Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just Picked Up The Bakersfield  (Read 6189 times)
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« on: September 20, 2011, 02:21:26 AM »

Only had about an hour - she fits me very well - luv the body contours. Spent most of the time comparing it to my "52 Hot Rod Reissue.

Will not get into tone right now as the PUPS are obviously different BUT the Bakersfield certainly has far greater resonance, The feel of the neck to me was better - much better in fact. Won't get into the Hardware upgrades on the Bakersfield as they are obvious BUT even the Tuners felt better.

Will spare you all from my poor photography as there are much better Pics around of the Butterscotch then I can ever take but will give you a couple samples along with the TKL Combo Case it came.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 02:23:34 AM »

Couple more of The Case - Nice combination lock TKL Case Made in Canada

[attachment deleted by admin]

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 02:31:26 AM »

Very nice looking.I enjoyed trying one out but to own one is a wonderful thing.Enjoy it there fabulious players.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
randmag

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 02:46:33 AM »

WOW Joyce,   nice guitar

Very nice guitar. I've been seriously considering a Bakersfield as my next purchase ever since getting an RS-4 a few months ago. In fact I've enquired about one already at a local music store in the Peg. They haven't had much luck getting a return call from Larrivee though; it's been about a month. I may try contacting The 12fth Fret to see if they can help me out. How would you compare the Bakersfield with the RS-4 in build quality and playability? I know it's Apples and Oranges but I'd still like your take. I've been eyeing the Tobacco Burst. I bought my RS-4 based on comments made by forum members and I'll most likely acquire a Bakersfield for the same reason (since there isn't one here for me to try out). Enjoy your new guitar. 

Randy

RS-4 Forum V Mini's,
RS-4 Goldtop HB's,
Bakersfield burst,
L03,
Cybercanyon

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 07:54:55 AM »

Very nice guitar!     nice guitar

I would love to get one myself someday.  I am sure you will enjoy it.

Mike

Seek perfection of character!
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!
Refrain from violent deeds!
tulk1

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 11:32:00 AM »

I am SO jealous!! And please, bore us with any details you can!

Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."
J. Hunter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 12:00:00 PM »

It's certainly pretty!

Larrivee L-03R TF
Martin 00-15
Alhambra 7fc
Am. Stand. Telecaster
SMan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 12:34:05 PM »

Enjoy Joyce.  Sounds like a great guitar! 

Steve ....aka the SMan
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 01:33:20 PM »

How would you compare the Bakersfield with the RS-4 in build quality and playability? I know it's Apples and Oranges but I'd still like your take. I've been eyeing the Tobacco Burst. I bought my RS-4 based on comments made by forum members and I'll most likely acquire a Bakersfield for the same reason (since there isn't one here for me to try out).

Hi Randy

Unlike the RS 4 there are ( at least to me ) no suprises with the Bakersfield. If you do not like Tele style guitars do NOT get the Bakersfield as it is truly a very high end Tele. I attempted to objectively compare it to my '52 Reissue ( no slouch of a guitar by anyone's standards) There is no doubt the Bakersfield is remarkably a nicer guitar. Covering the name on the headstock I am certain a Tele player would pick the Bakersfield 100 times out of a 100.

One thing I am changing, today putting on a set of Schaller Strap locks 

Comparing it to the RS 4 as you indicate is apples and oranges almost venturing down the Gibson vs Fender debate.

Personally I believe the RS 4 to be the ultimate guitar I luv the feel, it's finish everything about it. Maybe when I first got it I was somewhat surprised at the RS 4's attention to detail and quality but frankly I have come to expect that now from Matthew LARRIVEE so the Bakersfield will not disappoint in that respect. If however you are a person that doesn't care for Tele's ( hard to believe Uncle I know) then the Bakersfield is not for you Get an RS 4. Being fully aware that tone is difficult to decribe and most mistakenly believe a lot of classic electric such as early Zepplin was generated from a LP where in reality it was a Tele. I must say I always leaned toward the Gibson style camp, that's just me.

On Saturday I am taking the Bakersfield over to an ol time Tele friend of mine who luvs everything Tele I am looking forward to his comments. He is a very accomplished player now in his mid sixties thus has been around going thru many Tele's himself and surely will put the Bakersfield thru it's paces. Should be fun.

Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 04:46:12 PM »

On Saturday I am taking the Bakersfield over to an ol time Tele friend of mine who luvs everything Tele I am looking forward to his comments. He is a very accomplished player now in his mid sixties thus has been around going thru many Tele's himself and surely will put the Bakersfield thru it's paces. Should be fun.

Looking forward to his assessment as well.

And ... seriously ... ONE picture of the guitar, and THREE of the case?  rolleye

We need MORE pictures of the guitar (front close-up, back, etc.)! C'mon!!! 

All guitars are left-handed:
1979 L-19  |  1992 OM-05  |  2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue  |  2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak  |  2016 L-05 Custom
pabloX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 07:41:53 PM »

Mine's coming in about 3 weeks - Mary Kay White with the neck mini-bucker.  This is going to be a loooooong wait, I fear  drool

Larrivee L-03R -- Harmony Parlor -- Larrivee Bakersfield -- NACE M2-7R
hadden
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 08:00:07 PM »

Wow those new Tele style Larrivees sound like they are something else. That guitar looks beyond cool.  Makes me want to go back to the dark side and go electric again.

