Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Queston for current or former Martin owners  (Read 14310 times)
LoMa

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2012, 03:41:59 AM »

I am a fan of Martin guitars and Larrivee's too. I like Martin's that are lighter weight and mid-end (between $2000-$3000 retail, series 18 or 21 and up - the 16's and below have a different construction). The be-end and end-all for me is my current Martin OM-21 Special. It's just got everything I want in tone, sustain, and playability, including te neck shape.

In the Larrivee terrintory, I prefer the lower end 03 and even 01 series. I've tended to like the satin finish toe more than the gloss finish guitars here. Maybe coincidence, and maybe not. I love the parlors, the 00's, and the LS's.

But to be totally honest, if I could have only one guitar, it would be my Martin OM-21 Special.

If I could have a second, it would be a Forum III LS-03R, which I don't even own at the moment!

If I could have a third, it would be my Larrivee P-01 hog top parlor.

-Larrivee P-05 all quilted mahogany hogtop parlor
-Larrivee Special Edition Rosewood & sitka parlor
-Martin 0-15s slothead hogtop 12 fretter
-Martin 00-28v rosewood & adirondack
-Martin CEO-7 rosewood & adirondack

FOR SALE:
-Larrivee 00-3r short 24-3/4" scale, rosewood binding, Colosi bone nut & saddle. Very lush with overtones! $900 + shi
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2012, 05:11:18 AM »

I am a fan of Martin guitars and Larrivee's too. I like Martin's that are lighter weight and mid-end (between $2000-$3000 retail, series 18 or 21 and up - the 16's and below have a different construction). The be-end and end-all for me is my current Martin OM-21 Special. It's just got everything I want in tone, sustain, and playability, including te neck shape.

In the Larrivee terrintory, I prefer the lower end 03 and even 01 series. I've tended to like the satin finish toe more than the gloss finish guitars here. Maybe coincidence, and maybe not. I love the parlors, the 00's, and the LS's.

But to be totally honest, if I could have only one guitar, it would be my Martin OM-21 Special.

If I could have a second, it would be a Forum III LS-03R, which I don't even own at the moment!

If I could have a third, it would be my Larrivee P-01 hog top parlor.

Just a little identification with your taste here. I have an OM-21 made in 1993. It has a wider nut and saddle spacing than current specs. And it is all real wood etc. Not a "special", but good enough that when I let it go for awhile, I missed it too much and had to get it back. Which I did, and I have also said a few times if I could only keep one, it would be the OM-21. Mine has a Baggs pick up as well. I also really like my F-III MH/IS. Between these two I feel the ground between a good rosewood guitar and a mahogany with a spruce top is definitely covered. I also feel that the F-III is special and would be hard to part with.

The F-IV I have is way better than the 15 series Martins though. I am the one who originally ordered the F-IV and it was because I didn't care for the Martin 15 series dull sound. (at least the ones I have played)

Larrivee just does mahogany better. I'm not saying that a 17 series Martin is not as good though, but it's bracing is just like the OM-21 I believe, which gives it that Martin full sound.

Nuff said, goin to bed. blush

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
mg21sp

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2012, 09:08:34 AM »

I feel the same way!  I believe the Larrivees are mahogany based, for the most part.
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2012, 11:48:38 PM »

For me, Martin is where I'm at. Sold all my Lav and currently own a OMJM, OM-28V, 00-18V and HD-28, recently sold my 0-16NY'er.

IMO, I wouldn't say it's a better git then a Lav but I much prefer the Martin tone.
un5trung

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2012, 03:26:55 AM »

Recent physical incapacitation means I need to sell my Martin 000-28 and find something smaller.  I'd love a 00-18 but budgetary constraints mean I'll probably go with the 00-15.  Orrrr . . . A Larrivee all-mahogany parlor, what -09?  I'm still not clear on the Larrivee numbering.  Anyway, if I bought right now it would be the Martin, because that's what I know.  Still I'm willing to keep looking at the Larrivee parlors -- ya never know --
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: