Car Collision/larrivee Riding

Started by 12barBill, December 09, 2004, 01:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

While driving to work this morning, with my Larrivee riding shotgun in the front passenger seat (guitar lesson at lunch), someone smashed into the back of me and knocked me into the car in front of me. It was a pretty good lick. I'm getting stiff and my neck is bothering me. After police report,etc. I was able to drive on to work. Got in the office and checked my guitar - no visible damage. I was pretty shook up so I didn't play it. Got to my guitar lesson (not feeling real good at this point) and I swear my guitar sounds different. Notes seem dead and the first and second strings sound "splatty." Second string, first fret - that C note goes "splatt."

No visible damage. Shake the guitar and no rattles.

Am I suffering from "rear end collision hearing loss/ anxiety." I'm kind of shaken up. Could something have happened to my guitar. What gives?

I may be headed to the doctor in a little while.  

QuoteWhile driving to work this morning, with my Larrivee riding shotgun in the front passenger seat (guitar lesson at lunch), someone smashed into the back of me and knocked me into the car in front of me. It was a pretty good lick. I'm getting stiff and my neck is bothering me. After police report,etc. I was able to drive on to work. Got in the office and checked my guitar - no visible damage. I was pretty shook up so I didn't play it. Got to my guitar lesson (not feeling real good at this point) and I swear my guitar sounds different. Notes seem dead and the first and second strings sound "splatty." Second string, first fret - that C note goes "splatt."

No visible damage. Shake the guitar and no rattles.

Am I suffering from "rear end collision hearing loss/ anxiety." I'm kind of shaken up. Could something have happened to my guitar. What gives?

I may be headed to the doctor in a little while.
WOw! I am sorry about the accident. I hope you do go toa doctor. It seems like you're worried about the guitar more than your self. I really hope you and your guitar is OK.

you absolutely should head to the doctor, ASAP. You need to document ASAP that you are feeling ill effects... for insurance purposes.

I refused treatment after getting rear-ended a few years ago, and it was only several days later that I began to have pretty serious back pain....
Rob 

Larrivee OM-03R
Art & Lutherie Cedar/cherry Parlor (the best 200-dollar guitars in the world, made in Canada by real guitar craftspeople) :-)
Click to Read About Art & Lutherie Guitars
Peavey Generation EXP

Bill sorry to about the accident.If you don't have a tech local send her on down I'd be happy to check it out for you.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Thanks Rob.

Doctor can't see me until tomorrow.  

I put this in the guitar section because I'm wondering if a severe jolt like that, with the guitar in it's case, could have caused some hard to detect damage. Or is it just dain bramage?

Hope you get to feeling better.  There's going to be some stiffness with just about any accident, but you should definitely get checked out.
Bing

Larrivee J-09FM
Taylor 814ce
Music Man Axis SS w/piezo

Sometimes a good jolt can pop a nut or even cause a string to dig in a nut forther and sometimes it might loosen a fret that was't fully seeded or caused the string to dent a fret.Sometimes it's as simple as the string at the ball end loosen from its position.Let us know what you discover....
By the way a really hot bath and a shot or two  tonite can do wonders,I also find sleeping on a hard surface helps.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

could the crash have pushed the nut or saddle down so the strings are way too low?

Bill,

You are living the nightmare that flashes in my mind's eye each time Larry goes for a ride; particularly when I have to load him into the rear-end of the minivan (no other room, wife and 4 kids).  You've already heard from the others that your physical pain won't completely manifest itself for days.

Sounds like Larry needs to see the doctor as well.

I've prayed for a full recovery for both you, your car and Larry, for what it's worth to you.

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Scott, all I can say is, "I humbly thank you." Your prayers are worth more than anything else to me.

So how do you tell a real guitar lover?   He gets in a car wreck and worries mostly about his guitar!

Dan
(whos the exact same way)
Larrivee LS-10 (sold)
Larrivee parlors - satin mahog. / FQMS Special Koa / FQMS Special Braz.
Everett Laurel Dread
Martin 000-28ECB (sold)
Kopp  419 cutaway
Kopp Betty Swing #1  (sold)
Kopp 000-18 style

Quoteyou absolutely should head to the doctor, ASAP. You need to document ASAP that you are feeling ill effects... for insurance purposes.

I refused treatment after getting rear-ended a few years ago, and it was only several days later that I began to have pretty serious back pain....
12barBill, sorry as well to hear about the accident. Not to be too serious (see my earlier silly post), but I second what sublro said. I'd suggest seeing a doctor and a chiropractor. And talking to a lawyer would be smart too.

You should be able to recover the cost of your care, and some of that is unknown now. My family was hit three years ago Thanksgivging Day, and though no "major" injuries, my bell was rung so hard I had many side effects, some of which appeared months later. Trying to keep everything together, take care of others, I ignored my problems, and wasn't able to recover all the damage.

Here's hoping your mind, your hearing and your guitar are all in good shape soon.

Cheers. Dan

-Dan, Albaturkey, Nuevo Mejico

Larrivee L-01 'Lo1s'
Martin OM-28V
Trump CS 7S 'Donald'
Yamaha G-231ii

Adding my prayers for your complete recovery. Take it easy, and take care of yourself! Let us know what the doctor says. We're concerned.

My husband laughs but I buckle my guitar in when I carry it in the front seat.

Deb
Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R

Bill,
Get well soon. The Larrivee can be repaired buddy, but what good will it do you if you can't play it. Get to that Dr. ASAP. OK, scolding over!

Bill,
Another vote for "go to get checked"--
My family and I were in an accident 5 yrs. ago; kids were fine, wife had to go on a backboard S.O.P. for whiplash, I was hit in the face with the airbag and thought I was fine--and nobody else (police, parameds) checked me.  Two days later I collapsed with a culminating concussion and was dizzy for three days.  Definitely see the chiro for a tweeking  :)
(Now I dont know if I like those airbags--but I guess it stopped me from kissing the windshield.)

Bill count me in to just said a pray for ya and the Larrivee to.

Ditto here on the prayers.

QuoteSo how do you tell a real guitar lover? He gets in a car wreck and worries mostly about his guitar!

My wife stumbled and fell in my closet the other day.  This is where I keep my guitars.  She was pretty peaved when I asked if the guitars were ok before I asked if she was ok.  Pretty stupid of me, huh??  :ph34r:  
Jerry  #698

2001 Larrivee D-09
2001 Seagull M-6
1992 Alvarez 5040
c. 1995 Yamaha CG-150CA
1998 A&L Ami

QuoteDitto here on the prayers.

QuoteSo how do you tell a real guitar lover? He gets in a car wreck and worries mostly about his guitar!

My wife stumbled and fell in my closet the other day.  This is where I keep my guitars.  She was pretty peaved when I asked if the guitars were ok before I asked if she was ok.  Pretty stupid of me, huh??  :ph34r:
Definitely not a wise thing to do!

However, tell her you were asking because they couldn't cry out in pain and she could. On second thought, better let sleeping do ... noooooh! Do not go there!  
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

Sorry to hear of your accident.  i can imagine if you got a neck injury as a result of the incident, your guitar could also have suffered some sort of damage due to the sudden impact even though it may not be visible.
i hope you get better soon.
B)  

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor

12bar,

How are you feeling today? OK I hope.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519