Queston for current or former Martin owners

Started by lmacmil, November 21, 2011, 04:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teh - you asked 5 of your under 40 coworkers and they have never heard of Gordon Lightfoot? Really. Wow. I can understand if they didn't know any of his songs by name but never heard of him. And no - that doesn't mean "we're" getting old!

That really doesn't surprise me. I mentioned to my youngest daughter (36) a couple years ago that my wife and I were going to see Creedence Clearwater Revisited and she said she never heard of them, well after naming off several songs she said she had heard those songs but didn't know who did them.
I'm sure those co-workers would recognize several GL songs if you played them for them.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Dru Edwards on December 03, 2011, 07:10:38 AM
Wow - you're one of the very few that have ever seen/played the D35 Maury Muehleisen. I wish I could play one. For those of you who don't know, Maury played with Jim Croce and was killed in that same plane crash back in 1973.

I have #20 of 21 guitars built. I feel blessed to have been able to purchase this guitar. Jim Croce and Maury are the biggest reasons I started playing guitar.  I received it on 20 Sep this year. That date is very significant because it is the anniversary of the plane crash that took Jim and Maury from us. I was made aware of that significance by Maury's sister Mary, who was very instrumental in Martin building these wonderful guitars. I also have to thank Jon Garon At My Favorite Guitars for finding this very special guitar for me. If you should find yourself in South Louisiana I would be very happy to listen to you play it.
1987 Takamine EN-10C
2008 Larrivee  LV-10
2010 Martin D35 Maury Muhlheison
2010 Martin D21- Special
2011 Martin HD-18V Custom
2012 Martin OMM John Renbourn

Since I was 12 a Martin dread has been my iconic guitar, but I never got one. In fact I never owned a steel string guitar other than at the ripe age of 17 having a foray into with a Yamaha FG 300. It was too tight at the nut for my big hands, and I stayed with nylon. Many decades went by and I played less and less. Finally my wife declared that my birthday present would be a guitar I always wanted, expecting to custom order a wider neck. I went to audition everything I could find, narrowing in on a Martin or SCGS. But I was also disappointed in the rolled off tone of the D-28's that I expected to buy. I tried OM's and liked them but missed the bassiness of the dreads.

Then I lucked into my L-09 and it was love at first strum. It gives me OM openness and balance with with weight of most dreads. But my wonderful wife knew I still had Martin love, and plotted for years to find me what I had dreamed of - and surprised me with my Martin D Mahogany!  Now I have both a tru classic Martin sound of the Golden Era and the wonderful balance and modern sound from my Larrivees. I am a happy man!  :guitar
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

Quote from: cke on December 05, 2011, 11:49:24 AM
Now I have both a true classic Martin sound of the Golden Era and the wonderful balance and modern sound from my Larrivees. I am a happy man!  :guitar

That's a great story.  Congrats on having two great guitars and one great wife!  :smile:

Quote from: cke on December 05, 2011, 11:49:24 AM
 Now I have both a tru classic Martin sound of the Golden Era and the wonderful balance and modern sound from my Larrivees. I am a happy man!  :guitar

:+1 on that comment...one of my first "quality" solid wood guitars was a Larrivee OM-03RE, which to this day, I wish I still had and hadn't gotten GAS to trade...but we all know how that goes!
My first Martin was a used beauty D-28 on which I got a deal...again, GAS and traded for a 000-28EC Sunburst and finally got down to present top dog Martin, 000-28VS.
My comparible Larrivee now is a BEAUTIFUL 000-60 and I love it...love them all...I know you can relate!  As he said "am a happy Man".

:thumb
Larrivee 000-60
Martin 000-28 VS
Guild Mark II
Alvarez Yairi CY 127 CE
Alvarez Yairi CY 140 CE
Two cats who like my playing

Quote from: Glennd on December 05, 2011, 07:11:33 AM
I have #20 of 21 guitars built. I feel blessed to have been able to purchase this guitar. Jim Croce and Maury are the biggest reasons I started playing guitar.  I received it on 20 Sep this year. That date is very significant because it is the anniversary of the plane crash that took Jim and Maury from us. I was made aware of that significance by Maury's sister Mary, who was very instrumental in Martin building these wonderful guitars. I also have to thank Jon Garon At My Favorite Guitars for finding this very special guitar for me. If you should find yourself in South Louisiana I would be very happy to listen to you play it.

Glenn - I really appreciate the comment. I'm up in Eastern Canada so I don't think I'll make it to Louisiana anytime soon, although I did visit my cousin twice about 10 years ago when she was living there, an Acadian teaching French.

As far as the guitar goes, I followed the threads at the Martin forum, although I'm not a member and never posted. Mary was involved and I'm sure that added some personal sentiment to the build. I was travelling between cities today in my car and listed to a few Jim Croce songs in my car.  I've also read tons of great reviews of Jon over at MFG.

Is this your main guitar?

My favorite guitar is usually the one I am playing at the time. Prior to getting the Maury playing time was about equal among the D21 , Custom Hog and The LV10. Now the Maury gets half of my time with the other three still getting some attention. The Maury has a beautiful pianoesque sound with sustain till next week. It is very balanced from high to low with great mids. Note separation is very distinctive. Thanks for your interest. This is the guitar that keeps me playing!
1987 Takamine EN-10C
2008 Larrivee  LV-10
2010 Martin D21- Special

Quote from: Glennd on December 06, 2011, 05:11:04 PM
My favorite guitar is usually the one I am playing at the time. Prior to getting the Maury playing time was about equal among the D21 , Custom Hog and The LV10. Now the Maury gets half of my time with the other three still getting some attention. The Maury has a beautiful pianoesque sound with sustain till next week. It is very balanced from high to low with great mids. Note separation is very distinctive. Thanks for your interest. This is the guitar that keeps me playing!

That's how I feel two. I can go weeks playing just my Martin and then I pick up the Taylor and that's what I'm playing for the next few weeks. It's great. 

You've got some great Martins! Have you ever tried a D-18GE? I never have but would love to.

I haven't played a D18GE, but hear nothing but great things about them. I have played a D18 Authentic. If you like Mahogany guitars, don't play one unless you can afford one!
1987 Takamine EN-10C
2008 Larrivee  LV-10
2010 Martin D21- Special

Quote from: Glennd on December 09, 2011, 06:40:07 AM
I haven't played a D18GE, but hear nothing but great things about them. I have played a D18 Authentic. If you like Mahogany guitars, don't play one unless you can afford one!

I thought about getting the amberburst D18GE (or the OM) from MFG; however, brazilian rosewood is used on the guitar (I think it's the headstock binding or something like that) and I'm worried about having it shipped to Canada. I'd spend the $ on the GE but the authentics are out of my range (I've never seen them either).

Quote from: Dru Edwards on December 09, 2011, 04:43:58 PM
I thought about getting the amberburst D18GE (or the OM) from MFG; however, brazilian rosewood is used on the guitar (I think it's the headstock binding or something like that) and I'm worried about having it shipped to Canada. I'd spend the $ on the GE but the authentics are out of my range (I've never seen them either).

they replace the brw with madi on the 18GE's for export.

d

Quote from: dermot on December 09, 2011, 10:39:43 PM
they replace the brw with madi on the 18GE's for export.

d

You're right. I think the guitar is called the D-18GE Madi or something lilke that.

Picked up a used 1969 Martin D-28 in the early 1980s "because" that's what my bluegrass friends were playing.  This is the same Martin as the Johnny Cash D-28 that went to the National Instrument Museum in Dakota.  Stopped playing BG some time ago, but kept the guitar out of nostalgia & out of lack of sufficient energy to sell it.  If the right buyer comes along, I could let it go.

Fast forward to 2005 or so, when I found a new Martin 000-28VS that was spectacular.  Played the heck out of that one before I used it in a trade for a glorious, full-throated Apitius F mandolin.  Haven't really looked back, or regretted the "loss" of that fine guitar.  But it was one of the excellent Martins.

Why not regret the trade of that fine 000-28VS?  The answer is simple.  I have held onto other spectacular modern guitars, including a Larrivee Forum IV hogtop ( # 14) and an SD-50, both of which you'd have to pry from my arms at death. 

I also love my little P-01, which was my first Larrivee; but it may have to go to a new home to make room for the newest acquisition.  GAS is a story in itself.

Quote from: jumpjibe on December 17, 2011, 04:52:52 PM
Picked up a used 1969 Martin D-28 in the early 1980s "because" that's what my bluegrass friends were playing.  This is the same Martin as the Johnny Cash D-28 that went to the National Instrument Museum in Dakota.  Stopped playing BG some time ago, but kept the guitar out of nostalgia & out of lack of sufficient energy to sell it.  If the right buyer comes along, I could let it go.

Fast forward to 2005 or so, when I found a new Martin 000-28VS that was spectacular.  Played the heck out of that one before I used it in a trade for a glorious, full-throated Apitius F mandolin.  Haven't really looked back, or regretted the "loss" of that fine guitar.  But it was one of the excellent Martins.

Why not regret the trade of that fine 000-28VS?  The answer is simple.  I have held onto other spectacular modern guitars, including a Larrivee Forum IV hogtop ( # 14) and an SD-50, both of which you'd have to pry from my arms at death. 

I also love my little P-01, which was my first Larrivee; but it may have to go to a new home to make room for the newest acquisition.  GAS is a story in itself.

Ain't that the truth!  That 000-28VS sounds sweet!

Except for the "modern" boutique brands, I have owned just about all of the major badges in my 4+ playing decades, and I will concur that Martin guitars are indeed fine instruments, especially their Standard Series  the 18 and 28 specifically. I currently own a '00 000-15 and a '99 0000-28H and they are both outstanding instruments. That being said, I also am the proud owner of two Larrivee's, an early Parlor 01 series  (Koa b&s) and an OM-01. They are equally as fine as my Martins and so very different. But I have noticed that I've played more mediocre Martins manufactured in the past 10 years than I have Larrivees made in the last decade. Probably due to the dizzying myriad of models Martin offers and the fact that Larrivee is a smaller volume instrument maker. I came of age with the "Martin sound", but Lordy, my recent discovery of Larrivees makes my blood run faster. So is Martin the top o' the heap? No, IMHO they've just been around a lot longer, and established sound model sizing and construction techniques that are the basis for acoustic guitar makers today. So play every brand and model you happen across, and own those that touch you the most. My Harmony Sovereign h1260 is amazing, and has no Famous Name gracing the headstock, just outstanding tone and playability...

Quote from: silvertone62 on December 28, 2011, 08:00:28 PM
Except for the "modern" boutique brands, I have owned just about all of the major badges in my 4+ playing decades, and I will concur that Martin guitars are indeed fine instruments, especially their Standard Series  the 18 and 28 specifically. I currently own a '00 000-15 and a '99 0000-28H and they are both outstanding instruments. That being said, I also am the proud owner of two Larrivee's, an early Parlor 01 series  (Koa b&s) and an OM-01. They are equally as fine as my Martins and so very different. But I have noticed that I've played more mediocre Martins manufactured in the past 10 years than I have Larrivees made in the last decade. Probably due to the dizzying myriad of models Martin offers and the fact that Larrivee is a smaller volume instrument maker. I came of age with the "Martin sound", but Lordy, my recent discovery of Larrivees makes my blood run faster. So is Martin the top o' the heap? No, IMHO they've just been around a lot longer, and established sound model sizing and construction techniques that are the basis for acoustic guitar makers today. So play every brand and model you happen across, and own those that touch you the most. My Harmony Sovereign h1260 is amazing, and has no Famous Name gracing the headstock, just outstanding tone and playability...
My Sovereign has FENDER on the headstock. :smile: It's a 1969 or 70 Harmony though.

I love my OM-03R but had always wanted a Martin HD-35. When my wife gifted me with the funds for another guitar I tried a number in my price range out and it came down to the Martin D-16GT and Larrivee D-03. Much as I loved the superior quality of the D-03 it just didn't have that rumble of the D-16GT.

FWIW I'd love to have a LV-05 one day... and a Taylor GS8...and another Martin.... :wink:
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

Quote from: kwakatak on January 07, 2012, 03:45:21 PM
... I tried a number in my price range out and it came down to the Martin D-16GT and Larrivee D-03. Much as I loved the superior quality of the D-03 it just didn't have that rumble of the D-16GT.

Just curious if you tried the D-16RGT too?  Although I tend to be a mahogany guy, when I compared a 16GT to an R16GT, the rosewood model sounded way better.  Since they were both showroom models, I have no idea of the relative age of the strings.

I have sold a few Martins in order to finance a few Larrivees.
I still have a few Martins but my Larrivees get a lot more play time. The Martins mostly stay in the closet.