Bakersfield Opinions

Started by Xcurrent, October 21, 2011, 12:26:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

For those who have had their Bakersfield for a few weeks now, would you care to offer your opinions on the guitar or expand upon earlier impressions? I have one on order for 4 weeks now and I'm getting impatient and unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot of new articles on the web.  Hopefully, I'll have mine in a couple of weeks or so and I'll post pics etc, .  rob

Yes...please do!!! .....Matthew tells me my Butterscotch is now 2+ weeks out   :nana_guitar
LS-30
Butterscotch Bakersfield HB Rosewood
OO 05 Custom
P-03 All Koa
P-03 Sitka/Rosewood

X asuming you are familiar with the vintage Tele twang that even somewhat aludes the original makers today. Larrivee's attempt with extreme attention to detail, superior wood, parts and design with cutouts. You will not in no way be disappointed - anyone who is without sounding like a fanboy would have to be 100% headstock related.

Larrivee make extremely high end electric guitars friends - tho the name on the Headstock looks and sounds like a Company who everyone thinks only make high end acoustic guitars.

I am very much enjoying mine tho was never a Tele - Head I am playing it much more than I did my Fender - no knock on Fender the Bakersfield just simply feels better to play.
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Joyce, Thanks. I'm familiar with telecasters having purchased my first one in 71' and to be honest I think twang is more player and single coil pickups. I'm sure I will not be disappointed, I was just trying to get some feedback and discussion going while I'm waiting. Thanks again rob.

Well you've probably seen this but.................. :smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-X5E4TCjbA
Steve ....aka the SMan

I'm pretty much digging mine- had it for close to a month and am learning more about the sound every day.  

The Duncan custom shop bridge pickup is amazing.  I can't talk about it without trotting out the cliche's like "tonal palette" and "get you anywhere short of metal".  This thing just goes fully Led Zeppelin "Heartbreaker" to Merle Haggard to a close rendition of SRV's "Pride and Joy".  I've never heard anything quite like it, and it responds to the right hand perfectly - not too sensitive and gives your playing a little extra emotion when you want it.

For overall goodness, the middle position can be as sweet or nasty as you want it.  It is a great rhythm sound and you can soften it up or grind it down with a little tone/volume adjustment.  Killer funk position.  :ph34r:

I'm a little ambivalent on the neck humbucker.   :?   Sometimes the thing seems kinda week and toneless and I'll mess around with the controls and it comes out really sweet and jazzy.  The neck position doesn't like the tone turned down below about half (to my ears).

The build-out is great on mine.  I'm jealous of some of the necks I've seen online but the relatively plain quartersawn neck goes well with the white body and is in keeping with the whole 50's vibe of this guitar.  

Overall I've never heard a more versatile instrument.  If your right hand can drive the thing, this guitar is willing to take you.

:donut :donut :donut :donut :donut2 :donut :coffee :donut :donut

UPDATE:  I've been tweaking my controls more and have discovered that the neck HB just needed more volume to please me!  I rolled off the amp volume and gave myself some room on the guitar pot to make a difference.  The Bakersfield really responds if you keep both the tone and volume in mind.  Don't know what I was thinking because that is what has been giving the bridge its different voicings...like I said, I'm just getting used to this instrument. 

It's a completely different critter than the R******* w/P90s.  It had a bass roll-off and the standard tone roll-off and I didn't hear near the tonal versatility in that guit.  I sold it to a tele-head and he's over the moon about his new baby.  This one is not better or worse, just way different and it fits my current ideas of the way an electric should sound.
Larrivee L-03R -- Harmony Parlor -- Larrivee Bakersfield -- NACE M2-7R

Quote from: SMan on October 23, 2011, 08:14:45 PM
Well you've probably seen this but.................. :smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-X5E4TCjbA

Yep... I look at that NAMM Summer video weekly... Only thing that makes the waiting bearable!   :nanadance

Rick
LS-30
OO 05 Custom
P-03 All Koa
P-03 Sitka/Rosewood

Where are the lefty Bakersfields? i ordered one on 9-10-11 :ohmy: :drool: please help me!

Quote from: bakersfieldjazz on November 01, 2011, 08:40:17 PM
Where are the lefty Bakersfields? i ordered one on 9-10-11 

Last I heard from MikeyMac I believe -  they are being held up while Larrivee waits for Seymour Duncan to produce left-handed internal  parts
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

pabloX, Thanks for taking the time to provide a review.  I have had mine on order (rosewood fingerboard) since  9/20 and it is expected to arrive in another week or so. I ordered mine with the standard rhythm pickup but I have an Acme Toneshaper and a set of Lollar Mini-Hums so I will be keeping pickguard for the standard pickup and making a replacement with a Lollar mini-hum.  The toneshaper I have has 5 way switching capability and  uses a 500k volume pot for the mini-hum but uses resistors to lower the  load to 250k in the other positions  i.e. in position 5 the humbucker sees 500k. In position 1-4 it sees 250K.  The Lollars I own have four conductor wire so I can split the coils in the mini-hum.  I'll see how the Duncan Liberator work in one of my Stratocasters. rob

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on November 01, 2011, 08:56:04 PM
Last I heard from MikeyMac I believe -  they are being held up while Larrivee waits for Seymour Duncan to produce left-handed internal  parts

Yes, Matthew is waiting on parts from SD, so who knows how long that will take. Maybe Matthew will give us an update when he knows something.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on November 01, 2011, 08:56:04 PM
Last I heard from MikeyMac I believe -  they are being held up while Larrivee waits for Seymour Duncan to produce left-handed internal  parts

Which parts might they be ? The bridge pickup doesn't seem to have staggered pole pieces in this right handed one on Ebay ....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LARRIVEE-BAKERSFIELD-ELECTRIC-T-STYLE-GUITAR-BUTTERSCOTCH-2011-NEW-W-WARRANTY-/260885081340?pt=Guitar&hash=item3cbdf66cfc

EDIT:  maybe the pots, a Duncan Liberator  volume pot and an "ultra smooth" tone pot ? ( in lefty of course )

Quote from: SouthpawGuy on November 03, 2011, 07:12:24 PM
Which parts might they be ? The bridge pickup doesn't seem to have staggered pole pieces in this right handed one on Ebay ....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LARRIVEE-BAKERSFIELD-ELECTRIC-T-STYLE-GUITAR-BUTTERSCOTCH-2011-NEW-W-WARRANTY-/260885081340?pt=Guitar&hash=item3cbdf66cfc

EDIT:  maybe the pots, a Duncan Liberator  volume pot and an "ultra smooth" tone pot ? ( in lefty of course )

Yes, Matthew's waiting for a lefty version of the Duncan Liberator system (or whatever it is...I don't fully understand...).

Tick - tock - tick - tock.   :whistling:

Part of the problem we face is that we insist on true lefty parts, and that can take effort. The pots we buy from Duncan are made by a company called Bournes, and bournes makes ALOT of different parts. Guitar pots probably account for only .1% of thier business and then lefty pots probably account for .0001% of thier business. Originally bournes provided a delivery date of November 2nd for Duncans lefty order, but they infomed Duncan yesterday they have moved the delivery date until the first week of december.

The good news is that rosewood fretboard bakersfields are very close to being able to ship.

The good news is that rosewood fretboard bakersfields are very close to being able to ship.

Yahoo. This guy likes to hear that update.  Thank you Matthew!!!
LS-30
OO 05 Custom
P-03 All Koa
P-03 Sitka/Rosewood

I just received my Bakersfield yesterday from Southern Guitars in GA.  I am in IL but I received the guitar 48 hours after ordering and got a great deal also.  If you are having trouble getting one call Brian he has them or can get them quick.

Quote from: Matthew Larrivee on November 04, 2011, 12:05:26 AM
Part of the problem we face is that we insist on true lefty parts, and that can take effort. The pots we buy from Duncan are made by a company called Bournes, and bournes makes ALOT of different parts. Guitar pots probably account for only .1% of thier business and then lefty pots probably account for .0001% of thier business. Originally bournes provided a delivery date of November 2nd for Duncans lefty order, but they infomed Duncan yesterday they have moved the delivery date until the first week of december.

Thanks, Matthew, we lefties appreciate the extra mile you go for the little lefty details!

Quote from: parkboy on November 04, 2011, 08:32:11 AM
I just received my Bakersfield yesterday from Southern Guitars in GA.  I am in IL but I received the guitar 48 hours after ordering and got a great deal also.  If you are having trouble getting one call Brian he has them or can get them quick.

WHAT?! You got a new Bakersfield, and we don't get a review?! No pics, either?!?!? What is this???!!!  :bgrin:

Quote from: Matthew Larrivee on November 04, 2011, 12:05:26 AM
Originally bournes provided a delivery date of November 2nd for Duncans lefty order, but they infomed Duncan yesterday they have moved the delivery date until the first week of december.

Well Rev, you may have it just in time for Jingle Bell Rock.......... :rolleye:
Rob

Larrivee D-05
Larrivee RS-4 Custom (Arctic White)

Quote from: robwms on November 04, 2011, 10:45:24 PM
Well Rev, you may have it just in time for Jingle Bell Rock.......... :rolleye:

Which would be close to the 2nd anniversary of when I got my RS-4 ... I believe I took possession of that wonderful ax on December 22, 2009!