Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New button suggestion... "Respect" (for "Respected By")  (Read 1398 times)
mike in lytle

Ignore
« on: May 11, 2017, 02:03:16 AM »

So....
I was thinking maybe we can have a new button for "Respect", like we have a button for "Ignore".
This would show up as "Respected By" as opposed to "Ignored By".
This would be based around some thing like "the information given by this person has merit, and can be relied upon and given consideration".
You get the idea. Just tossing it out there.
Mike
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 03:00:56 AM »

A good idea.

How about eliminating ignore?

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 03:14:17 AM »

Respect button is a cool  idea

We should not get rid of the ignore button as its a kinda respect button.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 09:57:33 AM »

How 'bout a "like" button for posts that you ... like? I would hope we all respect each other. Except for that nutbar from Kentucky. The ignore button has its purpose for the few you don't respect or just don't want to hear from due to earlier experience.   
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 11:33:54 AM »

Sounds like folks want this forum to be more like Facebook....  one of the things I 👍 about here is, it isn't like Facebook.

Once in a while, I wish there was a "like" button, but then I realize I just don't have anything worthwhile to add.  OTOH, once in a while I wish there was a STFU button...

Ed
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 01:18:13 PM »

That's the Ignore button.

Sounds like folks want this forum to be more like Facebook....  one of the things I 👍 about here is, it isn't like Facebook.

Once in a while, I wish there was a "like" button, but then I realize I just don't have anything worthwhile to add.  OTOH, once in a while I wish there was a STFU button...

Ed

One problem with the Ignore button is people make more of if it than it deserves.

If you use it, then you might be judged by others.

If other people use it on you, then it's easy to take that as a slight.

Somedays I ignore the sunshine, other days I ignore the rain, sometimes I ignore the weather altogether.  It means no more or less than I have other priorities at the time.  I don't have any inclination to insult or demean a rainbow. 

I understand and expect that what I write may not warrant some folks' attention. I'd rather they hit the ignore button than be annoyed every time they encounter something I wrote.

Long live the Ignore button.

Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 06:48:19 PM »

I have always used the Babylon theme, when they added the others I was resistant to change.  There is no ignore button with the Babylon theme, if you want to ignore someone you have to go to your profile and type in the screen names you want to ignore.  Easier to just bypass posts from users you don't want to read.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 05:01:00 AM »

While on the question of buttons: where do you lock in your preference for "style". Every time I open the forum it comes up with a style I'm not fond of and, even though I "change" it, the next time it reverts back to the previous one.

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 08:17:57 PM »

While on the question of buttons: where do you lock in your preference for "style". Every time I open the forum it comes up with a style I'm not fond of and, even though I "change" it, the next time it reverts back to the previous one.
Go to your profile, click on "look and layout preferences" at the top you will see "current theme", click change. When you get back to the previous page click change profile.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 08:53:06 AM »

So....
I was thinking maybe we can have a new button for "Respect", like we have a button for "Ignore".
This would show up as "Respected By" as opposed to "Ignored By".
This would be based around some thing like "the information given by this person has merit, and can be relied upon and given consideration".
You get the idea. Just tossing it out there.
Mike

I like that idea and especially your definition of what that designation would indicate.  I don't know if "respect" would be the best term for it since I think we mostly (and hopefully) respect each other most of the time, even when we agree to disagree.  Personally, I often wonder if the tips and ideas I offer are considered to be reliable, believable, and useful by members; especially if it conflicts with other members advice.

A "like" button, to me, would be an endorsement of a certain post or thread.  I assume you are suggesting a button that applies to an individual member and not any particular post.

Some alternative suggestions for the name of the button you are proposing:  "endorsed",  "recommended", "promoted"??  Just riffing here.   

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 05:42:49 PM »

I like that idea and especially your definition of what that designation would indicate.  I don't know if "respect" would be the best term for it since I think we mostly (and hopefully) respect each other most of the time, even when we agree to disagree.  Personally, I often wonder if the tips and ideas I offer are considered to be reliable, believable, and useful by members; especially if it conflicts with other members advice.

A "like" button, to me, would be an endorsement of a certain post or thread.  I assume you are suggesting a button that applies to an individual member and not any particular post.

Some alternative suggestions for the name of the button you are proposing:  "endorsed",  "recommended", "promoted"??  Just riffing here.   

Things I considered....

1. Information given is held in very high regard.
2. Considered god-like in respect to Larrivee knowlege.
3. Totally awesome personality.
4. Funny stories are universally humorous.
5. Considered to be a strong supporterof Larrivee.
6. Knows the Larrivee family personally.
7. Has met many other forum members in person.
8. Deserving of the highest pinnacle of respect.
9. Overwhelmingly generous to everyone, but....
10. Cuts down the troll quickly and humanely.

There's thirteen hundred and fifty two other things I could list, but that's the idea. It is a personal recognition of that member. Could also be "Admired by", "Esteemed by", "Revered by", "Venerated by", "Put on a pedestal by", "Held in awe by"....

Mike
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 06:43:34 PM »

We're probably constrained by what the Simple Machines Forum software supports. That's what we're using here.  Someone may want to take this on as a research project. SNM (someone, not me)

I've worked with other systems that allow you to *like* individual posts and the author of those individual posts gains points that can be then made visible to the community at large.

The *likes" system ascribes value to individual posts.
The accumulation of *likes* for posts one authors, ascribes value to the author.

These systems expensive.

eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 09:06:27 PM »

We're probably constrained by what the Simple Machines Forum software supports. That's what we're using here. 

Good.

Ed
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 09:43:42 PM »

I had to go look. The current version of the Simple Machines Forum - version 2.1 has features like likes and lots of other fun stuff.

We're on version 1.1.21

An upgrade looks like a piece of work of indeterminate size for whoever is keeping the lights on.

mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2017, 12:45:34 AM »

I had to go look.
Yeah, me too.
It's open source.
Also, what I did is go look at the source files for various pages, like individual threads, and forum member pages.
I can't look at our forum software itself, don't know how.
Each member has an individual ID number, like I  am 11xxx, Danny is 5xxx, LV19 is 3xxx, etc.
It is all based on that.
The ignore command is stupid simple, it is part of the "posting code template" I think and we could have multiple buttons.
The respect (or whatever) button would act the same as the ignore button, except to NOT "not display" the posts, but would still add a tally to a "respected by" in the forum member profile page.
I am not a computer guy, I just used to write our family homepage HTML code 20 years ago so I can recognize what I see.
Oh yeah, the moderators code does not allow for "ignore".
Wondered why the examples in the FAQ don't talk about that.... maybe cause a moderators example was used.
Mike
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2017, 06:32:26 AM »

Things I considered....

1. Information given is held in very high regard.
2. Considered god-like in respect to Larrivee knowlege.
3. Totally awesome personality.
4. Funny stories are universally humorous.
5. Considered to be a strong supporterof Larrivee.
6. Knows the Larrivee family personally.
7. Has met many other forum members in person.
8. Deserving of the highest pinnacle of respect.
9. Overwhelmingly generous to everyone, but....
10. Cuts down the troll quickly and humanely.

There's thirteen hundred and fifty two other things I could list, but that's the idea. It is a personal recognition of that member. Could also be "Admired by", "Esteemed by", "Revered by", "Venerated by", "Put on a pedestal by", "Held in awe by"....

Mike

WHOA, that's way more criteria than anything I envisioned.  I don't know if any member would qualify.  I certainly wouldn't.  I'm definitely not interested in classifying people or encouraging cliques.

In hindsight, I think I misunderstood your conception.  I thought you were simply talking about endorsing or recommending any members whos' tips and knowledge was useful, valuable, believable, and reliable.  Your 10 considerations are way over the top for me.

Maybe a simple "like" button would be more appropriate after all.  Presently, we have the  +1 icon at least.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2017, 02:05:58 PM »

WHOA, that's way more criteria than anything I envisioned

You misunderstood me, and I was not being serious. I should have added smileys behind each line or something.
In my first post, I said....
"This would be based around some thing like "the information given by this person has merit, and can be relied upon and given consideration".
I am content to just leave things be as they are.
Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: