Our Turntable Is Returning!

Started by wyodeb, December 14, 2004, 02:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We finally found a place that will repair Dual turntables. Ours was the victim of unsupervised toddlers (I suppose it could be mistaken for a carousel for beanie babies...), and has been out of commission for years. I can hardly decide what to play first! Cat Stevens, Dan Fogelberg, John Denver, Gordon Lightfoot, Simon & Garfunkel, Fleetwood Mac, Rolling Stones, Joe Walsh, Eagles, Jimmy Buffet, Apollo 100, Moody Blues, Kansas, Styx, Pink Floyd, Arlo Guthrie, some I'm embarrassed to name, the options are almost endless! We have only been collecting CDs for a few years, and most of my favorite stuff is still on vinyl!

Oh Happy Day!

Deb :D
Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R

Congrats on the repair.I went out and bought a new turntable about 3 years ago.Gotta love vinyl scatches and all. :D  
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I haven't used my records for 10 years. What I think I want to do is copy them to CD's. I suspect that running the turntable into my laptop's audio in and burning a CD may work, but haven't tried it. I can stick a Behringer mixer between them if I have to.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

There will always be a warm place in my heart for taking out an "album" and looking at the cover, especially a gate fold album cover that opens up. You've got side A and side B to the album, and usually one or the other is your favorite.

Digital is great but vinyl has soul (if you are old enough to remember).

There was just something special about an album cover. It said a lot about the album inside. What happened to album covers?

You can find lots of good old LPs at garage sales.
I still have my turn table.
There are probably some members here that don't know what we are talking about. :unsure:  
Larrivee D60
Taylor 422 Maple
Delux Tele Plus

What I miss is opening a sealed album by taking the corner of my thumbnail and slicing through the cellophane, giving myself a nice cardboard paper cut in the process in the quick of my thumbnail. NOT!

But I'll bet a lot of you were cringing, remembering having done the same thing.
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

Don Your a very dark and evil creature sometime's.Oh buy the way OUCH x500,000 :D  
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I also have a pretty thick stack of 45s. Albums were where all my babysitting money went when I was a kid. My college roommate & I had a double row of albums that stretched all the way across our room. Did you ever look for the messages etched around the center? My favorites were on the Eagles albums. I can't remember now what they said, but some of them were pretty clever. I can't hear some songs in my head without the skips -- "There's a Place in the World for a Gambler" has a big one! :lol: I can remember being excited when they were lighter and no longer as brittle. Then they wouldn't shatter when you dropped them.

Deb
Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R

Glad to hear that others still have some of those old recordings to enjoy.  I miss my old vinyl records. I used to do repair on turntables and had a pretty good one in the old days. Not long before I moved to VA from Wash DC in 83 my house was robbed and the creeps stole, among other things, my entire record collection. I had stuff ranging from from Doc Watson to Joe Pass.  It is still painfull to dwell on.  

QuoteWhat I miss is opening a sealed album by taking the corner of my thumbnail and slicing through the cellophane, giving myself a nice cardboard paper cut in the process in the quick of my thumbnail. NOT!

But I'll bet a lot of you were cringing, remembering having done the same thing.
I ran a record store from about '78 until '87 and "cut" myself more times than I care to remember.....had 3200 lps in my collection once but narrowed it down to around 900 or so now with about the same amount of CD's.....the horrendous part of the collection is the tape collectioin......probably around 4 or 5 thousand titles on TDK SA and Maxell XLII 90 minute cassettes (one selection on each side)
Running the store had many benefits, but the biggest was taking music home to record for future use ;)  
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Loriente Clarita EIR/Euro spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"

QuoteYou can find lots of good old LPs at garage sales.
I still have my turn table.
There are probably some members here that don't know what we are talking about. :unsure:
All I know D4VE is that I saw a turntable at my dad's house and tried to play some CD's on it and got some aweful sound from it  :P  
size=8]Larrivee D-09e BZ
Larrivee D-10e
Larrivee D-70e
Larrivee D-09-12
Martin 000-18
Taylor 810 L1-LTD BZ
Taylor T5-S (2)
Carvin BB70 Bass
Peavey Wolfgang

Deb, i'm glad to hear you still like LP's.  in case your not aware the LP market is still very much out there today mostly targeted at the dedicated high end music lovers who prefer LPs to CD's.  I'm a long time music lover and use an SACD player (Super Audio CD) which  many would say matches the quality of the finest LPs and are a big improvement over regular CDs.  like the LP market it's a small but dedicated nitch group.  There are current turntables going for anywhere from $5,000 to $80,000 out there for the truly hard core LP lovers.  if i had the money i would be among them.  long live LPs :)  

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor

QuoteI haven't used my records for 10 years. What I think I want to do is copy them to CD's. I suspect that running the turntable into my laptop's audio in and burning a CD may work, but haven't tried it. I can stick a Behringer mixer between them if I have to.
Yep - that should work. If you have a setup where the turntable is independent from the rest of the system (i.e. has outputs that you connect to the amp) then you can take that signal right into the sound card. If not (like mine!) I just took the headphone out signal, made sure that the signal was low enough to avoid clipping, and that worked great!

I now have "Dark Side of the Moon" on CD! Unfortunately, it is not in quadrophonic (which my vinyl is!)  B)  
Ian (in Cedar Creek, TX)
1974 Eko Ranger VI
2002 Larrivee LV10E
2007 McIlroy A25C

"When you're tired, and can't do anything, don't do anything. And while you're not doing anything, practice" - Robert Fripp

Oh, this is fun!
Yes, the under the nail cuts because you had to open that album...and then the cover art; being an artist/student, we were always waiting to see what was next, Yes and the Moody Blues were/are some goodies!  I just listened to a cassette (fitness, nowhere near your total, but still the majority of my collection-350ish) that of course was recorded from an LP; Steven Stills doing Black Queen(man, what an album; Stills' 1st with the stuffed giraffe and his Martin on the cover--Grammy winner--AND having both Clapton and Hendrix playing on it--whew),with the scratches from it being a garage sale album.  Just gives that song the Soul of those blues!
I still have many LP's that were only used once to record from, those Maxell XLII's were the best--I still have some 20-25 yrs. later!  Now I cant find them to re-record  :(  Old school, man.  When I find them, I have the turntable waiting.  :)  

Woodbadger,
I have an independant turntable; so, I can just plug it into the PC and burn the LP to CD?  A, OK?!  

Well you will have to record first, I think, to WAV and then burn it.
Ian (in Cedar Creek, TX)
1974 Eko Ranger VI
2002 Larrivee LV10E
2007 McIlroy A25C

"When you're tired, and can't do anything, don't do anything. And while you're not doing anything, practice" - Robert Fripp

When I purchased my stereo system it came with a bonus turntable. I laughed at first, but since I've become an avid record collector. I hit all the discount, Salvation Army, etc. I can now say I'm the proud owner of Frampton Comes Alive and Rumors, which could never afford as a child. Also Boston's first, Loggins and Messina, America... I even picked upan eight track player and now have quite a few of them as well.Patrick
CA Bluegrass Performer, Larrivee D-02 (sapele),  Martin LXK2 \"If we weren't all crazy, we would go insane"

Just had to say "There's a Place In The World For A Gambler" is one of my favorite songs. I was so excited when I picked up that album. Having brain freeze- is the album Souvenirs? Is a great song to strum on with easy chords. Also love the version on Fogelberg's live CD. Sorry tohijack the thread but love that song! Patrick
CA Bluegrass Performer, Larrivee D-02 (sapele),  Martin LXK2 \"If we weren't all crazy, we would go insane"

My wife bought a "phonograrh" type record player for me last Christmas; she got it at Restoration Hardware at the local mall.  It is a retro looking vinyl cased player with a pop-off lid and stereo speakers in the sides.  I am 40 years old and it reminds me of the record players that my teachers used in grade school.  I love that it is self contained.  It's funky.  I have about 600 old records in the basement.  When the mood hits me I'll play records on the thing.  It's so much fun that we bought my father inlaw the same unit for Christmas this year, he has many old Bob Dylan albums from his college days that he saved as personal school mementos.   He's going to love it.  They only cost about $129 USD in case any of you need a neat gift idea.

John
Carry On!

John

i went through our LP collection last night and it was a time capsule of my past...among at least 50 albums that i still have are eric clapton, dan folgleberg, cat stevens, junbglebook, dr. doolittle and bambi soundtracks and of course cheech and chong the big bamboo

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor