Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Bakersfield arrived today  (Read 5128 times)
PM33AUD

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2011, 10:59:50 PM »

And that ^^^ right there is why Larrivee is top notch.   
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2011, 02:27:39 AM »

^^^^
^^^^
Agreed, plus a benefit of belonging to this forum where the company (Matt in this case) checks in and takes a genuine interest in making things right.  We can be thankful for that.

(I did check that picture on guitar adoptions, and the treble E string does look like it's out of alignment to me)

Kurt

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

jojo123

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2011, 01:27:19 AM »

With all due respect, I would encourage Larrivee to address quality control issues.  How in the world can you miss strap buttons?   Another poster mentions alignment issues. 

I have been looking into Forum guitars and there is actually a sticky related to Forum 4 intonation issues.  Other issues as well on high profile Forum guitars but no sense belaboring the point. 

I am Larrivee fan owning 3 currently and want them to succeed as much as possible.  I think there is a genius in the wood they sell and the pickups Matt is producing.  But I think there is room for improvement in quality control.  This is meant as constructive criticism because I care about the company.

P-03 OM-09  RS-4
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2011, 04:00:58 PM »

With all due respect, I would encourage Larrivee to address quality control issues.  How in the world can you miss strap buttons?   Another poster mentions alignment issues. 

I have been looking into Forum guitars and there is actually a sticky related to Forum 4 intonation issues.  Other issues as well on high profile Forum guitars but no sense belaboring the point. 

I am Larrivee fan owning 3 currently and want them to succeed as much as possible.  I think there is a genius in the wood they sell and the pickups Matt is producing.  But I think there is room for improvement in quality control.  This is meant as constructive criticism because I care about the company.

Based on Matthew's comments in this thread, I'd say they are addressing quality control issues - no doubt this neck alignment issue and the missing strap buttons were both a big heads up to the folks at Oxnard. So I'd say there's probably a whole lot of guitars getting the twice over before they're heading out the door and some other internal check-ups being made...

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
cynic

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2011, 07:05:57 PM »

I wanted to update you all with the current status:

I got an email the other day from Matthew Larrivee asking for my phone number. Surprised, I shot off a reply. Within two minutes (maybe one, I wasn't timing) I was speaking to Matthew. He generously offered to pay to have the guitar returned to Larrivee and to build me another. He walked through each of my concerns and graciously explained his reasoning behind various choices made in the design of the guitar. Additionally, he invited me up for a tour of the factory. As of yesterday, the guitar is back in his hands, and I had to take a rain check on the tour but plan to drop in next time I'm in Ventura County.

For what it's worth, this wasn't my first Larrivee, it's my fourth. As I stated I'm a fan of the company as well as the guitars, and my need for a twangy-style instrument fortunately coincided with the introduction of the Bakersfield. Being a fan of their products already, it was an easy choice to place my order.

This experience has done nothing to tarnish my opinion of the company or the guitars it produces. In fact, I believe you will never find a company with more desire to exceed customer expectations. Lots of companies talk the talk, but the follow-thru demonstrated by Larrivee in this instance is practically unheard of these days. I actually stopped him at one point during the call to make sure he didn't have me confused with someone important.

Get behind, and stay behind this company folks. They're one of the really good ones.
PM33AUD

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2011, 07:23:07 PM »

Wow, that's awesome.  ML also treated me very well with my pup dealio on my new RS4.  I've dealt with other manufacturers and it's hard to even get a human, yet alone the owner to talk to.  I am extremely happy with Larrivee (the RS4 is my first and just a delightful instrument) and am already on board for the Forum V.  Now I just need to try one of their acoustics!
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2011, 08:31:19 PM »

I wanted to update you all with the current status: I got an email the other day from Matthew Larrivee asking for my phone number. Surprised, I shot off a reply. Within two minutes (maybe one, I wasn't timing) I was speaking to Matthew...

Get behind, and stay behind this company folks. They're one of the really good ones.

I had a similar experience - not with a product problem, but with Matthew taking interest in my concerns. When the RS-4 first came out, I was very excited to get one. I was especially impressed that Larrivee was using Tone Pros locking bridges and Lollar pickups! And having owned several Larrivee acoustics over the past 20 years, I knew their quality in both wood choice and construction.

But then I learned that Larrivee was switching to in-house built pickups. I was skeptical: this sounded to me like a simple, economic cost-cutting measure. I posted about it here, and like you, I got an e-mail from Matthew, and pretty soon we were talking on the phone! He spent a LOT of time with me talking about the quality of the raw materials going into the new pickups. I even gave him a couple opportunities to get off the phone, but he wanted to make sure I knew he was serious about building top notch pickups!

I was probably still a little skeptical, but I ordered my RS-4, and have never regretted it - I'm glad mine has the Larrivee pickups in it rather than the Lollars; they're that good. When I got my RS-2 with the P-90's, I had the same revelatory experience - these are AMAZING pickups!!! I LOVE 'EM!!!

I agree - Larrivee is a company you can be proud - and confident - to do business with; I know I will until the day I pack it in for that big gig in the sky...I only wish I could take my Larrivees with me!

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
jojo123

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2011, 12:24:55 AM »

I wanted to update you all with the current status:

I got an email the other day from Matthew Larrivee asking for my phone number. Surprised, I shot off a reply. Within two minutes (maybe one, I wasn't timing) I was speaking to Matthew. He generously offered to pay to have the guitar returned to Larrivee and to build me another. He walked through each of my concerns and graciously explained his reasoning behind various choices made in the design of the guitar. Additionally, he invited me up for a tour of the factory. As of yesterday, the guitar is back in his hands, and I had to take a rain check on the tour but plan to drop in next time I'm in Ventura County.

That is great follow-up !!   Very impressive response from Matt L.     

P-03 OM-09  RS-4
robertkoa

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2012, 03:11:30 AM »

I was shocked to see that the "standard fix" for some of the Eric Johnson Strats was to loosen the neck  and reposition so that the strings are parallel

and then re-tighten the bolts.

There simply should not be that much or any free play in the neck pocket to do that.

This is what  CNC Machines are for  and this is not what I'd expect in a top quality Guitar.
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2012, 04:39:01 AM »

robertkoa I have done that on countless Fenders over the years.Just because a machine cuts it doesn't mean its going to be perfect every time slight mis-postions happen and as I say cr*p happens.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2012, 04:53:59 AM »

robertkoa I have done that on countless Fenders over the years.Just because a machine cuts it doesn't mean its going to be perfect every time slight mis-postions happen and as I say cr*p happens.

It's pretty typical on ANY bolt-on guitar to have to tweak the neck if you've had the neck off the guitar or loosened for some reason (like to remove a Strat pickguard so you can change the pickups - with most 22 fret necks, you have to at least loosen the neck to remove the pickguard, unless you have a swimming pool route under the pickguard).

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2012, 05:14:51 AM »

It's pretty typical on ANY bolt-on guitar to have to tweak the neck if you've had the neck off the guitar or loosened for some reason (like to remove a Strat pickguard so you can change the pickups - with most 22 fret necks, you have to at least loosen the neck to remove the pickguard, unless you have a swimming pool route under the pickguard).
Absolutely.  And on older bolt on guitars that get a lot of playing time under their belts, the joint loosens up over time anyways.  Microscopic increases in screw hole size are inevitable after all those vibrations and stress on the neck joint from playing.  It's standard procedure to "fix" these by moving the neck back into position and re-tightening the bolts.  Sometimes thin shims are required as well.  No biggy.  I do it all the time when working on them or setting them up.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: