Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The old pick-up question... Advice needed!  (Read 1224 times)
BenHermanski

Ignore
« on: September 17, 2011, 07:47:34 PM »

Hey folks,

I know this question has come up dozens of times - I have read them all in this and other forums. Nevertheless, I need a sort of customized advice. Reading all these different opinions confuses me, you know...

I consider playing open stages and coffeehouses as a singer/songwriter, soon. My Larri has no pick-up installed, so I am looking for a pick-up that will fit my needs:

- fit for on stage performance and for demo recordings on my laptop (no need to cut through a band or play on big open air stages, yet)

- single-source (since I cannot afford an L.R. Baggs iMix / Anthem or the K&K dual-source systems, yet)

- no barn-door

- I have a plug-and-play mentality...

I have considered the K&K Pure mini, but since I am a heavy strummer at times, I am worried about overdrive and/or lack in certain frequencies. Are there any of you that have experience regarding this issue?

I have considered other systems in my price range (100 - 150 €). Namely the Schertler Bluestick and the Mi-Si version of the L.R. Baggs Element (cf. http://mi-si.com/products/ -- I like their idea of using a system that does not require battery power). I am not really a fan of piezo-sound, but have a feeling that these two do not sound as piezo-ish as others.

So it comes down to the following doubts:
Will the Pure mini suit my style on stage? (How does it handle feedback?)
Will a piezo sound too quacky on demo recordings and on stage?

Please be aware that I live in Germany and may have different systems available than you guys over the big pond. European products are usually more affordable. 

Thanks in advance for your help!! 

Cheers,
Ben

'10 D-02MH

www.benhermanski.com
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 04:18:30 AM »

Keep it simple the LRBaggs active Ibeam.I have them in 3 of my 5 acoustic.easily mounted to the bridge plate,has a volumn control that is mounted in the soundhole.Clean responce both for live and recording,never had any distotion problems even when drivin hard.Only require's a 9 volt battery.Works nice in acoustic guitar amps and PA's.Did a test drive recording into a Tascam2488 direct to disc I think recorder and playback didn't sound bad thru the pa tonight as we packed up.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
BenHermanski

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 09:43:33 AM »

Thanks for the fast reply!

I have found the iBeam active a bit too trebly and thin as a standalone solution. Especially when compared to the K&K. (Doug Young has done a great job comparing all these pickups on his homepage). Is this any different with the iBeam passive?

Any other opinions?

Cheers,
Ben

'10 D-02MH

www.benhermanski.com
Michael T
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 01:08:39 PM »

Mic when you can, K&K for stage work (use a luthole for really loud situations if you have too, I never had too but have a couple nice ones I show off once in a while) or did when my health permitted. Some leave the luthole in but to me it sounds like socks are in there but they work fine with the K&K with XLR pre.

[attachment deleted by admin]

08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 03:09:05 PM »

The passive I beam needs a pre-amp and I don't believe that you can have a volumn control in the soundhole.As for being to trebly I haven't had that problem.We sound check and eq with no problems.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
BenHermanski

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 03:33:24 PM »

@ unclrob:

Do you have (or know where to find) any soundfiles recorded with a Larrivee (spruce/mahogany) dread with the iBeam?   
I am pretty irresolute between the iBeam and the K&K Pure western (which is about half the price of the iBeam, at least here in Germany).

Cheers,
Ben

'10 D-02MH

www.benhermanski.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: