UMGF --what happened?

Started by DJ in FL, August 13, 2011, 08:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Excuse my question about another forum, but I know this is a learned group who always have insight...so my question is
if you have signed on the UMGF (unofficial Martin Guitar Forum) in the last week or so, you see the old forum and all its history is GONE!

Seems the old owner of domain got in a legal beef and simply ended up taking it back???  There are a few posts about explanation, but none of it made sense to me.

So what happened??      :?
:?
:?

Thanks for the insights.
Larrivee 000-60
Martin 000-28 VS
Guild Mark II
Alvarez Yairi CY 127 CE
Alvarez Yairi CY 140 CE
Two cats who like my playing

I noodled around and found this Facebook page. Scrolling down I found the original (and founding) domain name owner's explanation.

Norman
Larrivee LSV-11E, LV-10E, Limited Edition D-03 IS/MH
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 bass, Ovation 12-string
{GASSING for RS-4}

UMGF.org = the one you have known for the last decade
UMGF.com = the new one started by Steve

I visit both of them..

d

Thanks D...guess I would have seen that difference sooner or later, but I had just been surprised with the change...not keeping up with the politics I guess.
Glad we don't have that over here.

:thumbsup
Larrivee 000-60
Martin 000-28 VS
Guild Mark II
Alvarez Yairi CY 127 CE
Alvarez Yairi CY 140 CE
Two cats who like my playing

Quote from: DJ in FL on August 17, 2011, 11:03:02 AM
Thanks D...guess I would have seen that difference sooner or later, but I had just been surprised with the change...not keeping up with the politics I guess.
Glad we don't have that over here.

We can never be sure. Anything can happen! To wit: The old Breedlove Forum owner had some personal problems and dumped everything. That is truly unfortunate.

f
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Martin's mods provide a detailed explanation as to what happened for those who are interested. Sounds like a rational, reasonable explanation to me as a casual observer.

While I have visited other forums, Larrivee and Martin are the only two forums I belong to because the administrators at both sites do a great job and are to be commended for their efforts.

Does anyone know if the new site is still up? I can't find it anywhere. (both umgf.com and umgf.org point to the original yuki site). Just curious.

I access the UMGF here: http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/

Until reading the post above,  I had no idea it used the url umgf.com ... OK - where's the forehead smack emoticon?

Some time ago, it turned into the Uninteresting Martin Guitar Forum for me.

Ed

Quote from: eded on September 18, 2011, 01:26:05 PM
Some time ago, it turned into the Uninteresting Martin Guitar Forum for me.

Ed

here here
ME
Gibson J-185 (2002)