Ideas for a Forum RS-4

Started by Mikeymac, September 30, 2011, 12:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will this thing cost about what a new RS4 would and what would approximate timeline be for those who've done the forum guitar thing before?  I just bought a brand new RS4 and am still eating ramen noodles... dunno if I can spot for another if it's too close...

Quote from: Mikeymac on October 11, 2011, 08:43:20 AM
They all have to go through the same dealer - at least, that's been the case with past Forum guitars.

Now it's going to get even tougher - really nailing down the options (other than pickups) that everyone can agree upon. For example, I'm open to the "plain top" idea (but I also like the idea of some kind of burst; either traditional or a light "iced tea" burst), and I also like the idea of a satin finish (IF we have a plain top, but NOT if we have a fancier wood top), but I'm not crazy about the idea of a maple cap on the headstock: whichever inlay we might use will disappear with maple under/around it. I understand making the guitar unique, but I think there are some cosmetic/aesthetic considerations as well.

Looking forward to the continuing discussion/negotiations...
I like that it seems we are slowly steering ourselves towards a concensus.  I also like the idea of a P-90 bridge, mini HB neck combination.  The maple headstock overlay is not a deal-breaker for me in any way.  Was just trying to suggest ways to make the model instantly recognizable, especially from a distance.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: PM33AUD on October 11, 2011, 08:57:32 AM
Will this thing cost about what a new RS4 would and what would approximate timeline be for those who've done the forum guitar thing before?  I just bought a brand new RS4 and am still eating ramen noodles... dunno if I can spot for another if it's too close...
I think this is a very good question and is applicable to my situation as well.  Yesterday I said I would have more spouting off to do about my concept of what an offering like this would be.  Please understand these are just my personal ideas and not meant to offend, persuade, or dissuade any one considering getting one of these.  Anyways, here goes.  I'm just gonna riff it.

Key words to me are unique, special, immediately recognizable, understated, awesome value, and AFFORDABLE.  I say understated, because I think that is a way to make the guitar still awesome in tone and playability while keeping it affordable at the same time.  To me a limited edition guitar like this is issued because it is a way to get superior value due to the fact that there is a guaranteed minimum order (the economy of scale factor?).  It would be a special guitar in every way and one that those "in the know" (i.e forum members) have a once in a lifetime opportunity to get in on.  But it wouldn't be more expensive, it would just be more special if you will.  In fact, I think there is opportunity to make it even less costly than a stock RS4.

There are many ways to make a guitar special, unique, recognizable.  One way is to use superior figured woods, extra fancy inlays bindings, etc.  That is fine but that way adds cost.  My concept is to make it visually unique in other ways that don't add cost while taking advantage of the guaranteed minimum order factor.  That is why I suggest plain maple over figured for example.

More on "understated".  By that word, I don't mean "cheap looking".  We all know there are appointments on guitars that make them more appealing aesthetically, but don't contribute to their functionality or sound.  I say keep these appointments to the minimum while keeping the guitar unique in looks and (important to me) instantly recognizable as "one of those awesome Forum V RS4s", especially while performing with one.

What would be sweeter than pulling one of these out of it's case, and seeing the typical look of disdain from "headstock" snobs change to a look of awe when they hear it or play it for themselves.  And then telling them that there are only so many of these and they only costed this much, etc. etc.

Obviously, some of my ideas are for selfish reasons, as I will have a hard time affording one of these no matter what they end up costing.  However, going this way may also give more people the opportunity to join in which would potentially reduce the unit cost even more which would be a benefit to all.

I would have loved to own a LP Standard guitar for example, but I bought a LP studio model instead.  Why?  Because it was basically the same guitar but without the fancier appointments and I could afford it. (In hindsight, had I known about the Larrivee electrics at the time, I would now probably own an RS2 instead.  In fact, I will likely have to sell the studio in order to get a Forum V).

OK, that's enough riffing I think.

Kurt
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Kurt,

Don't apologize for sharing your thoughts ... it's part of getting us all to a consensus around here.

I agree that price is a factor  - no doubt for most of us...I suspect that most of us want to keep the price equivalent to a standard" RS-4, or a little lower if possible (although I doubt that, with the special wind on the pickups and the possibility of ordering different pickup options). If we can at least keep it at the same price as the current RS-4 - cool.

My take on "understated" is that it will look like an instant "classic". That's why I'd be willing to go with a satin finish (very "forum"/unique/non-standard on an RS-4). My first choice would still be the traditional sunburst (which Larrivee also does so well on their acoustics) but I would consider something lighter like an "iced tea" burst; this lighter finish would lend itself to tortoise binding, which would also make it unique.

I don't know what to think on fretboard inlays. Dots might be cool IF we got three dots (or maybe just ONE dot?) at the 12th fret (since this is the FIRST forum electric?). Then also get one of the discussed headstock inlays, with or without the silver border.

That's enough outta me for now, too!  :rolleye:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I like most of what Kurt says. I also think forum runs should be more practical and available to the widest range of members than something that shoots for the moon with the number of unique options that can be squeezed into a single guitar.

I'm relatively new, but assuming if I'm interested that my vote counts as much as the next guys, I'm good with a plain top. I'm not good with tortoise binding on anything burst. If it were entirely my decision I'd probably go with something like candy red with ivoroid binding with a natural finish on the back leaving the hog to show itself off.

Love the Callaham bridge, and would like a nice ebony board with minimalist inlays (no bulky blocks).

Aside from that, from what I gather we get our choice of pickups, including shapes/sizing of routes?  I'd love a nice LP deluxe setup that would allow either mini-hums or p-90s.

Not sure I care about something special in the inlay or whatever making it stand out as something special. Why not just have that Larrivee guy hand write 1 of XX Forum 2012 on the back of the headstock and call it a day?

I am in the other boat for sure.  A plain RS4 is kinda like an RS3 or sth and I think there should be something special 'built-in' to it above even the RS4.  Otherwise we'd just be buying an RS2 (the 'studio' model) or a stock RS4 (the 'standard premium' model). 

A sweet figure is something I love and am looking forward to the stock of reserve maple... mmm boi!  I like the vine HS inlay and am hoping they think of something other than dots for the fretboard.  I think the finish was mentioned to be a subtle burst somewhere between amber and root beer which I'm def looking forward to.  If this ends up getting majority vote for a more plain RS4, then I'm going to be out, which is fine too!

Oh and speaking of the FB inlays (again - sorry!), many of my guitars I kinda like either really elegant ones or just leaving the FB blank.  Maybe a possibility is some kinda 'V' or something signifying it's the forum V at the 12th fret or maybe a V 'vine' extending across a couple frets centered at the 12th and leave off all other FB inlays ?  I think that would be elegant and not get gaudy considering the detail of the HS inlay which is why I think they were thinking of the dots in the first place.

Quote from: PM33AUD on October 23, 2011, 06:21:48 PM
A plain RS4 is kinda like an RS3

Perfect! All the benefit of the RS4 at an RS2 style price!  :smile:

Does Larrivee do one-off custom orders? I like the plain-jane idea so much I think I'd like one regardless of the direction this goes.

Matt mentioned that he would be willing to use some special maple caps for this and that is something that i am definitely looking forward to.  I really like the idea of making this tastefully unique.  Maybe a simple fretboard with something special on the headstock and a small forum V designation somewhere.  Callaham is ok if that is where people want to go.  Mix all of this with the special burst (which i dont get the impression will affect price) and i think that is perfect.
Cameron

2012 Forum V RS-4 #3
2006 OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18

Quote from: cynic on October 23, 2011, 11:21:32 PM

Does Larrivee do one-off custom orders? I like the plain-jane idea so much I think I'd like one regardless of the direction this goes.

It probably depends how busy they are and if what you are asking can be done without creating new forms/dies/molds for a one-off order.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992