Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ideas for a Forum RS-4  (Read 15223 times)
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2011, 12:43:38 AM »

Larrivee is known for their fine woods, so I'd like to see a nice, glossy, UNPAINTED top.
I really like the hog top...especially that quilted hog top.  But that's been done.

How about something like this?  Scroll down to the second guitar

http://www.edroman.com/customshop/wood/bubinga.htm

I'd like the same wood on the headstock, with the JCL inlay.

The tricky part, of course, is that Matthew said to keep it simple (but simple doesn't have to mean "budget"). I assume that means they're not going to go looking for woods they don't have in stock to do tops on these.

Another option - that they MIGHT have in stock would be a koa top. But since Matthew didn't mention this, I'm assuming it's a wild card idea...

...I think upgraded tops, special inlays and the mini-buckers would make it a special Forum guitar.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2011, 01:33:06 AM »

Personally, I am not in the camp of making it as "cheap" as possible.
I am in the camp of making it as unique as possible....

Larrivee is known for their fine woods, so I'd like to see a nice, glossy, UNPAINTED top.
I really like the hog top...especially that quilted hog top.  But that's been done.

How about something like this?  Scroll down to the second guitar

http://www.edroman.com/customshop/wood/bubinga.htm

I'd like the same wood on the headstock, with the JCL inlay.

I'd like the solderless PUP system so everyone could have what they want there.

Of course, I'd like a bigsby whammy bar.

Nice to have you back Friend!!!

My understanding of keeping it simple was only limit the options. Another words all Forum Gits be essentially the same. Likely be much easier getting a dealer that way too as too many options can make for complications for a Dealer. Not sure we could get the plug and play PUPS if we want custom Matt LARRIVEE PUPS. My preference is with the custom Larrivees.

As well Friends the Maple Tops on the RS 4's are killer I would have absolutely no problem staying with the "thickest maple cap" in the industry I'm sure they would be pretty and killer tone.

Lastly I strongly believe this should be the next incremental Forum Guitar # as Larrivee Electrics are as much a part of Larrivee and this Forum as are the Acoustics and Mandies IMO. So if this endeavour gets off the Ground before another it should be Forum V.

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2011, 06:16:50 AM »

I say, stick with the top wood that gives it the tone it was designed to achieve in the first place = maple.  I wouldn't want any compromise in tone in exchange for a unique top wood no matter how beautiful or exotic it looked.  To make the guitar unique, there are many other options aside from using a different cap wood, for example:

- Logo style different from the stock model as suggested (either of the two suggested works for me, or how about a different one altogether)
- How about a maple headstock overlay in the same finish as the body and make the logo/inlay out of the same contrasting woods as the binding as I suggest below instead of the silver or pearl used on the stock model
- Exotic wood multi-layered binding in contrasting woods to the body finish.
- Make the fret markers from materials different from the stock ones also.  (I suggest wood)
- Make the body from plain or birdseye maple.  I'm not a fan of flame or quilted, but that's just me.  It's everywhere already.  Would be a nice understated look and maybe cheaper to boot.

My preference for color would be a transparent amber or even a natural gloss finish with matching headstock overlay and contrasting exotic wood bindings and headstock inlay.  I would want P90s in mine but I suppose that could be an option.

In my head, I'm picturing a light-colored plain or birdseye maple body with dark wood binding and a matching headstock with the same dark wood logo/inlay that includes, or has as an addition,  some small indication it is a "Forum V" (maybe just "F-V" ?).  The fret markers would be in the same pattern as the stock one, only in light wood (maple?) for the block part, and the same darker wood as the binding and inlay for the "VEE" part.  Seems to me this might be achieved without too much "retooling" since the basic templates would be the same and only the inlay materials would be different.  Maybe Matt could comment on whether or not this is true.

I guess what I'm saying is I would want mine to sound and play as an RS-4 was designed, yet not look like any RS-4 you could buy off the shelf, and also not cost a huge extra premium just because it is a "Forum" guitar.  If that couldn't be achieved, then I would pass on it and just buy a stock one.

My two cents, Kurt

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

PM33AUD

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2011, 07:28:29 AM »

I built a guitar a few years back using a camphor top.  What a super cool wood.  Pretty stable for as wacky a burl as it is.  It's also substantially lighter any easier to work than any of the other heavy burls I've used.  Here's what this one came out like:

http://prazision.com/projects/guitars/inferno/infernoss.html

I believe it's less dense than maple but this was on mahogany back and neck and still has some of the brightness a maple top guitar has.  This is my favorite 7 string and I prefer the sound of it compared to the other 7-bangers I've built which are a maple top/mahogany and a bubinga (read below) Either way, it's one helluva figure - looks like blood cells or sth!  Definitely a much more 'unique' wood on the guitar front.

I just finished a figured bubinga guitar (solid all way through) with maple neck and jesus, this is a HEAVY wood.  The guitar itself is light but  I had to lighten the innards quite a bit so 15% of it or so is hollow.  Even with this it is a bright sounding guitar, probably the brightest I own.  Very good for heavier music - excellent clarity but lacking some of the smoothness of my other guitars.  If I do another it would be coupled with a softer wood and neck but then again I dont play super heavy music anymore !

Just some idea :D

tulk1

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2011, 12:02:18 PM »

So, how does this actually work? This would be the first forum guitar since I joined. I get that we need a dealer on board, and a member to drive it. And that we need to get a near consensus (as if!) on the layout. But, what about quantity? Is there a minimum guaranteed order necessary to make it viable for Larrivee to build?

Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2011, 01:20:04 PM »

So, how does this actually work? This would be the first forum guitar since I joined. I get that we need a dealer on board, and a member to drive it. And that we need to get a near consensus (as if!) on the layout. But, what about quantity? Is there a minimum guaranteed order necessary to make it viable for Larrivee to build?

If we are going for custom PUPS would be around 10 minimum fairly confident with that.

Lots of great ideas for uniqueness whether its maple top or bubinga doesn't matter either way to me. Bubinga is a little heavier BUT would be very pretty and no question unique and I think still maintain the RS integrity.

Are we anywhere near say 10 members ( well 9 more as I'm definitely in)

If we are I would volunteer to take the lead and seek a Dealer, with your blessing

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2011, 01:55:22 PM »

The tricky part, of course, is that Matthew said to keep it simple (but simple doesn't have to mean "budget"). I assume that means they're not going to go looking for woods they don't have in stock to do tops on these.

Another option - that they MIGHT have in stock would be a koa top. But since Matthew didn't mention this, I'm assuming it's a wild card idea...

...I think upgraded tops, special inlays and the mini-buckers would make it a special Forum guitar.

Oh, I don't think they'd have to look too far...... whistling
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2011, 05:29:18 AM »

Oh, I don't think they'd have to look too far...... whistling

The tops on these are pretty thick ... have you seen some koa stock thick enough to work on an RS-4?

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
wilblee

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2011, 12:55:11 PM »

I have to agree that amber burst is very cool, since I've got one.

I think the following would be very cool:

• Figured mahogany top with antique or violin finish
• Tortoise binding, pickup rings and switch tip
• Amber knobs
• Nickel hardware with bone (or ebony) tuner buttons
• Mahogany neck with an ebony board
• Block and triangle inlays, but with the pearl and abalone reversed
• Stock headstock
• Matt's signature and Forum designation on the back of the headstock
• Matt Larrivée humbuckers - why not the best?

I've got money waiting on that guitar.

How do you make God laugh?  Tell Him your plans.

Cybercanyon

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2011, 12:29:59 AM »

I feel that since this is the first Forum Electric, we should keep it simple with some unique features.  I have updated what I feel the Forum guitar should be.

1.)  It should be based on the standard RS-4 guitar.
2.)  It should have a maple cap, I am sure Matthew can find something nice that will work.
3.)  Rootbeer Burst or Amber Burst,  I am leaning towards rootbeer burst.
4.) The head stock logo should be the Larrivee / Vine inlay.  It is very classy and still unique.  Very few RS-4s have them.
5.)  Larrivee PUPs.  (This should be a must.)
6.)  Labeling of some kind on the back of the head stock indicating that it is a Forum guitar and it's number,  such as 1 of x.
7.)  A choice of gold or chrome hardware.
8.)  A choice of bridge type, such as the standard, Bigsby B3, or wrap around.  (The Bigsby model would come with locking tuners.)

This would be a unique guitar that preserves the original idea of the RS-4 and its sound.  It would control costs but still provide enhanced features and some user customization.
I am on board no matter what we end up choosing.  Joyce already offered his services to get the ball rolling and I am also offering my assistance as well.

Mike

Seek perfection of character!
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!
Refrain from violent deeds!
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2011, 03:29:55 AM »

I feel that since this is the first Forum Electric, we should keep it simple with some unique features.  I have updated what I feel the Forum guitar should be.

2.)  It should have a maple cap, I am sure Matthew can find something nice that will work.
4.) The head stock logo should be the Larrivee / Vine inlay.  It is very classy and still unique.  Very few RS-4s have them.
6.)  Labeling of some kind on the back of the head stock indicating that it is a Forum guitar and it's number,  such as 1 of x.
8.)  A choice of bridge type, such as the standard, Bigsby B3, or wrap around.  (The Bigsby model would come with locking tuners.)

This would be a unique guitar that preserves the original idea of the RS-4 and its sound.  It would control costs but still provide enhanced features and some user customization.
I am on board no matter what we end up choosing.  Joyce already offered his services to get the ball rolling and I am also offering my assistance as well.

Mike

Just curious...what is unique about rootbeer or amber?  A bunch of us have one or both of them already.
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2011, 03:42:41 AM »

I'm good with most of these options; I suspect that if someone wants the Bigsby/w/locking tuners, this may add to their individual cost. Also include the option of your choice of pickups (including those mini-buckers Matthew said he could wind/build! Those WILL BE my choice!). I like the idea of the wrap-around bridge being an option, too. Matthew suggested chrome hardware...I'd stick with that.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2011, 03:48:51 AM »

Just curious...what is unique about rootbeer or amber?  A bunch of us have one or both of them already.

Nothing special about Rootbeer - Matthew just suggested it:

"Rootbeer Finish: I think this finish would be a great choice for this guitar. We have some special highly figured maple tucked away that would work exceptionally well for this. Rootbeer does not work well on mahogany."

I think that Matthew is saying that their stash of "special highly figured maple" will make it uncommon, even if you already have it. I also really like the original 3 color sunburst, but the black edges would cover up a lot of that special wood.

Maybe we could split the difference and do a tint that is halfway between amber and rootbeer with no burst edge on the special maple - this would be a unique guitar, as long as the color turned out well. Or maybe kind of an orange burst (but not TOO orange, if you know what I mean!).

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2011, 05:08:40 AM »

If especially fine figured maple is used then what about just a natural finish to show it off?  Sure looks good on the back and sides of a typical maple jumbo accoustic.  Or it  could be tinted with just a slight honey amber stain to bring out the grain.   That would make it unique from all other RS-4 "colors".

Or if a plainer maple is used, then just a very light burst would be nice.  Have  you guessed I am partial to natural finishes?

I attached some photos as examples.  It's obvious where they came from.  These were the best examples of my ideas I could find in a hurry and that didn't have to be resized in order to post.  Ignore the brand.  That had nothing to do with using these pics.

[attachment deleted by admin]

L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2011, 05:10:56 AM »

Plain maple top with natural (stripped off sunburst) finish a la John Lennon.

tulk1

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2011, 01:17:20 PM »

Mike
This is so close to what I was going to write, that I'll just second it, instead. And probably mini-buckers and a wrap tail for me!

Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."
jrporter

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2011, 03:53:55 PM »

This is so close to what I was going to write, that I'll just second it, instead. And probably mini-buckers and a wrap tail for me!

I'll third it...
PM33AUD

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2011, 08:16:17 PM »

What's the draw for a mini HB?  Why not just use the regular ones?
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2011, 09:58:52 PM »

What's the draw for a mini HB?  Why not just use the regular ones?

They would be different from a standard RS-4 - a special build/wrap by Matthew, first used (I would presume he would continue to find a use for them, esp. on the Bakersfield) on this guitar.

I'd be open to the natural finishes suggested above by Shooting Star if we did the tortoiseshell binding...

...but this is the "orange burst" sort of top I was imaging:

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2011, 10:01:56 PM »

I'll third it...

I would also fourth this build (with the light orangeburst I just posted)...this and the plain top tortoise idea both appeal to me.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: