Video Recording Suggestions

Started by bscarl88, October 11, 2011, 01:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So i went out and bought a webcam to record some guitar (Logitech C310).  I plan on plugging my guitar directly into my computer via a 1/4 to 1/8 into my mic plug, from my amp since i dont expect a webcam to have good quality audio.  The audio did not come out well, and the video is choppy.  What is everyone's suggestions?  Can you suggest a non choppy decent quality webcam for recording that is under $100?

Its for acoustic work but my acoustics have electric kits in them, (very good ones at that), and I do have a USB microphone.  Should i forego the amp, and plug directly into the computer with my guitar, or go with the microphone, or what?

I am going to record using my Larivee OM09, and Cole Clark FL3AC

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Instead of using a webcam, I decided Record using my Droid Bionic as It can do 1080P at a good frame rate, and record sound via an interface at the same time. Just use the video editor to match the sound onto the video.

I just need a good quality interface in order capture the natural sound of the acoustic guitar. I will most likely be using Cool Edit pro for the sound recording, so are there any suggestions for a cheap interface (around $100) that wont degrade sound quality? I was thinking one of the line 6 basic ones.

(sorry to change subjects)

I've been having a lot of fun wih the iRig mic for iphone/ipad.  For £35 UK money it isn't expensive, and is comparable sonically with the Shure SM58 mic (same frequency range).  The free app that controls it has some neat features too, and it has a headphone socket in the input jack, so there is zero latency monitoring prior to the interface.  It also works with garageband on the ipad i understand (not available on iphone as yet).

I also use the webcam on my laptop, and then sync the two in windows live movie maker, and then mute the sound on the video track and use just the iphone recording.  Had some decent results for the cost of it all, but you need to already have an iphone or ipad first i guess!

I am lucky.  I use my work issue laptop and my work issue iphone  :blush:

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

I have a line 6 and I can vouch for it as being a really decent box for connecting a mic to your computer. The virtual amps and effects may seem like overkill but they do have about 5 options for mic pre-amps for you to try, and the noise gate and reverb will come in handy.

You don't say what mic you have, but the GX doesn't have "phantom power" so you can't use a condensor mic with it. You'll have to use a dynamic type.

Home recording is the kind of thing that snowballs on you and there is no end to the amount of money you can spend on it. If you want to get into it, you'll need to at least go up to Line 6's $200 model, and get a condenser mic for another $100 or so. If you have a Mac then Garageband will start you off well, if not the PC guys here can steer you.

If this is overkill, I'd suggest you simply find a Flip camcorder for under $100, or consider a 5th generation iPod Nano off eBay which records video and audio well enough to show off your playing.

Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist