Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LB-2 Info and Review  (Read 786 times)
sixpickn

Ignore
« on: September 23, 2011, 09:32:50 PM »

Hey Everybody -

I recently purchased a late '80s-ish Larrivee LB-2 electric bass to add to the collection.  As there was precious little information out there on these, I thought I'd add a few comments and photos to describe this piece for anyone with interest who might stumble upon one.  The main disclaimer is that I am a guitar player who bought a bass, not a bass player! 

This is a fine instrument.  At 20 years old or more, the bolt-on one piece maple neck is straight and true with low action.  It has an ebony fretboard and a truss rod adjust point at the headstock.  The body is a single slab of Alder with no trim, has a carved flat bevel on the front right arm position and a contoured bevel on the back for the leg.  Pickups on this one are active EMG, combination Jazz (neck) and Precision (bridge) with separate volume controls for each and a common tone knob.  The 9-volt battery fits into the electronics cavity and is wrapped with a piece of foam.  The potentiometers say "EMG-001" followed by resistance values and some other codes.  I didn't take the pickups out to see what the active electronics were in there.  The pots look like older big CTS to me, but not sure.  Tuners are Schaller (made in Germany).  Available literature says the bridges on these were badass, but I wouldn't know and it doesn't have ID visible.  High quality components throughout, and it balances very well.

As to sound, it's all subjective of course, but I couldn't hear any resonance or dropouts in the lower register which I've seen on other basses, and the sustain and decay character is very smooth.  If anything, the active pickups lean a bit toward being brighter, but between the pickup mix and tone control you can still get a nice woody sound as well.  In any event, this bass has a very consistent and even tone quality up and down the neck, and plays like butter.  Here's a few pics:

[attachment deleted by admin]

- jim

'76 LS-11, L-03BW, OM-03E, D-05-12, OM-09, LB-2
sixpickn

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 09:35:30 PM »

three more pics including closer-ups

- jim

'76 LS-11, L-03BW, OM-03E, D-05-12, OM-09, LB-2
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 10:21:43 PM »

Hey Everybody -

I recently purchased a late '80s-ish Larrivee LB-2 electric bass to add to the collection.  As there was precious little information out there on these, I thought I'd add a few comments and photos to describe this piece for anyone with interest who might stumble upon one.  The main disclaimer is that I am a guitar player who bought a bass, not a bass player! 

Can relate Friend, nice write up Don't think there was any standard bridge or pickup but safe to say the bridges tuners and PUPs were predominantly as you stated

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 10:24:45 PM »

Nice one HERE  on EBay especially if one is in Europe

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 10:51:24 PM »

here's my blue one....

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: