Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RS-4/RS-2 resale values  (Read 2517 times)
bigonpig

Ignore
« on: September 07, 2011, 02:48:38 AM »

Only an acoustic player so far but intrigued by electrics. I've been shopping around for a RS-4 or RS-2 and it seems like their used (and sometimes even new) prices are quite a bit lower than those of Gibsons or Fenders. I know Larrivee electrics aren't as well known as others but does that account for the lower selling prices?  I've read where some people complain about their looks (which I don't agree with!) but no one disses their sound or playability. Thoughts from electric, and especially Larrivee electric, players?

LS-03MT Island Edition
RS-2
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 02:57:31 AM »

Having played the RS4,RS2 with P90's and the new Bakersfield.Its the name and if you  and I've played Gibson and Fenders of all vintage and the Larrivee's sound better,play better and with the exception of the bakersfield looking like a tele and a darn good looking one at that these are without a doubt much better feeling and looking tools I've ever held.So stop listening to them and play them in front of a mirror you'll be suprized!

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 03:48:34 AM »

Thoughts from electric, and especially Larrivee electric, players?

OMG Friend we were trying to keep the Larrivee Electrics secret  

You are familiar with the quality of the Larrivee Acoustic, simply IMHO the Larrivee Electric has raised the bar further. Matthew LARRIVEE will be everything and more to Electric Guitars as his father was/is to Acoustic. It has boutique craftmanship what we expect from the Custom Shop of the Big Electric names, it's hardware and components inside that you can't see are argueably the VERY best.

Friend I have SG's Les Pauls, Firebird, ES 335,  Fender Custom Shops, Rickenbacker if I could only have one guitar without a doubt I would hang on to the RS 4 would just have to decide which one  blush. They really are that good. Now what's their drawback???
Well it has Larrivee on the headstock and that is a disconnect for many especially those relatively new to the electric scene. Also its unlikely you will open up a gloss magazine and see one let alone seeing Pagey or Slash standin there with one in their grasp. Lastly they can sometimes be difficult to find as many dealers are not carrying them I sometimes feel that the strong acoustic background of Larrivee is somehow the Electrics Achillis Heel
Am I a Fanboy   Can't understand why everyone isn't

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 05:55:18 AM »

JOYCEfromNS covered it pretty well...

...it all boils down to name brand recognition, and what do most player's heroes play? Gibson and Fender (with a few other brands thrown in: Gretsch, Guild, Ric's). Most of these companies have at LEAST a 50 year history behind them, making them quite popular. Today is a second "golden age: for most of these companies, at least compared to the '70's/early '80's...they are so much better than they were...

...and there are so many versions of Les Paul's and Strats and Teles out there today! Larrivee is really a very small player in the market, and simply the supply and demand side of it keeps Fender and Gibson used prices high, while many other companies depreciate badly once they leave the store (even though this may say NOTHING about their quality).

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
bigonpig

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 04:46:51 PM »

That's what I was thinking--thanks for the input.  Doesn't seem like many of these come up for sale in the used market (eBay or this forum either) but I did see the recent listing here for a sunburst RS-4. Like many people I don't have a nearby store that sells them so if I decide to buy I'll likely go in with no playing experience. Of course, that worked out quite well with my LS-03MT!

LS-03MT Island Edition
RS-2
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 09:29:30 PM »

Doesn't seem like many of these come up for sale in the used market (eBay or this forum either)

SEE THIS ONE that just came up on Ebay you might want to look closely at  drool

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
tulk1

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 10:11:15 PM »

I bought both of my RS's used. The RS4 was right about where I'd expect that guitar to resell at. The RS2 -- not sure why I got such a steal on it. Just glad I did. Altho' I prefer the RS4, my band mates insist on the RS2 - and we're a country band!

As for the resale values, we see the same thing with the Heritage guitars. Much better build, got that boutique thing going on without the boutique prices and are just a better value all around than the stock, off the shelf big name brands. But yet, they don't get the world-wide name recognition. So, they don't get the world-wide resell recognition. Same tends to go for G&L, as well. 

Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."
bigonpig

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 03:29:20 PM »

SEE THIS ONE that just came up on Ebay you might want to look closely at  drool

I did look at that one...wow! Seems like a very good price too. Anyone have experience with this seller? I read some other posts were he was speculated to be a Larrivee employee selling "seconds".

LS-03MT Island Edition
RS-2
bigonpig

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 10:01:16 PM »

Altho' I prefer the RS4, my band mates insist on the RS2 - and we're a country band!

Hey Tulk, what do your band mates like specifically about the RS-2 vs. the RS-4? And why do you prefer the -4? Thanks! 

LS-03MT Island Edition
RS-2
tulk1

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 11:09:18 PM »

Hey Tulk, what do your band mates like specifically about the RS-2 vs. the RS-4? And why do you prefer the -4? Thanks! 
I think the RS4 is a much more refined sound than my RS2. Perhaps the covers on the pups tame a bit of the raw sound. And it's just so darned pretty!! But aesthetics aside, the RS2, plain white flat top, has a punchier tone than the RS4. Cuts thru the mix better. And seems to respond to vol control changes better. Played side by side I've had similar reactions from different people to the guitars: RS4 - wow, that sounds awesome. RS2 - wow, that is hot and nasty. <lol>

As for the band mates it's a similar reaction. The drummer says he can hear the RS2 better. And Tracy, the singer, says she thinks the sound of the RS2 fits better in the music we play.

Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 12:12:43 AM »

I did look at that one...wow! Seems like a very good price too. Anyone have experience with this seller?

Purchased two guitars from this seller, couldn't be better, as described perfect shipping.

bigonpig

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 02:38:10 AM »

I think the RS4 is a much more refined sound than my RS2. Perhaps the covers on the pups tame a bit of the raw sound. And it's just so darned pretty!! But aesthetics aside, the RS2, plain white flat top, has a punchier tone than the RS4. Cuts thru the mix better. And seems to respond to vol control changes better. Played side by side I've had similar reactions from different people to the guitars: RS4 - wow, that sounds awesome. RS2 - wow, that is hot and nasty. <lol>

Great description of the sound from the 2 guitars. Do you have P90's or humbuckers on the RS-2? From the description I would guess P90's...

LS-03MT Island Edition
RS-2
bigonpig

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 02:41:54 AM »

Purchased two guitars from this seller, couldn't be better, as described perfect shipping.
Thanks for the info. Just not sure if I can justify much of a guitar right now...but I'm trying!

LS-03MT Island Edition
RS-2
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 02:05:41 PM »

Great description of the sound from the 2 guitars. Do you have P90's or humbuckers on the RS-2? From the description I would guess P90's...

His white RS-2 has humbuckers - there are some pics of it in some other posts here (somewhere...I'm too lazy to look them up!).

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
tulk1

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 02:21:39 PM »

His white RS-2 has humbuckers - there are some pics of it in some other posts here (somewhere...I'm too lazy to look them up!).
The Rev knows of what he speaks. 

Kenny

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: