Ideas for a Forum RS-4

Started by Mikeymac, September 30, 2011, 12:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

With the couple of sweet white RS-4's I've seen, what about a trans-white finish sort of like ?   A burst could be carefully done with a lightly tinted brown - almost almond on the edges.  Would def have to be a bright maple cap tho - maybe even some bleaching (this is touchy as hell!).

Gold hardware is a must on a white geetar!

Phil

Quote from: PM33AUD on October 03, 2011, 08:41:23 AMA burst could be carefully done with a lightly tinted brown - almost almond on the edges.  Would def have to be a bright maple cap tho - maybe even some bleaching (this is touchy as hell!).

I like the idea of a subtle (rootbeer?) burst on a hog top. With a wrap around bridge. Then you have to ask about the tortoise binding idea; ivory binding would make a better contrast...

Another option I thought of was open coil humbuckers - for a more "low brow" look on a hog top guitar with subtle burst. (Again, I think making the pickup choice an option for each person is the only way to reach consensus here on THAT part of the built.)

2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on October 03, 2011, 11:14:17 AM
I like the idea of a subtle (rootbeer?) burst on a hog top. With a wrap around bridge. Then you have to ask about the tortoise binding idea; ivory binding would make a better contrast...

Another option I thought of was open coil humbuckers - for a more "low brow" look on a hog top guitar with subtle burst. (Again, I think making the pickup choice an option for each person is the only way to reach consensus here on THAT part of the built.)

Light Rootbeer Burst on mahogany would be killer. Open coil pickups would get my vote, too. On the consensus thing ... has that actually happened on the Forum guitars?  :whistling:
Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."

Quote from: tulk1 on October 03, 2011, 01:34:27 PM
Light Rootbeer Burst on mahogany would be killer. Open coil pickups would get my vote, too. On the consensus thing ... has that actually happened on the Forum guitars?  :whistling:

not really. Just close enough to get people to buy in when a decision is finally made by whoever drives the final spec.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

In order for this to happen, there are a few things that are going to need to occur:

1) One person is going to have to contact a dealer (preferably one that participates on the forum) and start the ball rolling
2) The dealer will need to get in touch with our sales department, and speak to Corey who will be the liaison and the primary point of contact

As far as available options on the instruments, sure there are lots of things that are possible, but I recommend keeping it somewhat simple. My suggestion is to keep the core concept of the RS-4 intact (Maple cap over mahogany body, with mahogany neck and rosewood fretboard) and customize it from there. Below are some comments on the options people have listed:

- Bigsby: We're not opposed to these, but they will add a decent ammount to the price. I believe the one that fits is the B3.   
- Rootbeer Finish: I think this finish would be a great choice for this guitar. We have some special highly figured maple tucked away that would work exceptionally well for this. Rootbeer does not work well on mahogany.
- Mini Humbucker: I would be willing to wind some Larrivee Mini-Humbuckers (Forumbuckers?) for the guitar. Though due to the design and construction of the pickup, they must have a nickel-silver cover. 
- Headstock - Either the JCL, or Vine Headstock would be acceptable. The Vine headstock looks great on an RS-4.
- Gold Hardware - Our preference would be for Nickel hardware.
- Dark Binding - The dark bindings really only work with light-color solid or purely natural finishes. Part of what makes rootbeer "pop" is the light binding.
- Fretboard inlays - The deluxe inlay is possible. We considered it during the design of the instrument, but it just seemed out of place. 5mm pearl dots look very nice. Perhaps that could be a good option?
- Markings indicating "forum" and/or Production Numbers - I think special individualized decals under the finish, on the back of the headstock would be best. Not only will it keep the cost down, but it will also keep the potential future resale value of the instrument higher. It also allows for greater customization.
- Signature on headstock - We have an un-written rule that neither johnny jr or I sign guitars. However, I would be willing to sign and number the pickups.
- Ebony Fretboard - It could be an option, but it will alter the tone of the instrument.
- Left handed - No problem.

Matthew: Thanks for the information that will hopefully help focus efforts to get this project come to fruition...

" I recommend keeping it somewhat simple."

Thanks Matthew, perfectly said. Keeping it simple will help keep the price down, which will give more people the opportunity to purchase one. 

Larrivee RS4
Larrivee 000-50
Gibson 54 Reissue
Fender Custom Shop "La Cabronita"

Matthew - we always appreciate your input; it's very helpful and it gives us some focus.

While I already have a Rootbeer Burst RS-4, having another with a special top is appealing (or I might decide to sell my current one and get one with a different finish).

I REALLY LIKE the idea of some "custom wound" mini-humbuckers! And hand signed by Matthew, the designer/builder - even better!

I still really like the idea of 10 series fingerboard inlays, but pearl dots would be fine if we also choose the Vine or JCL headstock inlay. Can someone post an example of these two inlays so we all know what we're talking about?

Decals on the back of the headstock make a lot of sense and cents...

This thing might come into focus yet!

Anyeone have a preference for a dealer?

Who is REALLY IN on commiting to such a guitar (not exactly what I've listed above, but with getting "in" and being committed)? It will be a stretch for me right now, but I'm up for it...

here's a vine headstock from my L-09 CE

here's an new JCL logo .

[attachment deleted by admin]
Randy R., Georgia, USA

I like the Vine Inlay, if it doesn't add significantly to the $$s. I'm sorta in that can/might/would commit camp, as well. Would probably have to move another guitar to get one. But I think I'm okay with that. To get a custom jobber, designed on the forum ... yeah, I'd go for that.

Next, we need a Forum Mandolin .................  :tongue:
Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."

:donut :donut :donut2 :donut2

I'm in the might commit camp with tulk1, but I'd definitely have to move a guitar to make that happen.
I think the vine inlay on the headstock is just about the best looking headstock I've seen and I can't think of a better one

After seeing them both, I'll give another vote for the Vine/Larrivee logo - just looks right with the silver border, which is part of the design on these.

Quote from: Mikeymac on October 04, 2011, 02:45:17 PM
After seeing them both, I'll give another vote for the Vine/Larrivee logo - just looks right with the silver border, which is part of the design on these.

The vine is nice BUT they are out there already on the RS 4:

Prefer the JCL due to uniqueness on an electric BUT not a deal breaker either way for me

[attachment deleted by admin]
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: PM33AUD on October 04, 2011, 06:44:10 PM
wth is a 'hog top' ?!

hog = maHOGany
Randy R., Georgia, USA

I'd be in for a Forum Bakersfield! :wave
Rob

Larrivee D-05
Larrivee RS-4 Custom (Arctic White)

Quote from: robwms on October 04, 2011, 10:49:28 PM
I'd be in for a Forum Bakersfield! :wave

Probably do that next time around!  :arrow

Personally, I am not in the camp of making it as "cheap" as possible.
I am in the camp of making it as unique as possible....

Larrivee is known for their fine woods, so I'd like to see a nice, glossy, UNPAINTED top.
I really like the hog top...especially that quilted hog top.  But that's been done.

How about something like this?  Scroll down to the second guitar

http://www.edroman.com/customshop/wood/bubinga.htm

I'd like the same wood on the headstock, with the JCL inlay.

I'd like the solderless PUP system so everyone could have what they want there.

Of course, I'd like a bigsby whammy bar.

I get excited about the mention of any new forum guitar. I hope I'm not still poor when it comes down to specs and an order going in.

I really like the "Forumbucker" idea.  I've been wanting something with minihumbuckers for years. 

I would also be more partial to a natural or transparent finish to show off the wood.

Hopefully this keeps going and we get the chance to buy one of these guitars.

Larrivee D-50 total sunburst
Larrivee D-03r
Gibson Custom Shop Advance Jumbo Gold
Gibson SG Classic
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull S6+GT
Art&Lutherie 12 String
Epiphone M-20 Mandolin
1960/61 Supro Lap Steel
Squier P-Bass