L-03 Italian Spruce
randmag

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 10:33:48 PM »

Unlike the RS 4 there are ( at least to me ) no suprises with the Bakersfield. If you do not like Tele style guitars do NOT get the Bakersfield as it is truly a very high end Tele.

Personally I believe the RS 4 to be the ultimate guitar I luv the feel, it's finish everything about it. Maybe when I first got it I was somewhat surprised at the RS 4's attention to detail and quality but frankly I have come to expect that now from Matthew LARRIVEE so the Bakersfield will not disappoint in that respect. If however you are a person that doesn't care for Tele's ( hard to believe Uncle I know) then the Bakersfield is not for you Get an RS 4. Being fully aware that tone is difficult to decribe and most mistakenly believe a lot of classic electric such as early Zepplin was generated from a LP where in reality it was a Tele. I must say I always leaned toward the Gibson style camp, that's just me.

Thanks Joyce,

I've actually rented a few tele's from a local music store in the past and have decided that I would like to purchase this style of guitar. I too am completely impressed (almost smitten) with my RS-4. I have a couple other guitars that just don't compare with respect to build quality and playability. Those guitars will be up for sale shortly.

I'll await your friend's review just to see what his reaction is, but I think I'm set on getting the Bakersfield. Thanks again.

Randy 

RS-4 Forum V Mini's,
RS-4 Goldtop HB's,
Bakersfield burst,
L03,
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 02:47:45 AM »

More pics ... PLEASE?!?!?!  gotpics?

All guitars are left-handed:
1979 L-19  |  1992 OM-05  |  2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue  |  2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak  |  2016 L-05 Custom
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 06:38:34 AM »

Hi JOYCEfromNS,

Congratulations on the new Bakersfield. It sounds like you are really enjoying it.

I am happy for you.

ST

caboose

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 01:45:19 PM »

Mr. Joyce,
Congrats!! A more fitting first official Forum member to have one of these in their hands would be hard to find.  Enjoy!!  We know you won't be shy about pictures and impressions.

nice guitar

Cheers,  Dean

'97 Ibanez AW-300
'04 Fender Tele - American Series
'07 Larrivee JCL re-issue
'09 Fender Tele - American Deluxe
'10 Ron Kirn Custom T-Style (Tele)
Southern Guitars

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2011, 12:42:45 AM »

The Bakersfields are built just as well as the RS-4's!!! These have quickly become my favorite guitar!!! The hardware, Finish, Pickups...Everything is great with these!! I've actually just ordered one for myself as these are quite the hot sellers!!! I wanted to keep the first one we got in but it sold!!! But these are great guitars!! Larrivee hit another homerun with the Bakersfield!! They do sound a bit different with than the Fender 52 Ri Teles...Honestly to me they sound a litte more "Bakersfield" than the Fenders....Sorry for the bad pun but think Don Rich/Buck Owens or Pete Anderson/Dwight Yoakam sound!!

www.southernguitars.net
Authorized Larrivee dealer
randmag

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2011, 02:54:29 AM »

I placed my order for a Bakersfield Tobacco Burst with the mini hum-bucker today. I've been looking at a few Fender Tele's at some local stores but my experience with my RS-4 made this an easy decision. Once I get to 10 posts I can post some photos. Now the wait. 

Randy

RS-4 Forum V Mini's,
RS-4 Goldtop HB's,
Bakersfield burst,
L03,
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2011, 10:33:45 AM »

I placed my order for a Bakersfield Tobacco Burst with the mini hum-bucker today. I've been looking at a few Fender Tele's at some local stores but my experience with my RS-4 made this an easy decision. Once I get to 10 posts I can post some photos.

Randy you will be most happy that you did. Look forward to your Pics

JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 02:16:27 AM »

I had a swell time on Saturday with my 66 yr old Tele Friend when he came over. Immediately he picked it up and felt it all over ohmy

Playing it 1st unplugged - this is a real nice nice guitar here. Favored the body contours and simply luved the neck 

We then plugged her into the Super Reverb and made it sing  bigrin

We of course played my 52RI which is also a pretty nice guitar blush

It was obvious that the Bakersfield was more than it's equal to everything BUT the name on the headstock. So I says near the end of our day if you could only have one guitar for the rest of your days which one would it be:

"Well Andrew as you know I am a real Fenderhead and I just don't know Larrivee I luv everything about the guitar but I have an emotional connection to Fender I don't know why, I just do I have been playing them since 1958 I'm taking the Fender"

I was a little surprised as the Bakersfield look, feel and playability was we both agreed to be superior but I was not overly surprised by experiencing this numerous times with Gibby players and the RS 4.

Now I will qualify this by saying this is only a full blown market study of just one guy ( tho certainly a player that could stand on a stage with anyone IMO) This in my opinion Friends is certainly the obstacle that Larrivee must cross. How with a superior instrument do you break thru that emotional commitment that many guitar players have to a name on the headstock. IMO the only real way is thru a marketing endorsement program and that Friends is not a decision that bares no risk.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: