Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bakersfield Opinions  (Read 7963 times)
parkboy

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2011, 03:38:59 PM »

Hello,  I recently received a used RS-4 and a new Bakersfield.  These are the first Larrivee electrics I have bought.  The Bakersfield is butterscotch blonde and I bought it sight unseen.  The guitar plays and sounds great, nice hardware and pickups.  That aside, I have a few visual observations about the guitar.  I assume  these guitars were inspired by the famous telegib copies built by Larrivee, (Larrivee does offer an amber finish if you want your guitar to look like the telegib).  Makes sense to show you can build a better fender style guitar but doing so invites comparison.  I understand that a rosewood neck is an option.  How about body binding, (oops, that might be tough with the contoured body) and a color matched headstock on that wishlist as well as a four-way switch on a reversed control plate,(ok, that last one is kinda custom custom).  As far as colors offered,  go over to fender.com and look at their color chart.  Their butterscotch blonde is very different from mine.  Mine is a milkey finish that shows the grain of the wood.  IMO a clear finish showing off the woodgrain would have looked better.  I would suggest clear finishes that show off the nice wood these guitars are made of, or solid colors for those who just have to have something different.  I don't have pictures up yet, but I would invite all Bakersfield owners with optional finishes and,or rosewood necks to post pictures.  
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2011, 08:00:12 PM »

There are similarities with the telegib such as best of the best Hardware, wood, manufacturing techniques and the forearm cut is modeled after Seymour Duncan’s “Telegib”. There are many differences including different PUPs and Bridge

As for colors these are currently listed on the Larrivee Site:
Transparent Amber
Transparent Red
Butterscotch
Mary-Kay White
Metallic Blue
Copper
Black
Tobacco Sunburst

Mainly only seeing the traditional butterscotch & tobacco colors

Larrivee Butterscotch  and Fender Butterscotch:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
parkboy

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2011, 09:41:39 PM »

My Bakersfield looks similar to your picture, like a cross between a clear finish and a Mary Kay finish.  I went to the Larrivee site and the butterscotch guitar pictured is different looking than mine or yours.  It looks more like a clear vintage finish that shows off the woodgrain.  That looks better to me and thats what I expected when I ordered my guitar.  The pictured guitar on the Larrivee site with the toned neck of the fender in your picture is the ideal, imo.  Maybe Larrivee could try to match the pictured guitar on their site with a darker toned maple neck.  That would be the perfect guitar finish for me.
randmag

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2011, 10:39:05 PM »

I think these guitars can be better looking as well as better playing.

parkboy,

when you say better playing what exactly do you mean? Are you talking about playability in general or are you referring to tone. Please elaborate. I have a Bakersfield on order, which should be here any day now, so I'd like to hear your take on the guitar.

I have a RS-4 which I truly love. It's definitely my favorite guitar. I love the balance, feel of the neck and the incredible tones I get from the 3rd gen HB's. I too ordered the Bakersfield site unseen based on my RS-4 experience. I'm curious to hear your in depth review.

RS-4 Forum V Mini's,
RS-4 Goldtop HB's,
Bakersfield burst,
L03,
parkboy

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2011, 02:14:33 PM »

My comments were referring to the finish of the guitar.  I did not wish to sound  critical of these fine instruments, I was just pointing out the differences between the butterscotch guitar pictured on the Larrivee website and what I received.  The actual butterscotch finish on my guitar is similar to fender's body finish but the Larrivee's neck is  lighter toned.  I can tell you that the wood, finish and hardware are first rate.  The neck has a 12 inch radius like gibson and I believe is "U" shaped with a thickness of .90 at the first fret and .94 at the twelfth fret.  The guitar weighs 8.25 pounds.  I will defer comments about how the guitar plays and sounds to others.  I hope you enjoy your new guitar. 
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2011, 02:58:34 PM »

My comments were referring to the finish of the guitar. I was just pointing out the differences between the butterscotch guitar pictured on the Larrivee website and what I received.  The actual butterscotch finish on my guitar is similar to fender's body finish but the Larrivee's neck is  lighter toned.  I can tell you that the wood, finish and hardware are first rate.  

So it's the finish color on the Neck that you were not fond of As the Body finish of mine is exactly as on the Larrivee Site BUT pictures on line can sometimes vary from computer to computer.

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2011, 04:46:03 PM »

So it's the finish color on the Neck that you were not fond of As the Body finish of mine is exactly as on the Larrivee Site BUT pictures on line can sometimes vary from computer to computer.

Fenders too come with lighter necks.....wood color varies with lot and age.....

randmag

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2011, 10:38:11 PM »

Thanks parkboy,

As you can imagine I am quite anxious about receiving my Bakersfield. I'll post a pic when it arrives. I know what you mean about not wanting to comment on tone and playability since each person has different tastes and technique. Thanks again for your take on the guitar.

RS-4 Forum V Mini's,
RS-4 Goldtop HB's,
Bakersfield burst,
L03,
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2011, 11:15:27 PM »

Fenders too come with lighter necks.....wood color varies with lot and age.....

Fender only "tints" some of their necks, like their vintage series guitars and reissues. Most of the current models, like the MIM and MIA, don't get tinted necks. Even the one in your pic, with a "vintage" style bridge, doesn't have the tinted neck ... do you know which model that is (there are only about 300 Strat and 200 Tele versions these days!!!)?

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Miata13

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2011, 11:11:52 PM »

Yesterday was THE DAY....my Butterscotch Bakersfield HB Rosewood arrived from Dave at Guitar Adoptions....
Mine's a relative to the same guitar now on his website...(Dave takes much better photos!)
Butterscotch Bakersfield HB Rosewood

We're just now getting acquainted (my first electric) but she's beautifully balanced, light and has great tone....bought one of the new small Dean Markley DM30 amps for my practice room.

Happy holidays all....(might appreciate that belly cut even more after all the turkey in the next few days!)   

Rick

LS-30
Butterscotch Bakersfield HB Rosewood
OO 05 Custom
P-03 All Koa
P-03 Sitka/Rosewood
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2011, 04:17:42 AM »

The one on GA looks sweet! And it has STRAP BUTTONS 

Looking forward to a tone report - especially on that neck mini-humbucker.

Sure do hope Matthew gets those parts for the lefties soon!

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Matthew Larrivee
Admin

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2011, 04:50:27 AM »

The bridges shipped today from Callaham, and i've asked Duncan to confirm the delivery date with Bournes. The last I heard was the 1st week of december.
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2011, 08:42:54 AM »

The bridges shipped today from Callaham, and i've asked Duncan to confirm the delivery date with Bournes. The last I heard was the 1st week of december.

bowdown bigrin

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
WPete

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2012, 07:32:35 AM »

Bakersfield review w/pics and sound clips - both look and sound great - positive review too via link from Larrivee's twitter and FB  - repeated here for non-FB/twitter users:
http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2012/Jan/Larriv_e_Guitars_Bakersfield_Electric_Guitar_Review.aspx

L-03,  Forum-IV 003-Hog, RS-4 Hogtop HB's, Logan Custom Tele Rescue - (Aka used) (neck P-90)
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2012, 02:54:09 PM »

Great review.I think they nailed my personal opinion right on the head in one feld BANG.I will get one someday.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
pabloX

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2012, 03:39:58 PM »

D@MN, Seafoam green with rosewood  crying ...I also bought a new amp after getting my Mary Kay White in October, how am I gonna stay out of divorce court?  (or living in the garage with the cat).

Fie upon you, pesky Larrivee family!  It would be easier if you didn't build some of the best instruments in the world, you know. 

Larrivee L-03R -- Harmony Parlor -- Larrivee Bakersfield -- NACE M2-7R
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2012, 01:31:26 AM »

I have to agree - that seafoam green with rosewood (very DARK rosewood!) looks classy! Didn't think I'd really care for that color, but it's beautimous!!! 1964 all over again!

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: