklahoma.  Pretty cool deal and their products are great.  I bought a bag of their coffee the other day and was blown away.  I don't think for a second they really went into the coffee-roasting business, so I know this is likely something bagged up elsewhere and sold under the Braum's label.  Either way it's very good.  If you have a Braum's near you, give it a try. 

Quote from: the creature on February 29, 2012, 10:02:29 AM
My wife likes Tazo chai from the carton. Steamed up with whole milk and vanilla syrup.
My wife still has some Tazo in the fridge, but since I nailed the art of French press Chai, she prefers mine, thank you.

Quote from: the creature on February 28, 2012, 05:04:54 PM
It is. PG turned me into a tea drinker.
It wasn't PG Tips for me, but it has been a great encouragement in that direction. I just bought a 1.5 kg bag of loose PG Tips (3.3 lbs.) I thought it was a bit pricey at over twice the others on the shelves, but it is a super smooth tea and I don't reget spending more for it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Im a huge coffee snob.  I often work for coffee roasters, mostly for the eprk of the free coffee.  I love my coffee.  Look up stumptown.  look up intelligencia.  who else?  blue bottle out of san fransisco may be available in other places.  Theres so much good micro roasted coffee out there.  Light roasts are superior!!! they showcase a brilliant bean... Dark roasts hide mediocrity in carbonic ash flavor. 
The dude abides

Quote from: funkstarfish on April 09, 2012, 07:34:53 PM
Im a huge coffee snob.  I often work for coffee roasters, mostly for the eprk of the free coffee.  I love my coffee.  Look up stumptown.  look up intelligencia.  who else?  blue bottle out of san fransisco may be available in other places.  Theres so much good micro roasted coffee out there.  Light roasts are superior!!! they showcase a brilliant bean... Dark roasts hide mediocrity in carbonic ash flavor. 
I believe you are on to something here. We bought a dark roast of our favorite local Austin roaster "Ruta Maya", and I think you described the flavor. We went back today and got more of the medium roast.

yeah, sometimes they call that a roasty flavor, and honestly, i like a good cup of french/dark roast coffee at an old school diner every now and again too.  it has its appeal.  But once i tasted coffees that were as good as chocolate and wine... i just cant go back... at home i french press, or aero press, or do a 2 cup pour over.  I need a better grinder.  using a burr grinder would greatly improve my coffee.  but they are pricey...
The dude abides

I used to love darker roasts but now they just taste burned to me. Not sure if the coffee has changed or if I've changed.

Quote from: ryler on January 28, 2012, 08:45:41 AM
I've asked this before, but I'll try again:  My Bodum french press has a great design for the plunger.  The screen is encased in a circle of plastic and that section of it cannot be disassembled.  My husband's press has the screen squeezed between two pieces of metal; this design means that after every use the grounds get caught between the screen and its supporting metal structure.  You have to disassemble it to wash out the grounds. Also, the screen exceeds the circumfrence of the metal structure and loses its shape when pressed down into the carafe.  It's stupid.  Mine is smart.  My press is older and I can't find one with that sort of plunger design from Bodum anymore.  Anyone know of a different brand which doesn't have a stupid plunger design?  Yes, this really matters to me.

Oh, and P.S. to creature:  Somewhere on this forum you posted the view from your reading chair.  It's of your dining room.  I have  had it as my desktop image now for a couple of weeks.  Love that picture.  My husband saw it and now wants to live in your house.  Would you mind that?

Replacement screens and assemblies are available for those. (and you might find them cheaper elsewhere idk)

http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/coffee-brewers/french-presses.html?source=grid

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

For those who like the Techniform or Bonavita, check out this new product from Behmor:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otWCirV2yeg

Full control of pre-soak time and temperature are rather amazing for a product priced somewhere around $200 (I think).

For now, though, I'm getting great coffee from the Aeropress.
Play it daily for best results.

Yes!!! another Aeropress fanatic.  the cheapest and easiest method for one amazing cup of coffee.  I even have down a 2 cup method now.  I used to think of my Aeropress as a camping or travel coffee maker, but now that i bought the metal screen to fit into it instead of using the paper every day, i use it often at home.  Just brewed some light roasted Costa Rican Don Mayo.  Such a lush south american coffee with lots of fruity notes normally reserved for african coffees.

Id recommend the metal screen for your aeropress Prof Stack.

they can be found at espressoparts.com

im buzzing on my 3rd cup now...
The dude abides

Quote from: funkstarfish on April 15, 2012, 10:19:14 AM
Yes!!! another Aeropress fanatic.  the cheapest and easiest method for one amazing cup of coffee.  I even have down a 2 cup method now.  I used to think of my Aeropress as a camping or travel coffee maker, but now that i bought the metal screen to fit into it instead of using the paper every day, i use it often at home.  Just brewed some light roasted Costa Rican Don Mayo.  Such a lush south american coffee with lots of fruity notes normally reserved for african coffees.

I recommend the metal screen for your Aeropress, Prof Stack.  They can be found at espressoparts.com

I'm buzzing on my 3rd cup now...
Heh, the video from Seattle Coffee Gear comparing the paper and metal filters found the owner preferring the paper filter for smoothness of taste.  That's the way I currently like my coffee, having just sold the espresso maker.  I use the paper filters for 4 or 5 times before replacing with a new one.  But I have looked into the metal filters and might spring for it, just for the variety.  Thanks!
Play it daily for best results.

This is a friend's local 'micro-roasting' operation:  http://smoothgroovecoffee.com/ 

I hadn't bought from him in awhile, but Friday evening he dropped off a 1/2 pound of Ethiopian Harar Longberry in a medium/dark roast and oh my is it delicioso from ye goode olde Mr. Coffee drip coffee maker. 

I asked him how much green beans he buys and he says he never buys more than 5 lb at a time.  His prices are reasonable as well.  I also think his logo is cool.
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

thanks rockstarnot, good link, i sent em an email to see what they are about...  when you say local, where approximately?
The dude abides

Quote from: funkstarfish on April 17, 2012, 01:42:31 PM
thanks rockstarnot, good link, i sent em an email to see what they are about...  when you say local, where approximately?

Colorado Springs, CO - though Eric does ship across the US.  He also has a coffee club where you sign up for a regular shipment of his choosing every so often.  Eric's a great electric guitar player, singer/songwriter as well.

-Scott

2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Id say its a tossup of paper over metal and which tastes better, funny too, because when you look at the pour over filters, there is all sorts of discussion about bleached Vs unbleached and metal vs paper.  I have seen all of the answers be the right one, i use the metal so i don't have to buy more paper.  I use the paper when i feel like something different, but i never notice the difference...  ive cupped hundreds of coffees and done hundreds of tastings.  If i were really paying attention, im sure the difference is there, but my morning cup is so damn good with paper or metal, i dont count hairs and dont consider that element to be a major flavor factor when compared to coffee, brew time and brew temp, and even the speed with which you press your aero press has more affect on flavor
The dude abides