RS-4s - Finishes

Started by PM33AUD, September 23, 2011, 07:32:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopefully the picture shows up this time:

Rob

Larrivee D-05
Larrivee RS-4 Custom (Arctic White)

Oh that is cool...

I think I'll be pulling the trigger on one in a few more days.  Only thing I am a little unsure of is the HB 'hotness.'  I'm used to JB/Jazz combos in pretty much all of my guitars.  I am curious to see if I am going to like a much lower output pickup.  Should sound nicer clean I am guessing and suppose I'll have to bump up the gain settings a notch or 2.  Worst case I'll pop the JB/Jazz in there :D

Nice guitars.  What is the lead-time on the custom guys?

Phil

Quote from: robwms on September 27, 2011, 07:15:06 PM
hopefully the picture shows up this time:

Ain't that Purrrdy!!!!!!!!!!  I believe there were only a handful of the Whites made and all were a little different NONE nicer than that tho I gotta say
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: robwms on September 27, 2011, 07:06:01 PM
Hi Rev,

Glad you like my white one - the only thing prettier is the sound that comes out of it!

However, the binding only looks black in the photo. It's actually a tortoise shell like material (not exactly sure what it is):

Tortoise binding! Even BETTER!!!  :thumb   :nice guitar:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: PM33AUD on September 27, 2011, 08:00:48 PMOnly thing I am a little unsure of is the HB 'hotness.'  I'm used to JB/Jazz combos in pretty much all of my guitars.  I am curious to see if I am going to like a much lower output pickup.  Should sound nicer clean I am guessing and suppose I'll have to bump up the gain settings a notch or 2.  Worst case I'll pop the JB/Jazz in there :D

I have a JB/Jazz set in one of my Warmoth's (with 25.5 scale also) and I don't notice a huge difference - some volume perhaps, but these pickups are so well balanced that they drive a pedal nicely. I've had NO desire to change them out - this guitar will stay stock.

Here's a gloss hogtop.

[attachment deleted by admin]
L-03,  Forum-IV 003-Hog, RS-4 Hogtop HB's, Logan Custom Tele Rescue - (Aka used) (neck P-90)

Quote from: WPete on September 29, 2011, 07:03:17 PM
Here's a gloss hogtop.

Very nice!!!!!
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: WPete on September 29, 2011, 07:03:17 PM
Here's a gloss hogtop.

I'll tell ya, I don't know jack squat about electric guitars, but that is an elegant looking instrument.

Someone has to get thier act together and get a forum RS-4 going  :whistling:

Quote from: Matthew Larrivee on September 29, 2011, 10:40:07 PM

NOW you say that ... after I already have one!  :arrow

(Would love another, sir, but not for some time ... gotta have a C-09 first! And that's after I get my Bakersfield!)  :bowdown:

Quote from: Matthew Larrivee on September 29, 2011, 10:40:07 PM
So Friends if we were to do a Forum RS 4 what would we do to make it a Forum Guitar:

Finish :?  All Hog like WPete & Cybercanyon or BMW Blue like Frits  :?

Binding Options :?  tortoise shell like material similar to Robwms

PUP Options  :?  Mini HB in Neck

Bridge Options  :? WrapAround

Tuners :? Locking

Headstock Inlay :? Maybe with Forum V :?

What would everyone like to see :?

I like the idea of being able to have a humbucker in the bridge and a P-90 in the neck (or maybe mix  'n' match whatever pickup options you want?).

Also the option of a one piece wrap-around bridge for those who want that...I'd like that for something different on an RS-4.

I think all hog with tortoise shell binding would look very distinctive. Or solid colors like the white, blue, candy red ... but with nice hog, I'd rather see the wood.

If it's all hog, how about a tung-oil finish over the whole body/back of neck? (This is harder to keep clean, but it looks nicer, in my opinion, than a satin finish, which tends to hide the beauty of the wood finish).

Definitely something special on the headstock; maybe the design that was used on the 40th Anniv. L guitars a couple years ago in place of the Larrivee logo?

Ebony fingerboard (to balance the all hog body and neck). Maybe the 10 series fingerboard inlays instead of the blocks with triangles.

Other ideas?  :?

I'm not sayin' I'm in right now ... but if it takes a while to get this figured out, I could plan on it around next Feb./March or so...

Or how about these ideas from one of our Friends currently in exile of which we are all familiar with his extraordinary guitar taste:

Quilted Hog RS4, with quilted Hog headstock with the old fashioned , interlocking JCL inlay, gold hardware with a Bigsby whammy bar (and a case it will fit in with that), Duncan's solderless PUP set up so we have options there,  and Forum V inlaid in the fretboard......AND a leather Larrivee guitar strap.

Re; headstock inlay   Maybe having the interlocking JCL, and a script "Ventura" under that

Oh, and it would be nice to have the QM neck too.......

:drool:

:wave

I might be in if I could get the Rose Lady on the headstock......

I'll probably want to try the P-90's since I've got the humbuckers on my RS-2

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on September 30, 2011, 11:34:25 AM
Quilted maple RS4, with quilted maple headstock with the old fashioned , interlocking JCL inlay, gold hardware with a Bigsby whammy bar (and a case it will fit in with that), Duncan's solderless PUP set up so we have options there,  and Forum V inlaid in the fretboard......AND a leather Larrivee guitar strap.

Oh, and it would be nice to have the QM neck too.......

I've highlighted the ideas in the quote that I like. I think a maple neck might be interesting - I don't know how available quilted maple neck stock would be; flame would be nice, though.

Love the strap idea. And agree that Bigsby would be cool (especially since I really like the Gibson Johnny A signature model that is 25.5" scale with a Bigsby), but the case would be problematic. Not crazy about gold hardware...maybe that could be an option along with chrome/nickel.

Time to start a separate thread for this topic...

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on September 30, 2011, 11:34:25 AM

Re; headstock inlay   Maybe having the interlocking JCL, and a script "Ventura" under that

Joyce,  shouldn't it be "Monterey" instead of "Ventura"?

Mike
Seek perfection of character!
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!
Refrain from violent deeds!

Quote from: Cybercanyon on September 30, 2011, 01:03:28 PM
Joyce,  shouldn't it be "Monterey" instead of "Ventura"?

Mike

Right you are  :ohmy: