Coffee Lovers

Started by Strings4Him, November 25, 2011, 05:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: the creature on January 14, 2012, 12:39:14 PM
We have HEB around here, but I think there are more of them the further down you go on I-35, near where you are.  I heard Central Market is owned by HEB too.  There's a nice Mex. grocery store near my home called Elrod's. They have Mexican Coca-Cola and those big puffy shortbread cookies that you can only get at such a place.  I'm sure this cream will be there if it's anywhere around here. 

Man, that press coffee is rich.  You get all the oils and flavors.  Went very well with my pipe this morning. 
HEB is always so packed with people, I go to Randall's instead to avoid the throng. But HEB does cater to the Hispanic community so they have many items from the Mexican culture.
      Central Market is owned by HEB and they have lots of upscale goodies and a fine restaurant as well.
  Time to enjoy my brew.

We have HEB around here, but I think there are more of them the further down you go on I-35, near where you are.  I heard Central Market is owned by HEB too.  There's a nice Mex. grocery store near my home called Elrod's. They have Mexican Coca-Cola and those big puffy shortbread cookies that you can only get at such a place.  I'm sure this cream will be there if it's anywhere around here. 

Man, that press coffee is rich.  You get all the oils and flavors.  Went very well with my pipe this morning. 

You will be looking for something like this:

http://www.mexgrocer.com/42743-12316.html?productid=42743-12316&channelid=FROOG&utm_source=CSEs&utm_medium=GoogleShopping&utm_campaign=MexGrocerCSE

Don't get sour cream - sometimes in the same type of container.  You are looking for fresca, or table cream on the label.  Our local Wal-Mart sometimes has this in the dairy section.  We have a giant Rancho Liborio store which has all kinds of brands of this type of cream, but those are limited to the west, as far as I know.  You will be able to get these at small local neighborhood hispanic markets - we had several back in MI where I could buy this.

Another way to use this which we learned in Mexico:  tostadas with this cream spread on top, then crumbled queso fresco on top of that, then chili powder on top - yummy.  Even better is to fry up some chorizo, drain, then sprinkle on top, add some lettuce, tasty.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Man, that press coffee is rich.  You get all the oils and flavors.  Went very well with my pipe this morning.  

Yup. That's what keeps me drinking three or four quarts a day!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Just noticed this as I was grinding the Eight o'Clock beans.  Package contents are 11 oz, not 12 like most other grocery store coffee packages, even the last package of Eight o'Clock.  Sneaky?  Yes.  I think I bought my last package of Eight o'Clock.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Yes, that bugs me too. Even my dear old Community finally ditched its true pound a while back. Money, money, money!

It's not just coffee.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

I go to Austin Roasting Company for my coffee (Usually Costa Rican Tres Rios).
Roasted as you like, sold by the POUND, and free shipping when buying in bulk (5 pounds).
http://www.austinroastingcompany.com/
Tell Jesse I sent you!

"Time flies like an arrow..Fruit flies like a banana"
Townes Van Zandt

I'm on my second bag of Peet's French Roast. The press is seeing a lot of use around my house. I served some to guests recently and everyone loved it.

I just bought some great freshly roasted beans from beanstockroasters.com  In fact, I just took a sip of decaf that truly tastes like regular  :+1:

Tonight: coffee in the press and homemade oatmeal cookies.

I'm studying for exams and my hands are shaking. Just the way it is supposed to be  :coffee
04' Larrivée L-09 Collectors Edition 26 of 50
90s' Yamaha Classical

Q: How many guitars does a man need?
A: One more.

I'm from Sweden. The home of Levin, Hagström & Sundberg Guitars.
We also ride polarbears to work on a daily basis. Yes, it's true.

Just pressed some chia and added Masala and blue agave. MMMMM good. I know it ain't Java, but it's good. :coffee

My latest coffee ritual is using the Aeropress to make a delicious smooth condensed coffee topped with foam or foamy milk from the Aerocchino milk frother.

BTW, the new Starbucks "Blonde" roast is pretty good, definitely smoother and less sharper than their usual "char"bucks blend.
Play it daily for best results.

Am I the only one that still use's the old style campfire perculator?
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on January 26, 2012, 09:36:11 PM
Am I the only one that still use's the old style campfire perculator?
Nope. I use one every day for my usual coffee. Thought I was the only one!

I've asked this before, but I'll try again:  My Bodum french press has a great design for the plunger.  The screen is encased in a circle of plastic and that section of it cannot be disassembled.  My husband's press has the screen squeezed between two pieces of metal; this design means that after every use the grounds get caught between the screen and its supporting metal structure.  You have to disassemble it to wash out the grounds. Also, the screen exceeds the circumfrence of the metal structure and loses its shape when pressed down into the carafe.  It's stupid.  Mine is smart.  My press is older and I can't find one with that sort of plunger design from Bodum anymore.  Anyone know of a different brand which doesn't have a stupid plunger design?  Yes, this really matters to me.

Oh, and P.S. to creature:  Somewhere on this forum you posted the view from your reading chair.  It's of your dining room.  I have  had it as my desktop image now for a couple of weeks.  Love that picture.  My husband saw it and now wants to live in your house.  Would you mind that?

A simple solution on the press may be Goodwill or some other thrift store. My Bodum press has a great screen on it and cost me a whole $1.99. I use it all the time. Love those kinda deals. This one looked like it had never been used.

It's our formal living room/dining room.  It's a fairly large room and I was over in the "reading section" when I took the pic (on my iPhone).  Great place for reading, pipe smoking, and playing music.  I think it might be a bit cramped in our little 1750 sq. ft. house with your hubby, but you all would be welcome anytime for coffee and guitar time.  When we moved in the place was all white walls and plain as can be.  My wife has a real gift.  She made the curtains by hand and rescued all the antique furniture from various death sentences.  The table is over 100 years old, and our piano, which you cannot see in the pic, was made in New York in 1898.  Still plays and sounds like a dream, at least when my wife plays it.  

On topic:
French Press is seeing much use on the fine Saturday.  

This is the type of press I use.  The screen is encased and stays rigid and in place when pressed, and doesn't come apart.  I've had mine for over ten years with no trouble.  I highly recommend this design. 

Quote from: the creature on January 28, 2012, 10:24:21 AM
This is the type of press I use.  The screen is encased and stays rigid and in place when pressed, and doesn't come apart.  I've had mine for over ten years with no trouble.  I highly recommend this design. 

My screen looks just like that, but the press is different.