Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum V - The RS-4  (Read 43368 times)
Matthew Larrivee
Admin

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2011, 02:40:09 AM »

http://www.wdmusic.com/usa_bigsby_tailpiece_left_handed.html
MC13

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2011, 02:40:59 AM »

This all sounds great to me.  I think working a roman numeral "V" into the vine inlay on the headstock would look awesome, but I'm sure cost prohibitive?  Still can't decide on 2 mini's or a mini and a P-90, so could go either way if no choice.  Love all the other specs you lay out, just not sure about the Bigsby yet!  Being a relatively noob I'm happy to go with the flow, as this is shaping up to be a pretty special guitar!

All Lefty:
Acoustic:
Larrivee OMV-10
Larrivee D-05E
Martin CEO-7

Electric:
Larrivee RS-4, Forum V #2
Fender American Standard Tele
Fender Aerodyne Strat
randmag

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2011, 02:46:07 AM »

I am very interested in getting this Forum V but I just have a few questions.

Does anyone here have experience with buying from the States and shipping to Canada?
Will there be additional costs, ie: customs, shipping, sales taxes that could add considerably to the price?

I purchased my RS-4 through a local dealer in Winnipeg and had no surprises cost-wise. I've also ordered my Bakersfield through The 12fth Fret in Toronto and was given a price consistent with US stores. They will also do the set-up at no extra charge and Fedex cost is very reasonable.

I'm probably worrying for nothing but I've never dealt with LA Guitar Sales or any other US dealer directly. Any thoughts are most welcome.

Looking forward to seeing what the consensus is for the Forum V.  

Donuts for all  

RS-4 Forum V Mini's,
RS-4 Goldtop HB's,
Bakersfield burst,
L03,
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2011, 03:05:13 AM »

To the lefties that want the Bigsby I have installed this modal B3 on a couple of LP's and they work real nice.You'd be happy.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
PM33AUD

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2011, 04:08:22 AM »

RS-4  - Forum V
JCL Special Reserve Grade Flame Maple Top

Lightweight S.A. mahogany back / neck

Indian Rosewood Fretboard

African Ebony Headplate or Matching Headstock overlay available BUT somewhat high upcharge of $250 as fairly labor intensive to get right - again all or no one in for this. No upcharge for the African Ebony

Vine Headstock Inlay (or JCL) but all must be the same)

3/16 Dots on the fretboard instead of normal inlay

Mini Humbucker Neck Pickup (signed/numbered)

P-90 Bridge pickup (signed)

Color Forum V - a mix of Amber & Root Beer very "vintage" according to ML - some might call "Ice tea" burst I prefer to refer to it as Forum V color. No plan for Larrivee to add this color to their stock colors. A sample to post is being sought.

Finish Choice Poly or Varnish Body with Satin Neck - all must be same. Or full poly like stock

Named/Numbered on back of headstock via traditional water slide decal

All other Specs such as nut size wiring, pots etc standard stock.

Other Available Options:

Choice of Bridge (Bridge/Stop-tail, Wrap Around,CALLAHAM or BIGSBY B3) the last two options would have cost upcharge, the 1st two would not. Not clear yet if this is a choice for us or an all in option. Will seek clarity on this.

Right hand or left hand of course

Well Friends here is a strong starting point with a fair amount of consensus yet to gain. I have preferences but no option in or out is a deal breaker for me.  As far as pricing, deposit amounts turnaround times etc I will await Ted at LA Guitars to communicate with Larrivee and disclose to us either directly or thru me. Suggest we banter this back and forth for the next few days or so before we nail it down. I'm sure there will be some confusion in here somewhere that will require clarification.

I apologize for the delay, it's just happens to be the busy time of year for me at my workplace requiring midyear assessments and reports so have been distracted with that this week.

This ought to keep our juices flowin for a few days  

Love it all with exception of the inlays... doesn't seem to fit in my eye but not really a deal crusher.  Why not something like this?  If they're CNC'd the program might be not too much trouble:

I think it'd match the vine HS inlay nicely.

Is there option for the regular RS4 pups (or if 2 P-90's could they be swapped out - dunno if they're same size)?

Also, what is varnish finish example for those that may want the satin neck?  Or is the satin neck possible with the poly finish?  Kinda confused on that one.

I am all for the selected finish.  A very subtle burst somewhere between a RB and amber is gonna be LEGIT!  In my head, the headstock plate shouldn't match the body since it will be relatively bright given the colour of the body - inlays looks best against darker colours.

I might be interested in a Bigsby too... I'll have to go try one again - it's been awhile and I've been acclimated to the LoPro trems from Ibanez (which are flippin awesome!)

Oh and gold hardware - is that still an option?

Only remaining question is how much time I have to round up ~2500 beans (or whatever the deposit is)!       This whole V Forum guitar process is awesome BTW.  Sorry for all the questions - not meaning to be pestering - I'm just excited!
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2011, 04:57:08 AM »

Check out this link for a couple of other cool possible options:

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=38113.0
 drool
That's what I've been saying people (in the previous Forum V thread)!  Contrasting wood inlays and matching binding (if possible) would look great, add to it's uniqueness factor and likely not add cost.  That would get my vote for sure.

Don't agree with PM33AUD (sorry) regarding adding more expensive items like gold hardware, etc.  I won't be in if it gets that expensive.  I like the specs Joyce posted (with comments in my next post) and if I'm not mistaken, I think it has already come down to those anyways, correct Andrew?

Kurt

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2011, 05:23:29 AM »

Here are my comments/preferences based on specs posted by Andrew:

RS-4  - Forum V
JCL Special Reserve Grade Flame Maple Top

Lightweight S.A. mahogany back / neck

Indian Rosewood Fretboard

African Ebony Headplate or Matching Headstock overlay available BUT somewhat high upcharge of $250 as fairly labor intensive to get right - again all or no one in for this. No upcharge for the African Ebony - I suggested the matching overlay, but I want the cheapest option so Ebony is fine with me.

Vine Headstock Inlay (or JCL) but all must be the same)  - Vine gets my vote. Distinquishes the brand.

3/16 Dots on the fretboard instead of normal inlay - Fine with me

Mini Humbucker Neck Pickup (signed/numbered) - YES

P-90 Bridge pickup (signed) - YES

Color Forum V - a mix of Amber & Root Beer very "vintage" according to ML - some might call "Ice tea" burst I prefer to refer to it as Forum V color. No plan for Larrivee to add this color to their stock colors. A sample to post is being sought.  YES

Finish Choice Poly or Varnish Body with Satin Neck - all must be same. Or full poly like stock. - No preference for body finish - whatever is cheapest - YES for Satin Neck finish

Named/Numbered on back of headstock via traditional water slide decal - Fine with me

All other Specs such as nut size wiring, pots etc standard stock. - YES plus nickel hardware like standard
Other Available Options:

Choice of Bridge (Bridge/Stop-tail, Wrap Around,CALLAHAM or BIGSBY B3) the last two options would have cost upcharge, the 1st two would not. Not clear yet if this is a choice for us or an all in option. Will seek clarity on this. - If they must all be the same, then my 1st preference is Bridge/Stop-tail. 2nd preference, Wrap-around assuming it's adjustable for intonation (don't know much about these).

Right hand or left hand of course

jrporter

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2011, 11:48:25 AM »

I am very interested in getting this Forum V but I just have a few questions.

Does anyone here have experience with buying from the States and shipping to Canada?
Will there be additional costs, ie: customs, shipping, sales taxes that could add considerably to the price?

I purchased my RS-4 through a local dealer in Winnipeg and had no surprises cost-wise. I've also ordered my Bakersfield through The 12fth Fret in Toronto and was given a price consistent with US stores. They will also do the set-up at no extra charge and Fedex cost is very reasonable.

I'm probably worrying for nothing but I've never dealt with LA Guitar Sales or any other US dealer directly. Any thoughts are most welcome.

Looking forward to seeing what the consensus is for the Forum V.  

Donuts for all  

First of all, as I previously said, Ted at LA Guitar Sales is great to deal with. He has spearheaded special editions through Larrivee, Martin, and Rainsong via AGF. You folks who are throwing out various deal-breakers need to know that what Joyce, Ted, and Larrivee come up with will probably be a really nice, unique guitar at the best possible price but it's going to be a compromise. Everybody can't possibly get their wish list guitar at the lowest price. It's like nailing Jello to the wall or herding cats.... 
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2011, 01:11:33 PM »

For our Canadian Members -  Tax and Customs Issues:

Because Larrivee Guitars are made in USA (or Canada) there are NO custom duties to Canadians. There is however Sales Tax the amount depending on the Province shipped to and whether this Province has HST or GST & Prov Tax.

For instance if the Guitar is being shipped to Manitoba who have the GST & Prov Tax - the Tax on the declared value is 5% ( GST portion only).

In Nova Scotia who have the HST the tax is 15%  mad

Please do not ask a seller to reduce the declared value - the American Authorities do not shine too favourably on this.

Any more detail on this issue please PM me and I can share with you what I know.

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
bacchus

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2011, 01:52:27 PM »

This sounds so awesome!  I love the options that have been thrown out.  In cases where consensus is required, my vote will favor lower price in almost every case, otherwise, I am easy going.

Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18
randmag

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2011, 01:55:58 PM »

jrporter, JOYCEfromNS,

Thank you both for your comments.

I'm absolutely certain the Forum V will be a fine guitar.

Randy 

RS-4 Forum V Mini's,
RS-4 Goldtop HB's,
Bakersfield burst,
L03,
PM33AUD

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2011, 02:08:18 PM »

Gold HW I can do w/o but the option would be something I'd do... if it's not optional, not a big deal... that's something I can do myself if I ever wanted.

Are RS4 std pups still an option?

FB inlays are still kinda irking me though.  Dots don't make sense on the RS4 esp with a fancier-than-stock HS inlay.  At least put the blocks on it!

I'm new to the whole forum guitar thing here so maybe I'm looking at it all the wrong way.  I'm looking at it like it's a limited edition 'custom' or 'deluxe' model and am kinda putting price 2nd, (but estimatedly reasonable) whereas many others are putting it first, which is fine.  It just seems weird to me to use a stellar top (which are RARE) and kinda skimp out in other areas.  Go all out!  Do we need the obligatory "no offense" thing anymore :D   The Forum V top and colour are going to be awesome.
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2011, 04:21:37 PM »

I will try to address the majority of questions to date but will stay away from Prices/Deposits & Delivery for now as see that as the role of the the Dealer LA Guitars

Gold Hardware is an individual choice option cost upgraded to the buyer

Larrivee Generation III Humbuckers are choice item as well as stated previously 3 pickup options here in any combination NO cost difference for any combination

Deluxe Inlay in above posts that gained some life have been previously tried in shop by Larrivee and at first thought to be a good idea kinda looked like shite on the electric. A good in theory but bad in practice idea. Thus accepting ML's judgement on these and suggest not to press further.

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2011, 04:27:17 PM »

I'm new to the whole forum guitar thing here so maybe I'm looking at it all the wrong way. 

No wrong way - all ideas, suggestions etc welcomed especially in the initial stages Later we will have to start focusing on elimination.

PM33AUD

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2011, 04:54:07 PM »

Gold Hardware is an individual choice option cost upgraded to the buyer:  
  AWESOME!

Larrivee Generation III Humbuckers are choice item as well as stated previously 3 pickup options here in any combination NO cost difference for any combination:
  AWESOME!

Deluxe Inlay in above posts that gained some life have been previously tried in shop by Larrivee and at first thought to be a good idea kinda looked like shite on the electric. A good in theory but bad in practice idea. Thus accepting ML's judgement on these and suggest not to press further:
  If ML thinks no vine FB inlays, I'm onboard - better to judge in person than speculate - does this mean the block style is 'meh' too?

Oh and regarding the Bigsby bridges... One issue with the B3 (again, been awhile) is that the break angle is less and folks who play harder (like me) pop strings off the bridge.  The B7 has another bar that creates the greater string angle across bridge and with this:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar_tremolos/Bigsby_Vibrato_Tailpieces/Vibramate_V7-LP_Adapter_for_Bigsby_B7.html

... WOULD REQUIRE (theoretically/speculatory) no modification or 'custom' changes to the top over the standard tuneomatic style bridge and stop stock mounting holes.  This adapter plate bolts right up to the stop tailpiece holes.  The only additional holes on the guitar would be the screws near the strap.  It would also allow those who wanted to change bridges out do so.  A little more cost, but whoever wanted a Bigsby would have to pay more anyway and the manufacturer could possibly save labour/tooing costs.  At least with this there is no different drilling or routing on the top (or having to 'leave' out the tailpiece holes with the B3).  Again, I don't have a B7 or this new adapter plate so I can't try it myself... I do know many LP players use this and pop a B7 on there with no mods to the guitar at all.

The other option is just offer the standard bridge and let the user put the Bigsby on themselves - it may be that the adapter plate need be modified or make their own if the stop tailpiece holes are not the same distance to back of the guitar as a LP... ?  Either way, I'm gettin' excited (still kinda 'meh' on dot inlays though TBH)!

:D
bacchus

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2011, 06:18:06 PM »

I dont intend to derail this conversation, and I believe that this is relevant to the topic at hand, so here goes. 

I am wondering whether it would make sense to combine the new mini-HB with a full-size HB for this guitar.  I don't know much at all about the custom pickups being used, but have heard nothing but accolades for Matt's designs.  I really love the idea of having the mini, but am still looking for a bit of throaty crunch so I figured maybe this configuration would give me the best of both worlds.  Any opinions?

Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2011, 06:34:32 PM »

I just noted that I made an error in my "preferences" post above.  I said a preferred the JCL inlay, but I meant to say I preferred the VINE inlay because it identifies the brand better.  I'm good either way, though.  I just ammended my post.

Kurt

PM33AUD

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2011, 06:38:42 PM »

I just noted that I made an error in my "preferences" post above.  I said a preferred the JCL inlay, but I meant to say I preferred the VINE inlay because it identifies the brand better.  I'm good either way, though.  I just ammended my post.

Kurt

Agreed 100%  The vine rocks!  It's gonna drive all the girls wild!
PM33AUD

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2011, 06:43:01 PM »

I am wondering whether it would make sense to combine the new mini-HB with a full-size HB for this guitar.  I don't know much at all about the custom pickups being used, but have heard nothing but accolades for Matt's designs.  I really love the idea of having the mini, but am still looking for a bit of throaty crunch so I figured maybe this configuration would give me the best of both worlds.  Any opinions?

Me too... I know I love the full size pups so that's what I'm looking at but the only reason for that is I really can't think of any improvements in tone I'd want so why risk getting a pickup that will probably sound different.  Kinda closed-minded on my end but it's not like I can swap the others in due to the size.  Although, the look of two mini HBs will be cool indeed - more of that gorgeous top will be shown.
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2011, 06:46:37 PM »

Agreed 100%  The vine rocks!  It's gonna drive all the girls wild!
Oh to be young again.  I'll be happy if it drives my old fart fellow  band members wild!  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: