Coffee Lovers

Started by Strings4Him, November 25, 2011, 05:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: boat on November 30, 2011, 10:56:18 AM
Ya' know.... I grind my own beans, not too infrequently, and I've never wanted to admit I can't taste the difference either.  Does this come into play more if you've had the beans/coffee for a while - I mean do whole beans store better?

I've found that if you open a can of pre-ground  Maxwell House it smells good and tastes good for a few days then starts to lose its smell and tastes stale. As long as the beans are in a sealed container they seem to last weeks for me, in other words they still smell and taste good when they are freshly ground. YMMV
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

One of the best things you can do for a great cup of coffee is start with very good water. When I'm at my folks place in rural PA, the coffee is always great. Their water is straight from a spring, sweet and clean. Where I grew up, I often drank from spring fed creeks. Best water anywhere.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: broKen on December 01, 2011, 01:43:12 AM
One of the best things you can do for a great cup of coffee is start with very good water. When I'm at my folks place in rural PA, the coffee is always great. Their water is straight from a spring, sweet and clean. Where I grew up, I often drank from spring fed creeks. Best water anywhere.

Very nice.

There is a "Rule of 15" we coffee geeks (www.coffeegeek.com) use:  
Use the coffee up to:

15 months after the beans were harvested,
15 days after beans were roasted,
15 minutes after the beans were ground.

If you are happy with your coffee experience, then just laugh at the rule.  But just like us guitar geeks talking Sitka or Englemann, RW or Hog, Lights or Mediums, Slot or Paddle, Bone or Tusq, Forward or Backward scalloping, etc., there is a whole 'nother level of coffee enjoyment.

Play it daily for best results.

After a bit of research on coffee ROASTING (my next step - I already have a 35 year old Braun coffee grinder that's still wonderful...) I came across this website:  http://www.sweetmarias.com/airpop/airpopmethod.php

Apparently you can use certain popcorn hot-air popping machines to roast green coffee beans to perfection.  The brand of machine doesn't matter, as long as the hot air comes in from the SIDES at the bottom of the chamber.  Does no more than 4 oz. at a time, but that's about my morning two large cups' worth!

I'm going to try it! :whistling:
RW Skaggs, the tinman:

Acorn House Custom by Chris Kenney:Tinman "Heart   Guitar" SJ; Osage Orange; Master Grade Italian Spruce; Inlay by Jimi Wingert   :D
Rainsong H-DR1100N2
McKnight Mini-Mac V; Madagascar + Italian double top
John Helton Custom OM; Honduran Mahogany Burl
Seagull Parlor in Nashville high tuning

Quote from: rwskaggs on December 01, 2011, 09:05:07 AM
After a bit of research on coffee ROASTING (my next step - I already have a 35 year old Braun coffee grinder that's still wonderful...) I came across this website:  http://www.sweetmarias.com/airpop/airpopmethod.php

Apparently you can use certain popcorn hot-air popping machines to roast green coffee beans to perfection.  The brand of machine doesn't matter, as long as the hot air comes in from the SIDES at the bottom of the chamber.  Does no more than 4 oz. at a time, but that's about my morning two large cups' worth!

I'm going to try it! :whistling:

My cousin does this and likes the taste.  Check your local Goodwill store for hot air poppers.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Air poppers:  good used ones are:
Poppery II
Poppery I (rare but the best popper for coffee roasting)
Popcorn Pumper
Proctor Silex

The good used ones are at least 1200W and made in the USA. 

Discard the plastic top and wedge a soup can in the top to enlarge the roasting chamber.  Keep the lid attached so you can somewhat regulate the heat.  Use a long extension cord if the roasts finish too quickly.  A popper roast should last more than 6 minutes, perhaps up to 9 or 10.  YMMV.
Play it daily for best results.

:coffee :coffee :coffee......Who'd have thunk it?    :winkin:
RW Skaggs, the tinman:

Acorn House Custom by Chris Kenney:Tinman "Heart   Guitar" SJ; Osage Orange; Master Grade Italian Spruce; Inlay by Jimi Wingert   :D
Rainsong H-DR1100N2

Haven't tried roasting our own (yet) because we're usually too busy with other things. We do, however buy roasted beans from
Austin Roasting Co. in Texas. I have nothing but good to say about them.
We usually buy in 5lb bulk packs, and invariably return to Central American coffees.
Costa Rica Tres Rios & Terrazu
Guatemalan Antigua

Jess, the owner is constantly getting new beans from various suppliers and will include samples for us to try.

We're very satisfied customers!
"Time flies like an arrow..Fruit flies like a banana"
Townes Van Zandt

Quote from: Denis on December 02, 2011, 06:33:33 AM
Mmmm...coffee...make mine black, no sugar... :coffee

:donut :donut2 :donut :donut2

That is the only way to drink coffee. Just add STRONG to the list. Sitting here enjoying a French Press of  Maragogype as I type!

Years ago, I was lots of cream, lots of sugar...then for a long time, it was just cream.  Once you get the taste for black, unsweetened coffee, there's no turning back.  I do like the occasional latte or cappuccino thought.   :coffee

I splash a little whole milk in my coffee at home, but during the day when I'm working it's black, as it's not convenient to carry milk around, and powdered creamers are unthinkable to me.  I got to where I prefer black during the day, especially if I'm drinking out of my old black thermos lid.  But at home, out of my white coffee mugs, I like the look of the lightened coffee with the splash of milk.  Black doesn't taste right at home, and anything other than black doesn't taste right away from home. Odd, I know.  But I never put sugar in coffee, no matter where I'm at.

I will say that this time of year I do like to stop by the Green Machine for one of those pumpkin lattes, or the occasional ginerbread latte.  Like egg nog, the season seems to call for it.

While I'm aware of my caffeine addiction, I try to limit myself to no more than 2-3 cups a day.  More than that and I'm shaking all day

Quote from: Denis on December 02, 2011, 01:35:19 PM
While I'm aware of my caffeine addiction, I try to limit myself to no more than 2-3 cups a day.  More than that and I'm shaking all day

That happened to me today...and guess what I was doing this morning? Working on modifications to surface mount technology
circuit boards.  The biggest components were the size of a grain of rice!

It didn't go well.

"Time flies like an arrow..Fruit flies like a banana"
Townes Van Zandt

I don't mind the taste of our well water up north but it makes horrible coffee so we use bottled water for coffee there. At home we have a reverse osmosis system for drinking water and coffee.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Great feedback on this thread.  Have a  :coffee on me  :thumb

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on December 02, 2011, 04:21:17 PM
I don't mind the taste of our well water up north but it makes horrible coffee so we use bottled water for coffee there. At home we have a reverse osmosis system for drinking water and coffee.

I love the RO system we've had for two years...after an eternity of living on sulfur well water, it's like heaven!  Best coffee, tea, Crystal lite, ...whatever!
RW Skaggs, the tinman:

Rainsong H-DR1100N2

20 years ago my doc told me to cut down on my coffee intake.I went from about 36 cups a day to 3 a day.Now I'm up to about 20 and feel great.I do get the shake's now and then but a cup of coffee cure's them.I can quit most things but coffee and cig's are not on my list of quiting anytime soon.I know the smoking thing is dicusting too most but ...what can you do. :coffee :coffee :coffee :coffee.Oh ya I'm a wuss black with 1 teasoon of brown sugar.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help