Tommy Emmanuel

Started by Mr_LV19E, September 20, 2011, 06:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anyone else going to see Tommy Emmanuel at the Royal Oak Music Theater this Saturday?
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

I work every Saturday in the Fall and miss too much (college football, great sunsets and other colors...and now Tommy E.)--I haven't been to the Royal Oak in years!

I think he's supposed to be in Grand Rapids soon, too. I'm going to the Trace Bundy/Sungha Jung concert on Oct. 7. But one of these days I'll catch Tommie. How do you spell SHRED!!! Awesome.
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Enjoy the show! He recently joined us for a return visit on our radio show...here's a link to his hour to whet your whistle! He even chats for a minute about his Larrivee.

http://www.themusicrowshow.com/TheMusicRowShow.com/TMRS-Podcasts/Entries/2011/8/28_Tommy_Emmanuel.html

Cheers,

S
Scott Southworth
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OOO-40R Custom
Larrivee OM-03 MT Custom
Larrivee D-10E
Larrivee OO-03MH
Taylor 910
Taylor GA-WS
Taylor GA-Custom Shop
Taylor 614CE
Taylor 315CE
Takamine EG523SC
Journey OF660M
Ibanez AW120ECERDV
Guild D25

Saw him in Tacoma in June.  He put on a great show.  :thumb
Steve ....aka the SMan

I WISH!!!! I'm a little far....

have fun!
04' Larrivee OM-03MT Forum I #9 of 17
08' Larrivee L-03R(E; Baggs)
09' Larrivee OO-03 Special Edition
00' Larrivee D-02
09' Baden A-Style Hog/Cedar
07' Breedlove Concert Maple
LTD ESP F-250
Ibanez S7420
QuoteAnyone's Everything.

I considered it, but I have seen him 3 times; twice at The Ark, once at House of Blues in New Orleans.
These tickets are [$39.95] not bad perhaps, but more than I have paid from any of the previous shows.
But what really got me was the Ticketmaster fees. $12.75 [processing fee plus a service charge (?)] essentially for the privilege of doing business with them.
I balked at that.
But, hey, it's a great show. Enjoy it, Roger.  :nice guitar:

Quote from: Queequeg on September 21, 2011, 11:00:03 AM
I considered it, but I have seen him 3 times; twice at The Ark, once at House of Blues in New Orleans.
These tickets are [$39.95] not bad perhaps, but more than I have paid from any of the previous shows.
But what really got me was the Ticketmaster fees. $12.75 [processing fee plus a service charge (?)] essentially for the privilege of doing business with them.
I balked at that.
But, hey, it's a great show. Enjoy it, Roger.  :nice guitar:

They referred to it as a convenience fee, so I figured it was for the convenience of them unfolding the chair I get to sit in.  Never seen him before so we are looking forward to it.
Roger

For you and your wife to see him for 100 bucks is well worth it, Roger.
He's a terrific entertainer, and he plays some astoundingly good guitar. His mastery of cascading artificial harmonics is just jaw-dropping. [Over the Rainbow]
But now you will have to write a review here afterwards.  :bgrin:

Quote from: Queequeg on September 21, 2011, 02:39:53 PM
But now you will have to write a review here afterwards.  :bgrin:

Yes please do!!!  :donut :donut2
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Wish I could.

I got to see him and a whole slew of guitar legends for free in the late summer of 2009 at what is called 'Guitar Town' at Copper Mountain, CO.  As it was a free show, one could basically roam wherever they pleased as long as you didn't stand in front of anyone.  So I got right up to the stage.  Here's one of Tommy up close and personal:

And later in the show with John(?) Jorgensen and Tommy:

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

I saw Tommy about a year ago, at the Keswick Theatre, outside Philly. My tenor guitar player scored two tickets,for free,from one of his guitar students. He is a dang interesting picker for sure.

Good luck! I know you will enjoy it.

I saw him 6 years ago and have really been wanting to seem him again. I'm hoping to make one of his upcoming performances in Ohio but I have to get the logistics straight since I have family commitments and the nearest show is 3 hours away.
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

Well the concert was great as would be expected, we sat on the right side in the second row and had this huge EV speaker about 5 feet from us. First up was Anthony Snape who is another Australian performer who had an excellent voice and played a mean guitar. After several songs he was joined by Grammy nominated singer/songwriter Pam Rose for a few more tunes and then there was a short intermission before the main act.

Tommy entered already shifted into high gear and had people scrambling for their seats, not wanting to miss anything. He played a wide selection of songs that can be seen on youtube, but I have to say that seeing him on youtube can not prepare you for  the energy level experienced seeing him live, my wife and I were blown away (almost literally a few times with that huge speaker in front of us). We found him to be very entertaining with his mannerisms and facial expressions and just his overall mastery of the guitar. He seemed to be a very humble everyday kind of person that really enjoys what he does and can't seem to get enough. Stories and humor were definitely part of the show. I could go on but you get my drift.
Anthony and Pam joined him to end the set with some harmonies and some three way guitar mastery and he returned for a solo encore.
As we walked to our car my wife thanked me five times for taking her and said that it was the best show she has ever seen, and we have seen some impressive shows spending as much as $250 a ticket.

It may seem silly but I was impressed that the Royal Oak Music theater did not charge for water. My wife and I had blackened seafood at a local resteraunt before the show and were very thirsty and prepared to pay the usual $4 or $5 for a bottle of water. Parking was a very reasonable $3.

I highly recommend this show to anyone who hasn't seen him.
Roger

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on September 26, 2011, 05:34:58 PM
Well the concert was great as would be expected, we sat on the right side in the second row and had this huge EV speaker about 5 feet from us. First up was Anthony Snape who is another Australian performer who had an excellent voice and played a mean guitar. After several songs he was joined by Grammy nominated singer/songwriter Pam Rose for a few more tunes and then there was a short intermission before the main act.

Tommy entered already shifted into high gear and had people scrambling for their seats, not wanting to miss anything. He played a wide selection of songs that can be seen on youtube, but I have to say that seeing him on youtube can not prepare you for  the energy level experienced seeing him live, my wife and I were blown away (almost literally a few times with that huge speaker in front of us). We found him to be very entertaining with his mannerisms and facial expressions and just his overall mastery of the guitar. He seemed to be a very humble everyday kind of person that really enjoys what he does and can't seem to get enough. Stories and humor were definitely part of the show. I could go on but you get my drift.
Anthony and Pam joined him to end the set with some harmonies and some three way guitar mastery and he returned for a solo encore.
As we walked to our car my wife thanked me five times for taking her and said that it was the best show she has ever seen, and we have seen some impressive shows spending as much as $250 a ticket.

It may seem silly but I was impressed that the Royal Oak Music theater did not charge for water. My wife and I had blackened seafood at a local resteraunt before the show and were very thirsty and prepared to pay the usual $4 or $5 for a bottle of water. Parking was a very reasonable $3.

I highly recommend this show to anyone who hasn't seen him.

Royal Oak Music Theatre - great venue!  I saw Sade's band there many years ago when they had it with cocktail table seating.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on September 26, 2011, 06:28:46 PM
Royal Oak Music Theatre - great venue!  I saw Sade's band there many years ago when they had it with cocktail table seating.
I grew up just a few blocks from there and saw many a movie in the 60's. In the 80's I saw Pat Travers and Jean-Luc Ponte before they removed the theater seats. In 2003 we saw Bruce Hornsby seated in the Balcony, the main floor had a couple cocktail tables with stools but the lower section was open floor and everyone was just crowded around the stage. They change the setup depending on the act (according to their website).
Roger

I have wondered for years if that guy is really "human" ?  :bgrin: :bgrin: :bgrin:
Just because you can doesn't mean you should

Quote from: Bluegrass Phil on December 06, 2011, 02:55:58 AM
I have wondered for years if that guy is really "human" ?  :bgrin: :bgrin: :bgrin:

He is, and it is so much more real seeing him live.
Roger

Just ordered my tickets for Mr. Emmanuel... in May 2012

Any one who hasn't seen him play, I STRONGLY suggest  that you get tickets if he's coming to your town or near enough to attend.

An incredible guitarist and a great showman! worth the fiftyish bucks admission. If anyone here hasn't heard of him... youtube--youtube's a verb now?--some of his videos!

He's playing in Annapolis, MD near me next May - it's already sold out!  :crying:
Rob

Larrivee D-05
Larrivee RS-4 Custom (Arctic White)