Pages: 1 ... 12 [13] 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum V - The RS-4  (Read 43284 times)
jojo123

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: August 24, 2012, 03:59:15 AM »

Thanks for sharing!

You have quite a collection.  Very nice!  I love the all mahogany RS-4, looks very cool and very unique.  I also love the flame on your F-V.

I don't have much to compare it too, granted, but I am really liking the neck mini.  One thing it is doing for me is encouraging me to play some cleaner stuff because it just sounds so nice that way.  It is very smooth but with great articulation.  It's also got a nice balance from the warmth of the neck position and the slightly brighter nature of the pickup itself.  I am also really liking the pup driven with just enough gain to get a nice, chunky grind.

I don't even need to mention the full Gen3 bridge pup, that thing is exactly what I wanted, particularly for the real rock stuff, top notch.  I couldn't be happier here.  I am curious to hear the mini's in the bridge position though.

I haven't messed much with the in between settings, but really want to dive in there too.  So much to do...

Thanks, the mahogany RS4 turned out really well.  There are some amazing finish details on that guitar, and the mahogany is amazing too, in my opinion.  Of course, none of this can really be seen in the photo.  I'll try to get a pic of it outdoors on cloudy day or something.

I'm looking forward to playing the FV and the minis.  Honestly, I haven't even put my usual strings on it or fine-tuned the set up to my preferences yet.  It is good to have different options as well, I don't want all my guitars to sound the same.  Hope you enjoy yours!   

P-03 OM-09  RS-4
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: August 24, 2012, 02:26:43 PM »

Jojo,

Is there any binding on the neck of your mahogany RS-4?

Love that guitar, BTW - heck - love BOTH of them!

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
PM33AUD

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: August 24, 2012, 06:24:33 PM »

Mine came in a few hours ago!  Think it's #6.

The mini is more crisp than the full neck HB on my other one which is a plus as I think the FS neck is a little too bassy compared to the bridge.  The bridge pickup sounds a hair different as well, even after I pulled off the cover - some of it's probably the strings, some of it due to the potting (which, coincidentally removes a little bit of the janglyness I've discovered - for me, probably a good thing considering I have enough jangle in the amp).  The neck mini is much hotter than I expected and do not think it's potted bc it sorta 'feedback chimes' with higher gain/volume but nothing like the regular humbuckers did.  Will have to keep that one's volume pulled a hair till I get it sorted out.  Sounds great, satin on the neck is def a winner.  HS inlay is very nice too!  Had to do a quick setup on it... action was pretty high for an electric, nut slots a little high, too much relief, etc... I'm sure the fact that it's been shipped several thousand miles played a big role in that - no biggie.  Both RS4s are very close in weight... or at least I can't tell without a scale.  I don't know which one I like better yet.  My rootbeer RS4 has an absolutely stunning figure and the pups are working well for me.  The satin neck and the mini are what will ultimately make that decision for me I think.

Need to get these pups potted ASAP!

Thanks for those who pulled this one together.  My failed Forum attempt has most definitely shown me how much of a PIA it is to organize so again, thanks!

Phil
bacchus

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: August 25, 2012, 05:17:26 AM »

Mine came in a few hours ago!  Think it's #6.

The mini is more crisp than the full neck HB on my other one which is a plus as I think the FS neck is a little too bassy compared to the bridge.  The bridge pickup sounds a hair different as well, even after I pulled off the cover - some of it's probably the strings, some of it due to the potting (which, coincidentally removes a little bit of the janglyness I've discovered - for me, probably a good thing considering I have enough jangle in the amp).  The neck mini is much hotter than I expected and do not think it's potted bc it sorta 'feedback chimes' with higher gain/volume but nothing like the regular humbuckers did.  Will have to keep that one's volume pulled a hair till I get it sorted out.  Sounds great, satin on the neck is def a winner.  HS inlay is very nice too!  Had to do a quick setup on it... action was pretty high for an electric, nut slots a little high, too much relief, etc... I'm sure the fact that it's been shipped several thousand miles played a big role in that - no biggie.  Both RS4s are very close in weight... or at least I can't tell without a scale.  I don't know which one I like better yet.  My rootbeer RS4 has an absolutely stunning figure and the pups are working well for me.  The satin neck and the mini are what will ultimately make that decision for me I think.

Need to get these pups potted ASAP!

Thanks for those who pulled this one together.  My failed Forum attempt has most definitely shown me how much of a PIA it is to organize so again, thanks!

Phil

Glad to see that you got yours.  All this talk makes me very curious to hear the full sized neck HB.  The full bridge just rocks my world in so many ways.  On the other hand, I have been playing with the neck mini way more than I expected.  Certainly way more than I ever played neck HB's before.

My F-V could probably also use a little adjustment for relief and action in general, but I am going to try to wait it out for a little bit and let everything get adjusted to my ridiculous climate.

Keep us posted on your evolving impression on this.

BTW - obligitory  gotpics? ...

Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: August 25, 2012, 05:42:39 AM »

Mine came in a few hours ago!  Think it's #6..........

You THINK it's number 6? 

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

jojo123

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: August 25, 2012, 06:52:02 AM »

Jojo,

Is there any binding on the neck of your mahogany RS-4?

Love that guitar, BTW - heck - love BOTH of them!

Greetings and thanks!  Yes, the all mahogany RS-4 has black binding on the neck and the binding around the top of body has neat little white pinstriping.  Top slab of mahogany is quite impressive in my opinion, and deserving of better pics.  I will try to get some posted in the picture forum...

P-03 OM-09  RS-4
PM33AUD

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: August 25, 2012, 01:00:10 PM »

You THINK it's number 6? 

When I wrote I wasn't near the guitar and wasn't 100% sure.  I checked this morning.  It definitely is number 6.

Phil
PM33AUD

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: August 25, 2012, 04:54:31 PM »

Shot a quick vid with my phone goin through the pickups clean n distorted on the FV... I say what position the selector is in but it's pretty faint since the amp is so loud and the phone's mic limiter has a pretty slow release/attack.  The rig here uses a TimeLine delay, WET reverb, and a VFE phaser in the FX loop and a custom built MOSFET booster running into an OCD which is set as another stage of boost.  I pop on a HOG at some point as well.  These go right into the front of an AC30CCH running through a 412 with V30s... for those that are curious :)

Video: RS4 FV, etc stuff

The bridge HB is a nasty freak but not so great for clean (the honk of a bridge HB doesn't sound pretty to me).  The mini in the neck, on the other hand, has much more scooped mids than the full HB, more 'crystal' high end.. sounds real sweet clean... like a super hot single coil with more mids. I am liking the neck mini the more I play around.  Seems more balanced with the bridge pickup.

Phil
jojo123

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: August 25, 2012, 10:20:29 PM »

Shot a quick vid with my phone goin through the pickups clean n distorted on the FV... I say what position the selector is in but it's pretty faint since the amp is so loud and the phone's mic limiter has a pretty slow release/attack.  The rig here uses a TimeLine delay, WET reverb, and a VFE phaser in the FX loop and a custom built MOSFET booster running into an OCD which is set as another stage of boost.  I pop on a HOG at some point as well.  These go right into the front of an AC30CCH running through a 412 with V30s... for those that are curious :)

The bridge HB is a nasty freak but not so great for clean (the honk of a bridge HB doesn't sound pretty to me).  The mini in the neck, on the other hand, has much more scooped mids than the full HB, more 'crystal' high end.. sounds real sweet clean... like a super hot single coil with more mids. I am liking the neck mini the more I play around.  Seems more balanced with the bridge pickup.

Phil

Thanks for the demo!  Very interesting.  You have a nice set up there!  Needless to say, your phone mic doesn't do it justice.     I'm getting used to the mini in the neck as well.  Still seems a bit "hot", but I will play it for a while before tweaking anything.  I lowered the action too.  Interestingly, I did notice that there wasn't any conductive shielding paint in the pickup cavity or in the control cavity.  I usually see that on the high end electrics although the FV isn't very "noisy" so probably doesn't need it.   Thanks again for the analysis, I'm interesting in seeing what you end up doing with the mini, any mods, etc.   

P-03 OM-09  RS-4
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: August 26, 2012, 01:31:52 AM »

Phil

Nice demo.  The first few notes sound piano-like to me.  Would like to hear some more demos from others, especially playing more straight thru without too many effects.  Maybe I'll attempt one myself!

Kurt

bacchus

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: August 26, 2012, 04:25:42 PM »

Very nice demo Phil, that sounded really great!

Nice demo.  The first few notes sound piano-like to me.  Would like to hear some more demos from others, especially playing more straight thru without too many effects.  Maybe I'll attempt one myself!
Kurt

I actually sat down a week ago to record some demos on this and found my recording equipment not up to task.  I have, in the meantime, been trying to get some decent stuff together with what I have (an iphone and a little line6 backtrack mini recorder).

Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18
PM33AUD

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: August 26, 2012, 06:52:47 PM »

Yea, I'll get a decent one done one of these days.  I'd like to add a side-by-side with the other RS4 for a decent comparison between the mini and fullsize pickups.

Here's a pic:

I will probably switch out the cream bridge for an all black one; didn't realize when I spec'd bobbin colour that the plastics were going to be black :/

Phil
scdreger

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: August 30, 2012, 02:26:28 AM »

I am so stupid, I have been waiting thinking that I'll find a good day to drive to LA and pick it up in person saving on shipping. It hasn't worked out in like three weeks (work/home/raising chitlins/1hour+ away/etc.). I finally gave in and emailed Helene for a Paypal invoice today. Ughh. I could have had it weeks ago.  blush

2009 Bourgeois Vintage D
2010 Santa Cruz 000-1929 Sunburst
2009 Martin OM-28V
2009 Larrivée RS-4 – Charcoal Burst
2008 Larrivee A-33 Mandolin
2010 Larrivée Forum IV #19
2009 Larrivée Forum III #72, Spruce/mahogany
2001 Larrivée DO3R

Ukes:
Collings UT1
Ko'olau T-1
KoAloha Super Concert
KoAloha Concert
KoAloha Soprano
Kanilea custom
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: August 30, 2012, 08:53:58 AM »

Yea, I'll get a decent one done one of these days.  I'd like to add a side-by-side with the other RS4 for a decent comparison between the mini and fullsize pickups.

Here's a pic:

I will probably switch out the cream bridge for an all black one; didn't realize when I spec'd bobbin colour that the plastics were going to be black :/

Phil
That's a great pic, Phil.

JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #254 on: September 10, 2012, 09:46:16 PM »

I finally gave in and emailed Helene for a Paypal invoice today. Ughh. I could have had it weeks ago.  blush

So did you get it 

Who's still waiting

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Cybercanyon

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: September 11, 2012, 10:35:16 AM »

Who's still waiting

I am still waiting.  I haven't heard any status report.  I feel kind of left out.  crying

Seek perfection of character!
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!
Refrain from violent deeds!
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: September 11, 2012, 12:52:01 PM »

I am still waiting.  I haven't heard any status report.  I feel kind of left out.  crying

Surely they're all finished. Which dealer did you order through? Local? 

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #257 on: September 11, 2012, 01:06:03 PM »

Which dealer did you order through? Local?  
Mike they were all ordered thru LA Guitar Sales

Cybercanyon - I suspected yours would be the last due to the Bigsby. Not too many RS-4's made with a Bigsby   You know what thy say all good things come to those who wait

So looking forward to pics of yours with the Bigsby

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Cybercanyon

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: September 11, 2012, 06:31:32 PM »

Cybercanyon - I suspected yours would be the last due to the Bigsby. Not too many RS-4's made with a Bigsby  You know what thy say all good things come to those who wait

So looking forward to pics of yours with the Bigsby

I will wait patiently as best as I can.   whistling
I can always play my other guitars.  One of them has a Bigsby I can pass the time with.   

Seek perfection of character!
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!
Refrain from violent deeds!
CZERO9RW

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: September 11, 2012, 07:06:11 PM »

I will wait patiently as best as I can.   whistling
I can always play my other guitars.  One of them has a Bigsby I can pass the time with.   

Ummmm... You might wanna check the Larrivee FB page... Jus' sayin'! 
Pages: 1 ... 12 [13] 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: