Forum V - The RS-4

Started by JOYCEfromNS, October 11, 2011, 06:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: CZERO9RW on September 11, 2012, 02:06:11 PM
Ummmm... You might wanna check the Larrivee FB page... Jus' sayin'!  :wave

:+1:

That thing is AMAZING - well worth the wait!!!

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!   :bowdown:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Man, that one is gorgeous!  That gold hardware and bigsby actually look pretty freaking nice.
Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18

Mike, that is one nice Forum guitar coming your way!  :nice guitar:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Wow is right!  I am speechless.  Matthew that is one beautiful guitar.   :drool:
Congratulations to you, your family and staff for a truly amazing guitar.  Joyce, thank you and LA Guitars for helping make the Forum V's come to fruition.

Mike
Seek perfection of character!
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!
Refrain from violent deeds!

Who's got the Bigsby FV?!  I gots me sum questions! :D

Phil

Quote from: PM33AUD on October 09, 2012, 01:39:58 PM

Phil

I believe that would be Cybercanyon, AKA, Mike.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: PM33AUD on October 09, 2012, 01:39:58 PM

Phil

What questions do you have?

Mike
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!

Quote from: Cybercanyon on October 09, 2012, 03:13:06 PM
What questions do you have?

Mike

Hi Mike!

I was on the fence with a Bigsby on my FV and ended up going stop tail but am really wanting to get myself a decent 6 string trem guitar as I already have a stop tail RS4 (which is why I have the FV up FS).

My questions about the Bigsby are pretty simple:

1)  how is tuning stability for maybe up to 1 octave range down?  How far 'up' does it go?   2)  How is the placement of the arm?  3)  do the strings pop off the saddles when playing aggressively?

I am used to ibanezes and strats as far as trems go.  Maybe you can comment if this would be a good trem to install?  I was looking at the stetsbar pro II and a new 'bolt on' floyd rose trem for LPs called the FRX, which has me very excited but not out yet (and may not even be released).  The stetsbar is very nice and stable trem from what I've seen and would allow me to drop the guitar to D without problem, which I routinely go back and forth with.  The stetsbar, however, does look a little goofy.  I guess I dont care at the end of the day if I do plan on using the guitar more often and keep it.

Thanks much,
Phil

Where to begin?  First off I am very happy with both my RS4 / Bigsby setups.  I use them primarily for subtle shimmering vibrato effects for which they perform flawlessly and an occasional aggressive play.  I have no tuning issues with how I play and having the roller bridge is a must.  Both RS4s are setup with a B3 Bigsby paired with a Schaller roller bridge.

1.)  It has a limited range compared to the strat type trems I have on my other guitars.  My friend has a Stetsbar he fitted on an LP and he likes it.  We compared it to the Bigsby and it definitely has more range both up and down and can be played more aggressively than the B3.  Pulling up to far on the B3 can result in the spring popping out.  He didn't have any tuning issues with his Stetsbar.  

2.)  I like the B3 arm placement, no problems.  When I was comparing Bigsby's, I did find the arm placement awkward if you modified it or used a Bigsby other than the B3 for a guitar like the RS4.

3.)  I experienced no problems with the strings popping off with aggressive playing.  The Schaller roller bridge works great.  The OEM Tonepros on the RS4 won't work well.

Yes, I also think the Stetsbar looks goofy.  The Bigsby B3 on my RS4 F-V definitely looks more classy and aesthetically pleasing.  Ultimately it finally comes down to your playing style as to the best choice for your RS4.  The best advice I can give is to try before you buy, although that is easier said than done for some of us.

I hope this helps.

Mike
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!

No.6  Changed hands, Lucky me !
Taylor GS Mini
Larrivee 003v-MH Vintage Sunburst
Larrivee C-10
Larrivee omv-10 Cedar Zircote
Larrivee RS-4 Lacewood
Larrivee RS-4 Forum V (No.6)

Quote from: psr-740 on October 21, 2012, 06:30:14 PM
No.6  Changed hands, Lucky me !

I'd say. You now have a couple fairly unique RS-4's there friend.  :thumb
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on October 21, 2012, 06:57:16 PM
I'd say. You now have a couple fairly unique RS-4's there friend.  :thumb
:cheers
Taylor GS Mini
Larrivee 003v-MH Vintage Sunburst
Larrivee C-10
Larrivee omv-10 Cedar Zircote
Larrivee RS-4 Lacewood
Larrivee RS-4 Forum V (No.6)

Can more people post up some pictures of their V's? I haven't had GAS since I bought my L-03, but then I discovered the forum V! Did anyone opt for the wrap around tail piece? Thought that would be interesting to see.
Signatures are for losers.

Congrats psr-740!  I was just thinking about posting something about these.  I was playing mine today and realizing how much I am enjoying this guitar.  I have really been playing this thing as much as I can get my hands on it, and it just keeps getting better.

Enjoy yours, Im curious to know what you think of it.
Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18

Quote from: Long813 on October 21, 2012, 09:39:59 PM
Can more people post up some pictures of their V's? I haven't had GAS since I bought my L-03, but then I discovered the forum V! Did anyone opt for the wrap around tail piece? Thought that would be interesting to see.

Yes, and also I'm still trying to find out if I am the only one who got P90s on theirs.  So again I ask, did anyone else get one with P90's installed?

Kurt
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on October 21, 2012, 10:18:23 PM
Yes, and also I'm still trying to find out if I am the only one who got P90s on theirs.  So again I ask, did anyone else get one with P90's installed?

Kurt

You might be Kurt, I don't recall any others.  I hope they are treating you well.
Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18