Larrivée Guitar Cases - Pics and History

Started by JOYCEfromNS, September 22, 2011, 07:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

After seeing THIS TOPIC got me a thinkin  :wacko:

How have the Larrivee Cases changed thru the years :? Approximately when did they change :?

The different model cases - Standard and Deluxe.

Please post a pic or two of your case and add if you can the approx year of the case ( likely coincide with the guitar date).

Those that have the 70's or 80's Larrivee did they come with a case :? The 80's electrics I have never been able to confirm whether or not they came with a case I assumed not. Anyone know for sure :?
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Larrivee Bakersfield Electric

Case Date 2011
Case made in Canada by TKL

[attachment deleted by admin]
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Larrivee RS Electric  Case

Case Date 2008
Case made in Canada by TKL

Unless someone bought their guitar new, its going to be difficult for them to know if the case is origonal or not. I have (or had) Larrivee guitars going all the way back to 1974, but its a guess if the case is origonal or not. I don't know if any of the old sales brochures talk about the cases at all? Ditto on the 3 1980's electrics I had and later sold. I still have my 1980's electric bass, don't recall what case it has. Gigbag I think? I don't think any of the pre-1985 or so guitars had a logo on their case. TKL logo cases since the early 1990's at least.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Quote from: Randy_R on September 22, 2011, 08:48:24 PM
TKL logo cases since the early 1990's at least.

None of my late 90's cases have a TKL logo on them anywhere.  They just say "Case Made in Canada" on the pull tab for the accessory pocket.

Quote from: AZLiberty on September 22, 2011, 09:46:40 PM
None of my late 90's cases have a TKL logo on them anywhere.  They just say "Case Made in Canada" on the pull tab for the accessory pocket.

I meant to say TKL cases with Larrivee Logo on them.

I'll take a look at my cases in the morning, they are all stored in a room downstairs.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Quote from: Randy_R on September 22, 2011, 09:53:39 PM
I meant to say TKL cases with Larrivee Logo on them.

I'll take a look at my cases in the morning, they are all stored in a room downstairs.

Ah.  I'm "watering the guitars" tonight. (filling the humidifiers)  My 1998 OM-03RE Case has a leather pull tab on the accessory pocket that has the TLK logo.  The 98 OM-03 and 99 D-03R-12 have plastic pull tabs which just say "Case Made in Cadada"  My 1996 Guild D-4-12 has the same style case, but with red plush lining instead of black.

And of course the Parlor came with a Levy's Gig bag instead of a case.

This is the original case that came with my L-07 (1982-83).  Made in Canada by "Everest".  There is no Larrivee Logo of any kind on it.  It has 5 latches, one locks but I lost the key years ago.  Starting to get a little beat up after 28 years.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Inside view of my L-07 case.  The hygrometer is not very accurate.  I don't remember it ever being accurate come to think of it.  It looks nice, but I don't rely on it.

Kurt

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

We have switches cases many times over the years for various reasons... Sometimes cost, sometimes quality, and sometimes local availability. While the quality of the case is extremely important, its not an item we think about so exact dates of changes from one maker to another are not recorded anywhere.

I'll see if I can dig up some photos, names, and dates.

How's that for service?

Thanks Matthew.

f
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Of all the cases that came with the Larrivees I owned this one was my favorite. I also have a picture of a very early Larrivee and case that John showed us in Vancouver a few years ago, that case was real nice. I'll try and find that picture as well.

Here are some pictures of John Larrivee, a very early Larrivee guitar and a very nice case to store this special guitar in.

Quote from: dependan on September 24, 2011, 11:24:50 AM
 Of all the cases that came with the Larrivees I owned this one was my favorite.

Danny I agree these were the nicest Larrivee Cases I have seen. IMO even nicer than the faux aligator ( tho very nice also)  30 Year Anniversary Guitar case

Case Date 1997

Case Made in Canada

6 Latch

To my knowledge the case only came with the 30 Year Anniversary Guitar in 1997

I've done my best to put together a list of cases over the years. This list is **not** set in stone. Sometimes we've ordered small batches from people over the years to fill a specific need. So this list is not meant to be taken as gospel, but rather as an approximate guide. The dates are our best guesses because some of the information is lost to the ages. Also, cases for un-usual guitars are stocked for years and span a few different manufacturers. i.e. We have clasical guitar cases in stock that are 15 years old still new in the boxes.

1967-1672 - Harpton Cases of New Jersey
1972 - One small shipment of cases from ESS (Maybe 10-20 pieces)
1972-1979ish Mark Leaf Cases
1975ish-1985 Everest Cases, Made in Canada (Owned by Nunzio Lombardie)
1985-1989 Datt Cases, Made in Canada. Mostly electric cases.
1989-2004 Etuis Boblen Cases, Made in Canada (Nunzio sold Everest Case company to Boblen - Boblen makes cases for TKL)
2004-2008 Access Products Group - Made in China
2008-2011 Etuis Boblen Cases, Made in Canada
2011+ Made in China, by a private manufacturer for Larrivee.

We use very few Asian made products on our instruments, we try to source domestic items for everything. However, there are no manufacturers in America or Canada that can produce a case even remotely close to the quality of the case we buy from China. The workmanship is amazing and clean and the hardware is top notch. While the chinese case is slightly more affordable to us, we would use it even if it was the same price as the domestic.

To answer someones question - Yes, MOST electrics produced in the 1980's came stock with a case though dealers could buy them without. All acoustics come standard with a case, with the exception of some -02 and -03 series guitars sold to guitar center from 1996 - 2000 which were sold without cases.

The case of my 2007 L-09 Madi.

Dave
'12 L-03RW Italian Spruce (Wildwood)

Quote from: Matthew Larrivee on September 25, 2011, 07:18:30 PM
I've done my best to put together a list of cases over the years. This list is **not** set in stone. Sometimes we've ordered small batches from people over the years to fill a specific need. So this list is not meant to be taken as gospel, but rather as an approximate guide. The dates are our best guesses because some of the information is lost to the ages. Also, cases for un-usual guitars are stocked for years and span a few different manufacturers. i.e. We have clasical guitar cases in stock that are 15 years old still new in the boxes.

1967-1672 - Harpton Cases of New Jersey
1972 - One small shipment of cases from ESS (Maybe 10-20 pieces)
1972-1979ish Mark Leaf Cases
1975ish-1985 Everest Cases, Made in Canada (Owned by Nunzio Lombardie)
1985-1989 Datt Cases, Made in Canada. Mostly electric cases.
1989-2004 Etuis Boblen Cases, Made in Canada (Nunzio sold Everest Case company to Boblen - Boblen makes cases for TKL)
2011+ Made in China, by a private manufacturer for Larrivee.

To answer someones question - Yes, MOST electrics produced in the 1980's came stock with a case though dealers could buy them without. All acoustics come standard with a case, with the exception of some -02 and -03 series guitars sold to guitar center from 1996 - 2000 which were sold without cases.

Thank you Matthew for the detailed account.

Seems then one of the cases referred to in this topic and the topic referenced in the OP as Delux case pre 2009 is :

And the post 2009 is:

The case we all seemed to like so much ( pictured by Dependan & Dave 42) is the Access Products Group - Made in China case?

Sure would luv to see some pics of the 80's electric case ( 1985-1989 Datt Cases, Made in Canada )

Looking forward to seeing the new 2011 case :blush:

I suppose the case I showed may be made in china, but it very well could be this style as well. 2008-2011 Etuis Boblen Cases, Made in Canada.

Thanks for the info. Matthew.

My 1988 D-10 Deluxe came in an Everest case with 5 latches and a blue plush interior.  No Larrivee markings on it at all.
My 2008 OM-60 came in the now standard case with Larrivee in script on the front.
Both are very nice cases.

LJ

Quote from: dependan on September 26, 2011, 10:09:44 AM
 I suppose the case I showed may be made in china, but it very well could be this style as well. 2008-2011 Etuis Boblen Cases, Made in Canada.    

Yes I too thought of that BUT usually Canadian Made cases will say Made in Canada somewhere on the case ( usually on the storage compartment pull tab). These cases  do not, as well Matthew alludes to the exceptional quality of the Chinese Cases and these certainly are that.