Ideas for a Forum RS-4

Started by Mikeymac, September 30, 2011, 12:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Mikeymac on October 07, 2011, 10:48:51 PM
Nothing special about Rootbeer - Matthew just suggested it:

"Rootbeer Finish: I think this finish would be a great choice for this guitar. We have some special highly figured maple tucked away that would work exceptionally well for this. Rootbeer does not work well on mahogany."

I think that Matthew is saying that their stash of "special highly figured maple" will make it uncommon, even if you already have it. I also really like the original 3 color sunburst, but the black edges would cover up a lot of that special wood.

Maybe we could split the difference and do a tint that is halfway between amber and rootbeer with no burst edge on the special maple - this would be a unique guitar, as long as the color turned out well. Or maybe kind of an orange burst (but not TOO orange, if you know what I mean!).

Those of us with amber RS4s already have highly figured maple and no burst, so having one in a slightly different color wouldn't make financial sense.....

Quote from: PM33AUD on October 08, 2011, 03:16:17 PM
What's the draw for a mini HB?  Why not just use the regular ones?
Got guitars out the wazoo with regular humbuckers. Would give the RS4 Forum a different look, different sound .. stuff like that. And I don't have any mini-hums. If this were an option, I'd go for it. Wasn't proposing it be the only pickups.
Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."

Greetings all.  I haven't checked in in a while  :donut :donut2   

You can count me in on the Forum RS4.  It makes perfect sense to me to follow suggestions of the builder Matt Larrivee.  Sort of a builders choice with some input from members.  It works for me personally since I have a hogtop RS4 now and I am eager to try the maple cap model.  (especially maple from his special stash  :tongue:).   The RB finish looks great.  I prefer the nickel hardware.  Pearl dot inlays work for me; the headstock and inlays and hardware would all need to tie together, so whatever works. 

LOVE the idea  of special forum mini-humbuckers (signed).  I would prefer a satin neck for playability, but not a show stopper.  Thanks!         
P-03 OM-09  RS-4

i'm probably in the minority one this, but i think a plain top would be amazing, no flame or quilting at all.  i think it could be cool too to make play w/ the neck carve.  i think a fatter or beefier neck would be cool.  i also think humbuckers are the way to go, but having a special wind.  i think it would be cool to have a set of pups that were slightly and intentionally michrophonic.  i think that makes for a really cool and harmonically rich pup.

two other ideas:  could be cool to have a slightly thinker mahogany back, but i don't know how feasable that is from a builder's pov.  also could be cool to have just a single pup--just a bridge pickup.  oh, one more idea: maybe have a forum model be bade from especially light wood.

anywho, just a few things i think would be cool.

A couple more good ideas tossed out here that others might consider worthwhile:

A satin neck (I'm up for either that or gloss, but for live playing, satin is nice!);

A plain maple top; I think this could look really cool with the traditional 3-color sunburst - maybe even in satin, giving the whole guitar an old school look (like an old Kay or Harmony), and again, combined with mini-humbuckers and a wrap around, this would be a very distinctive instrument

... I do realize that some folks want "bling" for their money, though ... so we'll see...
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: fritferret on October 09, 2011, 07:37:32 PM
i think it would be cool to have a set of pups that were slightly and intentionally michrophonic.  i think that makes for a really cool and harmonically rich pup.

I don't really know about intentional microphonics, but I am assuming if they are vibrating nice in a harmonic fashion, they will also go flipping out of control when overdriven a little more liberally and you're playing loud in which case I am not interested.  I don't really play blues or classic rock or jazz (often) so a pickup that is more stable is my preference.  That being said, there is something going on with the RS4 pups b/c they sound freaking awesome - especially clean!  My god, they sound good clean.  Addicting I tell ya!

Quote from: PM33AUD on October 10, 2011, 12:13:36 AM
I don't really know about intentional microphonics, but I am assuming if they are vibrating nice in a harmonic fashion, they will also go flipping out of control when overdriven a little more liberally and you're playing loud in which case I am not interested.  I don't really play blues or classic rock or jazz (often) so a pickup that is more stable is my preference.  That being said, there is something going on with the RS4 pups b/c they sound freaking awesome - especially clean!  My god, they sound good clean.  Addicting I tell ya!

making them slightly microphonic wouldn't necessarily make them feedback or less stable.  of course, w/ any vintage style pups, if you're playing w/ high gain and loud, that's going to significantly increase the chances of the pups feeding back.  how much gain are you playing w/?  i've played some VERY loud gigs w/ all of my larrivees...and i mean loud--100 watt amp through 2 212 cabs set to a medium amount of gain (think joe bonamassa or zz top levels of gain).  i've had no problems w/ feedback or the pups flipping out.  i think the culprit w/ your pups is either in the pup (not the pup design, but something strange w/ that particualr set pup, somethign abnormal) or the level of gain you prefer.  either way, it looks like matthew is going to sort out the issue.  congrats on the gutiar, too.  looks great and probably sounds even better.

re: a forum gutiar, i wouldn't be interested at all in a guitar w/ pups made for high gain applications.  i've never heard a high gain pup that i've liked and i also don't like how they hit the front end of amp.  i think the sound is too focus, not open enough, and that almost all of the harmonics i like get squelched.  but that's just me.  other folks sound fine w/ them.  i think the generation 3 pups actually strike a great balance between paf style pups and modern pups.  i live that they have the bigger bass and mids of a more modern pup, but retain the brightness, openness, and detail of paf style pups.  they sound great clean and overdriven whereas a lot of modern pups sound terrible clean, imo.

Quote from: fritferret on October 10, 2011, 08:41:20 AM
re: a forum gutiar, i wouldn't be interested at all in a guitar w/ pups made for high gain applications.  i've never heard a high gain pup that i've liked and i also don't like how they hit the front end of amp.  i think the sound is too focus, not open enough, and that almost all of the harmonics i like get squelched.  but that's just me.  other folks sound fine w/ them.  i think the generation 3 pups actually strike a great balance between paf style pups and modern pups.  i live that they have the bigger bass and mids of a more modern pup, but retain the brightness, openness, and detail of paf style pups.  they sound great clean and overdriven whereas a lot of modern pups sound terrible clean, imo.

Agree with your comments here. Larrivee's pickups are excellent (I have both the humbuckers and the P-90s). But that's also why I think it would be interesting to see what Matthew would come up with for a mini-humbucker.

I don't think I've heard anyone here ask for a high gain pickup from Larrivee: I agree with your observations on those. The highest gain set of pickups I own are a set of SD JB and Jazz and a set of DiMarzio Mo' Joe and PAF Joe - and none of those are particularly "high gain" (I think DiMarzio lists the "Joe" pups in their medium gain range).

Quote from: Mikeymac on October 10, 2011, 09:44:42 AM
I don't think I've heard anyone here ask for a high gain pickup from Larrivee: I agree with your observations on those. The highest gain set of pickups I own are a set of SD JB and Jazz and a set of DiMarzio Mo' Joe and PAF Joe - and none of those are particularly "high gain" (I think DiMarzio lists the "Joe" pups in their medium gain range).

you're right, no one has asked about high gain pups.  i working on the assumption that PM33 might be looking for or interested in a pup that was built more for high applications given some of his concerns.

i think a humbucker-sized minihumbucker could be cool.  something else that could be cool for a forum rs-4, maybe a shorter scale length.  i don't know how difficult that kind of mod is though.  i assume it's not just a matter of making the neck short, but shifting pup location slightly, maybe even the bridge, et cetera.  could be fun though.

i think something like this finish and top would be great:

Yea, I am thinking maybe the set I have there's something 'off' which I will know for sure in a few days.  I am not a high gain player at all and the reason is because the character of a guitar starts to go away when you add more and more.  The gain I use is medium in my opinion.  Think Tool or sth.  I'm not shooting for crazy amounts like in metal or sth where you can look at a string and make a pinch harmonic.

I fully agree that there is a compromise with higher output and good clean tone from all the pickups I've tried - EXCEPT FOR THESE.  I am also not saying the RS4 pickups are low output because they actually have more output than my JB/Jazz combo, which are medium-high output - I was surprised myself but the recording doesn't lie.  All I am saying is if potting these guys doesn't noticeably screw up the sound, then do it up.  There is nothing wrong with the output - more than enough - and the clean is so awesome. 

I wonder if I can order some for my other guitars (BTW, can you buy sets?)... if the squealing is indeed inherent in all the pickups and not just a weird bug with mine then I can pot a set and do an A/B comparison on if it affected the tone negatively.  Mini pickups I still don't understand.  Why mess with something that is already stellar!   :D

Quote from: fritferret on October 10, 2011, 09:53:18 AM
you're right, no one has asked about high gain pups.  i working on the assumption that PM33 might be looking for or interested in a pup that was built more for high applications given some of his concerns.

Something else that could be cool for a forum rs-4, maybe a shorter scale length.  i don't know how difficult that kind of mod is though.  i assume it's not just a matter of making the neck short, but shifting pup location slightly, maybe even the bridge, et cetera.  could be fun though.

I am not really looking for a high-gain pickup - just for it to be 'stable'... if you want high gain, one would just use the amp or a pedal so the clean is still nice.  I don't think high gain pickups are necessary with all of the control one gets with pedals and amps these days.  My particular issue is hopefully just a weird fluke!

RE: the scale length, I'd have to 'nay' that one.  The 25.5" is the whole reason I purchased the RS4.  LPs and SGs flab out easily unless you use huge strings - but then you run into other problems.  25.5" scale gives more clarity in my experience and there are VERY few 25.5" LP-ish guitars.  Maybe I am biased - I've always played Strats, n Ibbys, n other 25.5" guitars.  I am willing to bet a large part of the tone everyone loves is partly due to the scale they chose.

Just wanted to add that I'm not a pickup expert (  :wink: ) and not really sure of the inherent differences in regular vs. mini-humbuckers.   But I think the Gen3 HB's on my RS4 are truly outstanding and the idea of Matt L. creating another pickup (whether its mini or regular) caught my interest immensely. 

I agree focus should be on great sound and tone.  Attractive wood is very nice, but I am not huge fan of some of the incredibly over-the-top flamed maple finishes I have seen on high end guitars.  People might expect me to be great guitar player if I played one of those !     :smile:    Although, I haven't really seen Larrivee go that route, everything pretty tasteful in my view.

This Forum RS4 is great idea!  This could be a real collectors item.  More people should sign up !         
P-03 OM-09  RS-4

i'd be most interested in a forum rs-4 that aimed at vintage looks and tone. i'd also like to have nylon saddles for the high strings.  old school grover tuners, the heavy ones, would be cool, too.  i like the idea of a finish that has a bit of a duller look to it.  i also think getting matthew's take on a really good paf would be cool, double tones and all.  fatter neck carve.  man, that would be perfect, imo!

I've been jones'n for a Larrivee electric for quite a while, so as soon as y'all reach a consensus I'm in!  By the way, just how long does that typically take??

All Lefty:
Acoustic:
Larrivee OMV-10
Larrivee D-05E
Martin CEO-7
Taylor 416

Electric:
Larrivee RS-4, Forum V #2
Fender American Standard Tele
Fender Aerodyne Strat
PureSalem Elevation
Epiphone Joe Pass, modified with Gibson '57 classics

Quote from: fritferret on October 09, 2011, 07:37:32 PM
I'm probably in the minority one this, but i think a plain top would be amazing, no flame or quilting at all.  ianywho, just a few things i think would be cool...............
Quote from: Mikeymac on October 09, 2011, 10:49:24 PM
........................A plain maple top; I think this could look really cool with the traditional 3-color sunburst - maybe even in satin, giving the whole guitar an old school look ... I do realize that some folks want "bling" for their money, though ... so we'll see...

I'm definitely in the plain maple camp.  Don't favor a traditional sunburst personally, just a plain light tinted, natural, or a very slight light sunburst.  Like fritferret's picture which I really like.  I'm all for understatement in a special edition guitar like this as opposed to extra fancy wood and bling.

As stated before, is a matching maple headstock overlay out of the question?  It would immediately distinguish the guitar from the regular ones.  As far as pups, I don't have the luxury/funds of being able to obtain more than one RS4 with different pups and sounds so I would want the current Larrivee humbucker or P-90.  I understand those of you who already have one or more of these and want something different, but  I would want mine to sound like an RS4 was designed to sound like.  Of course if all of the 3 pup designs were available as an option, then all could have what they want.  I don't favor having these options, personally, for reasons given below.

To me (and this is just a personal opinion) it would be kind of nice if all Forum V RS4s sounded, looked, and played more or less the same.  To achieve that, they would have to have the same pups, woods and hardware, no matter what the final choices might ultimately be agreed upon.  My rationale is that a forum V RS4 would be a great guitar somehow recognized for it's awesome qualities and looks and if one was seeking one out in the future, they would know what they were getting.  If there were too many variations, then everytime an owner was to describe his guitar to another he or she would have to qualify what "version" of Forum V RS4 they had.  So Joe's Forum V may or may not be like Mary's Forum V.  It would kind of water down the uniqueness of the guitar.  There are lots of opportunities to custom order a regular RS4 or do mods to a regular one so why offer several options an a guitar that is supposed to be distinguished by it's special model name. I don't know if I'm expressing myself very well on this idea.

I'm not done spouting off my opinions.  See my next post.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on October 10, 2011, 10:51:10 PM

To me (and this is just a personal opinion) it would be kind of nice if all Forum V RS4s sounded, looked, and played more or less the same.  To achieve that, they would have to have the same pups, woods and hardware, no matter what the final choices might ultimately be agreed upon.  My rationale is that a forum V RS4 would be a great guitar somehow recognized for it's awesome qualities and looks and if one was seeking one out in the future, they would know what they were getting.  If there were too many variations, then everytime an owner was to describe his guitar to another he or she would have to qualify what "version" of Forum V RS4 they had.  So Joe's Forum V may or may not be like Mary's Forum V.  It would kind of water down the uniqueness of the guitar.  There are lots of opportunities to custom order a regular RS4 or do mods to a regular one so why offer several options an a guitar that is supposed to be distinguished by it's special model name. I don't know if I'm expressing myself very well on this idea.

I'm not done spouting off my opinions.  See my next post.

Firstly Luv the last line - should be a signature  :smile:

As far as all being the same - in a perfect world yes I agree BUT to get everyone to agree on the very same options well is most unlikely. We need 10 members I confirmed this today with Larrivee. Looking at past Forum Guitars not one issue ( 1, 2, 3 and 4) were all the same within it's #. Maybe Forum 4 was closest to attaining that but even that had bone nut & saddle and Tuner upgrades. Other Forum Gits had spruce or hogtop options, cutaway and non cutaway options etc. Well you get my point I'm sure.

Our options that we put forward cannot be infinite and must maintain the integrity of the RS-4 ( tho this in itself can be a problematic discussion).

I hope to firm up a Dealer before this weekend as well as have a listing of options being offered. I did learn from my communication today with Larriivee that we would be the first offered a Larrivee Mini Humbucker and these would be signed by Matthew LARRIVEE. Now that excites me but I already have a few RS-4's with Humbuckers thus I fully understand and agree with those who only want the Larrivee full HB's. Well the good news is we have full option on the PUPS. You want 2 HB's - Done  You want 2 P90's - done. Two Mini's - done  A P90 Bridge and a Mini in the neck - done  :drool: ( well I guess you can see what I want) So full option on the PUP's

Once The Dealer is confirmed I will start a new thread titled "Forum V - The RS-4" and reference this one because Friends it certainly looks like we are going down that road :smile:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on October 11, 2011, 01:41:59 AM
Once The Dealer is confirmed I will start a new thread titled "Forum V - The RS-4" and reference this one because Friends it certainly looks like we are going down that road :smile:

Can't wait, I am drooling already!   :drool:

Mike
Seek perfection of character!
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!
Refrain from violent deeds!

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on October 11, 2011, 01:41:59 AM

I hope to firm up a Dealer before this weekend as well as have a listing of options being offered. I did learn from my communication today with Larriivee that we would be the first offered a Larrivee Mini Humbucker and these would be signed by Matthew LARRIVEE. Now that excites me but I already have a few RS-4's with Humbuckers thus I fully understand and agree with those who only want the Larrivee full HB's. Well the good news is we have full option on the PUPS. You want 2 HB's - Done  You want 2 P90's - done. Two Mini's - done  A P90 Bridge and a Mini in the neck - done  :drool: ( well I guess you can see what I want) So full option on the PUP's

You're making it awfully hard to resist getting another RS-4. That P90/mini HB option sounds like the one. I agree that there should be options like the ones stated above.

Will there be a Canadian dealer as well?
:donut :donut2 :coffee
RS-4 Forum V Mini's,

Quote from: randmag on October 11, 2011, 08:07:32 AM

You're making it awfully hard to resist getting another RS-4. That P90/mini HB option sounds like the one. I agree that there should be options like the ones stated above.

Will there be a Canadian dealer as well?
:donut :donut2 :coffee

They all have to go through the same dealer - at least, that's been the case with past Forum guitars.

Now it's going to get even tougher - really nailing down the options (other than pickups) that everyone can agree upon. For example, I'm open to the "plain top" idea (but I also like the idea of some kind of burst; either traditional or a light "iced tea" burst), and I also like the idea of a satin finish (IF we have a plain top, but NOT if we have a fancier wood top), but I'm not crazy about the idea of a maple cap on the headstock: whichever inlay we might use will disappear with maple under/around it. I understand making the guitar unique, but I think there are some cosmetic/aesthetic considerations as well.

Looking forward to the continuing discussion/negotiations...