Forum V - The RS-4

Started by JOYCEfromNS, October 11, 2011, 06:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friends I am pleased to announce a Dealer has been secured:

LA Guitar Sales has agreed to take this adventure to the next level.

Some members are very aware of Ted at LA Guitars and his vast experience in doing custom orders.

As a result of THIS TOPIC  we have reached this point.

In order for this adventure to become reality we need 10 commited members at this point we have 6 with a few on the fence.

Please be patient in regards to downpayment required and timelines they will come to light as the dealer gets up to speed and connects with Larrivee.

I or  LAGuitars will post the detail options of the spec as I know them before Friday most of the things we have been discussing will be addressed. Some options have flexibility others are one or the other, still others I need clarity on.

Hope this meets your approval to date. Friends this is an exciting time for us all and quite an opportunity of which I feel privledged to partake. Anyone considering a Larrivee electric - there could not be a better opportunity.
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Regulars on the Acoustic Guitar Forum know that Ted has been very effective at working with Larrivee, Rainsong, and Martin to produce "custom" offerings at very reasonable prices. He's a really good guy to work with, and his signing on will only help Forum V become a terrific guitar at the best possible price....

Thanks Joyce, I will be patiently looking forward to the to Forum V.   :nanadance

Mike
Seek perfection of character!
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!
Refrain from violent deeds!

i'm def. interested.  i'll know for sure once all the options are on the table.

For me, I am new and poor.  Every guitar I have is 'a keeper' so for me to commit and rob a bank I'd need to know what kinda guitar the Forum RS4 would be - at least 'roughly'.  Either way, there is no doubt in my mind I'd want another RS-4... the frets will wear out half as fast :D.  Either way, I will start filling up the piggy bank.

CONGRATULATIONS everyone. It's about time and I'm happy to see this actually materialize. I was being lured in to my first electric Larrivee, but environmental pressures exceeding my ability to maintain a standard of living that would allow another guitar purchase restrain me from the process.

I hope this moves forward now with all good fortune and all involved receive what they hoped for. :donut2 :donut

Edit; Andrew you have what it takes to see this through. :+1:

I'm in for a lefty!  Thanks for getting this organized and I'm very excited about this being my first Larrivee electric!!
:donut :donut2 :coffee :donut2 :donut
All Lefty:
Acoustic:
Larrivee OMV-10
Larrivee D-05E
Martin CEO-7
Taylor 416

Electric:
Larrivee RS-4, Forum V #2
Fender American Standard Tele
Fender Aerodyne Strat
PureSalem Elevation
Epiphone Joe Pass, modified with Gibson '57 classics

So, what will they be like.....

I'm working on my finances as well so that I can be in on this if at all possible - those soon to be wound Larrivee mini-humbuckers are wooing me in!  :arrow

P.S. Mine will be a lefty, too (obviously).
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

If I'm going to do this, the guitar has to be one of those 'wow' custom instruments.  5A figure (quilt or flame) as good or better than the top on my RS4 (which is going to b hard to beat!) - a quilt top would set it apart.  There's probably going to be around 10 of these I think so there's your 10 10-tops right there!  A superb, lightly bursted trans finish, and some special inlays (I like the headstock ones I've seen) but not the point it's gaudy.  I'd love to see the hardware in 24k gold plate as well.  Gold goes together with certain finishes so well and if matched right adds even more class to the instrument.  Pickups I'd be happy with just the same as in the RS4.  I can't even speculate what could be done to make them better - they are that great.  The only thing I think that would make the RS4 even better to play (although maybe it's negligible?) is to use satin finish just on the back of the neck.

Maybe I'm missing the point but going the less expensive 'more basic' route turns the RS4 into a carved RS2 IMO in which case I'd just grab an RS2.  It's gotta be a WOW'er and it's gotta be special.  As far as cost, well, if it's a little more than the RS4, then so be it.  BTW, would there be a 1st prototype built or does everybody sort of have to 'deposit in the dark' so to speak?

Just my thoughts.

This really has me interested.  I have been in the market for a new electric for a while now and have also been interested in getting in on the Forum guitar action.  I have two problems that are plaguing me, however:  1) I have never heard or played an RS-4 (or any Larrivee electric) and 2) I really have to maintain a budget.  

I have heretofore been interested in a used Les Paul or Paul Reed Smith Custom 22/24 as that is the sound I am after.  

That said, I could really be convinced to go in on this if I can have these fears allayed.  
Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18

Quote from: bacchus on October 13, 2011, 11:00:21 AM
This really has me interested.  I have been in the market for a new electric for a while now and have also been interested in getting in on the Forum guitar action.  I have two problems that are plaguing me, however:  1) I have never heard or played an RS-4 (or any Larrivee electric) and 2) I really have to maintain a budget.  

I have heretofore been interested in a used Les Paul or Paul Reed Smith Custom 22/24 as that is the sound I am after.  

That said, I could really be convinced to go in on this if I can have these fears allayed.  

I bought my RS4 w/o having played one at all.  I have one now though, and played tons of Gibsons and other guitars.  I'll say it again: this is the best 6 string I own and there is no doubt at all I made a wrong decision.  I almost purchased a Gibson LP but the deal fell through and lucky for me, a little more searching came up with the RS4.  Just be aware the scale is longer on the RS4 (which I always played 25.5 guitars anyways) but if you're used to shorter scales, it could be a little different.  Only thing I can say about the $$$ is either pick up one used (there's a cherry burst on the FS section for a steal!) or keep on savin'!

I would have to see the price, but I am willing to go in on this assuming I can afford it.

edit:  For what it is worth, here are some preferences:

1) I like the idea of Matthew using some choice stock wood as he mentioned in the "Ideas for Forum 5 RS-4" thread.  If this drastically increases the price then I am ok with simpler options, but I definitely prefer a light burst or light finish as opposed to solid color.

2) Pickup options would be nice, though, again, I like the idea of special pickups from Matt.

3) I like the idea of something like a 'V' on the 5th fret, something unique.

None of these are deal breakers (with the exception of a really high price), and I am open, but I figured I would put my voice in the mix.

This is exciting.
Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18

So, is it in bad form to ask about the price ballpark at this point?

You'll see in my sig, that my L-03 is the most expensive instrument I own up to this point in time, but I'm itching to add to the electric stable.

I skimmed the thread that Joyce linked in the first post and I saw no mention of price.  Safe to assume same as RS-4, or more or less.  RS-4 price not on Larrivée site as far as I can tell.  What is on the Larrivée site for the RS-4 is a spelling error for mortise and tenon.

Larrivée has 'mortis and tennon', while phonetically correct, should really read 'mortise and tenon'.  I don't believe there are any generally accepted spelling alternatives for this.  I'm going to send them a note on this.  Same mistake on RS-2 page.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: PM33AUD on October 13, 2011, 10:16:54 AM
The only thing I think that would make the RS4 even better to play (although maybe it's negligible?) is to use satin finish just on the back of the neck.

I agree with having a satin finish on the back of the neck. I picked up an RS-4 at The 12th Fret recently and noticed the slightly "stickier" feel of the gloss neck compared to my L-09.
Peter
Larrivee L-09
Larrivee RS-2 2010
Larrivee RS-4 1983 "Explorer"

Quote from: madoclake on October 13, 2011, 01:54:41 PM
I agree with having a satin finish on the back of the neck. I picked up an RS-4 at The 12th Fret recently and noticed the slightly "stickier" feel of the gloss neck compared to my L-09.

If the guitar is gloss, I'd also be happy to see a satin finish on back of the neck.

I would "guesstimate" that the price is going to be in the neighborhood of the RS-4. MSRP is over $3K; MAP is around $2,300-2,400; I suspect that if we add a few special options to this guitar, we might still be able to keep it at around $2,300-2,500 street price...gold hardware and other options will make the price go higher.

This is a GUESS, I'm NOT a dealer, and I'm not offering up an official price; I'm just trying to give a reasonable ballpark for a couple people who are wondering, realistically, what's this guitar gonna cost?

Check out this link for a couple of other cool possible options:

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=38113.0

:drool:

RS-4  - Forum V
JCL Special Reserve Grade Flame Maple Top

Lightweight S.A. mahogany back / neck

Indian Rosewood Fretboard

African Ebony Headplate or Matching Headstock overlay available BUT somewhat high upcharge of $250 as fairly labor intensive to get right - again all or no one in for this. No upcharge for the African Ebony

Vine Headstock Inlay (or JCL) but all must be the same)

3/16 Dots on the fretboard instead of normal inlay

Mini Humbucker Neck Pickup (signed/numbered)

P-90 Bridge pickup (signed)

Color Forum V - a mix of Amber & Root Beer very "vintage" according to ML - some might call "Ice tea" burst I prefer to refer to it as Forum V color. No plan for Larrivee to add this color to their stock colors. A sample to post is being sought.

Finish Choice Poly or Varnish Body with Satin Neck - all must be same. Or full poly like stock

Named/Numbered on back of headstock via traditional water slide decal

All other Specs such as nut size wiring, pots etc standard stock.

Other Available Options:

Choice of Bridge (Bridge/Stop-tail, Wrap Around,CALLAHAM or BIGSBY B3) the last two options would have cost upcharge, the 1st two would not. Not clear yet if this is a choice for us or an all in option. Will seek clarity on this.

Right hand or left hand of course

Well Friends here is a strong starting point with a fair amount of consensus yet to gain. I have preferences but no option in or out is a deal breaker for me.  As far as pricing, deposit amounts turnaround times etc I will await Ted at LA Guitars to communicate with Larrivee and disclose to us either directly or thru me. Suggest we banter this back and forth for the next few days or so before we nail it down. I'm sure there will be some confusion in here somewhere that will require clarification.

I apologize for the delay, it's just happens to be the busy time of year for me at my workplace requiring midyear assessments and reports so have been distracted with that this week.

This ought to keep our juices flowin for a few days  :smile:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: Mikeymac on October 13, 2011, 06:54:18 PM
Check out this link for a couple of other cool possible options:

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=38113.0

:drool:

I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Andrew! Here's what I like from your options list:

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on October 13, 2011, 07:24:49 PM
RS-4  - Forum V

JCL Special Reserve Grade Flame Maple Top

Lightweight S.A. mahogany back / neck

Indian Rosewood Fretboard

African Ebony Headplate or Matching Headstock overlay. (No upcharge for the African Ebony.)

Vine Headstock Inlay (or JCL) Either works for me!

Mini Humbucker Neck Pickup (signed/numbered) (Make mine both mini's, if possible; we were told the pickups could be different on each guitar - is that still true?) 

Color Forum V - a mix of Amber & Root Beer very "vintage" according to ML - some might call "Ice tea" burst I prefer to refer to it as Forum V color.

Varnish Body with Satin Neck - THIS SOUNDS AWESOME!!!

Named/Numbered on back of headstock via traditional water slide decal

All other Specs such as nut size wiring, pots etc standard stock.

Other Available Options:

Bridge: I'll take the Bigsby - this really ups the desireability for me!!!

Right hand or left hand of course

This ought to keep our juices flowin for a few days  :smile:

The Bigsby and mini-humbuckers are enough to make it unique and different enough from my "standard" RS-4 that I want to be in on this. 

I hope others who are interested find these options workable!

EDIT: I just checked, and Bigsby doesn't make a lefty B3 ... I hope one of the other models will also fit: the B5, B6, and B7 are all offered left-handed.