Coffee Lovers

Started by Strings4Him, November 25, 2011, 05:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've been buying some coffee from these guys.  I am drinking some freshly ground and brewed Sumatran.

They are serious about roasting coffee.

https://justlovecoffee.com/

http://vimeo.com/27775493

Does serious translate into good?  French roast is my mug o' happiness in the morning.   And from Starbucks, no less.  I know, I know, so many people hate Starbucks, but it suits my palate, and from Costco it is actually pretty cheap.  Fresh ground and then put through the French press.  Lot's of French for me I guess.

Ryler that sounds like a seriously good cup of joe to me :+1:

Quote from: ryler on November 27, 2011, 03:43:43 PM
Does serious translate into good?  French roast is my mug o' happiness in the morning.   And from Starbucks, no less.  I know, I know, so many people hate Starbucks, but it suits my palate, and from Costco it is actually pretty cheap.  Fresh ground and then put through the French press.  Lot's of French for me I guess.

Costco's own Kirkland brand is roasted by Starbucks and is a nice full bodied coffee. Our favorite from Costco is the Sumatra when they have it, when its in season we usually stock up on it.
There's nothing like grinding your own right before you brew it.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

When I can't get Jamican Blue MT. I seem to have a thing for our supermarket breakfest roast.I drink alot of coffee even though I've been told not to,then again I still smoke hand rolled cig's.I know discusting but I'm cute so I get forgiven for it.I think its a blue's guitar playing thing even though I play more then just the blue's.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Eight oclock whole bean is darn good for us poor boys. Beats the pystinky out of Folgers or Max's.  :donut :donut2 :coffee
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: broKen on November 28, 2011, 12:19:27 AM
Eight oclock whole bean is darn good for us poor boys. Beats the pystinky out of Folgers or Max's.  :donut :donut2 :coffee
:+1:  Got 3/4 pound of the decaf (gasp!) and I have to agree with you.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: broKen on November 28, 2011, 12:19:27 AM

:+1: I always liked their French Roast.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

I am currently drinking some freshly ground and brewed Trader Joe's French Roast (decaf--don't want to be up all night  :ohmy:).

If you want cheaper coffee, better coffee, and want a NEW hobby, try roasting your own at home.  It is very easy to do.  Green coffee beans store for a long time and roast in less than 15 minutes for a half-pound or so.

I've been doing it for at least 5 years, starting with a simple thrift-store air corn popper.  Now I roast about 1/2# at a time but can do 1# if needed, in the Behmor 1600 roaster.  Attached are three photos of the Behmor ($300 new) and one of the very fancy Hottop roaster ($800) which does up to 1/2# at a time.

Green beans are available all over the Internet (I like sweetmaria.com for their selection and quality of bean) and the variety is amazing.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Play it daily for best results.

Quote from: prof_stack on November 29, 2011, 06:04:59 PM
If you want cheaper coffee, better coffee, and want a NEW hobby, try roasting your own at home.  It is very easy to do.  Green coffee beans store for a long time and roast in less than 15 minutes for a half-pound or so.

I've been doing it for at least 5 years, starting with a simple thrift-store air corn popper.  Now I roast about 1/2# at a time but can do 1# if needed, in the Behmor 1600 roaster.  Attached are three photos of the Behmor ($300 new) and one of the very fancy Hottop roaster ($800) which does up to 1/2# at a time.

Green beans are available all over the Internet (I like sweetmaria.com for their selection and quality of bean) and the variety is amazing.

Very interesting!!

Quote from: prof_stack on November 29, 2011, 06:04:59 PM

Thanks for that interesting bit of information but I think I'll pass. It's trouble enough for me to grind beans every morn.  Lay Z
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Roasting would be fun but I know I don't have time for it. I don't even have time to grind my own beans, and when I do I never taste the difference.  These days I'm making up my own blends of various Community Coffee varieties. This morning I'm enjoying a bit of their Cafe Special mixed with Hotel Blend. There are many possible combinations, and since all their coffee tastes great, there's no way to mix up a bad batch.  I was converted to Eight O'Clock (which I don't consider "cheap," by the way. Folgers and Max House are cheap to me) but I moved back to Community after a bit. Been drinking it for years and couldn't stay away for long as it's an old favorite.

Ya' know.... I grind my own beans, not too infrequently, and I've never wanted to admit I can't taste the difference either.  Does this come into play more if you've had the beans/coffee for a while - I mean do whole beans store better?
L03R(e)
Taylor 314CE
Taylor 312CE

My perennial favorite coffee is Peete's Coffee   "Major Dickason's Blend".  We always buy whole bean and grind it ourselves.  My wife really likes flavored coffee beans like chocolate raspberry, Hazelnut, or more recently, pumpkin spice.    This coffee is not my "cup of tea" you might say.  :arrow   I'll drink it but I don't much care for it.

Quote from: the creature on November 30, 2011, 07:00:34 AM
Roasting would be fun but I know I don't have time for it. I don't even have time to grind my own beans, and when I do I never taste the difference.  These days I'm making up my own blends of various Community Coffee varieties. This morning I'm enjoying a bit of their Cafe Special mixed with Hotel Blend. There are many possible combinations, and since all their coffee tastes great, there's no way to mix up a bad batch.  I was converted to Eight O'Clock (which I don't consider "cheap," by the way. Folgers and Max House are cheap to me) but I moved back to Community after a bit. Been drinking it for years and couldn't stay away for long as it's an old favorite.
You must live in Louisiana are else have connection to the state. I love Community coffee and have enjoyed it fo many years. Always had trouble finding it when away from home.
1987 Takamine EN-10C
2008 Larrivee  LV-10
2010 Martin D35 Maury Muhlheison
2010 Martin D21- Special
2011 Martin HD-18V Custom
2012 Martin OMM John Renbourn

Quote from: Glennd on November 30, 2011, 01:05:54 PM
You must live in Louisiana are else have connection to the state. I love Community coffee and have enjoyed it fo many years. Always had trouble finding it when away from home.
I live in Texas and it's available pretty much everywhere here. I'd mail order it if I lived in a place where it was not sold. I think there is some kind of mail order deal on their website.

Quote from: boat on November 30, 2011, 10:56:18 AM
Ya' know.... I grind my own beans, not too infrequently, and I've never wanted to admit I can't taste the difference either.  Does this come into play more if you've had the beans/coffee for a while - I mean do whole beans store better?

Actually, my experience has been that pre-ground coffee has longer shelf life for similar taste, but that a freshly ground from newly roasted beans is heaven.

It's like strings:

Elixir:  Long playing life with similar tone - maybe don't sound absolutely the best right out of the package, but the axe sounds consistently good for a longer time with them.

Other, non-coated strings:  Sounds brilliant and pure out of the package, but for some, they age quickly to have less top end much more quickly than Elixir strings.

So, pre-ground packaged coffee is not unlike Elixir strings, whereas freshly roasted whole bean is like a premium non-coated strings - requires change-out more frequently.

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Put the strings through the coffee grinder, add hot water, and let us all know how it tastes.   
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K

Sumatran is fine coffee. Used to get it at a little shop where, if you ask for a single cup, the guy takes a bag of beans out of the freezer, grinds your beans and brews it for you. It was mind altering.

Drinking stuff out of the Keurig these days. Not the same.
"Soulshine is better than sunshine, better than moonshine, damn sure better than rain."