Question about nut width on Larrivees

Started by 1591rmb, September 03, 2011, 09:40:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

My OM-03R has a 1.75" nut width, as most of you probably know. However, it certainly feels wider than some other instruments with the same nut width. Two questions about that:
1) What accounts for the Larrivee feeling wider ... string spacing?
2) Do the 1 11/16" Larrivees (dreadnoughts, for example) also feel wider than similar width instruments in other lines such as Martin, Blueridge, etc.

Thanks for the input.

RB

Just a thought, but what you may be sensing the relatively flat fretboard radius of Larrivees compared to Martins and Taylors. I happen to like that feel, hence my recent joining of the Larrivee club.

JD

I'll add that Larrivee  neck profiles are a tad thinner and flatter than others
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Thanks, guys. You may be exactly right.

I have learned that neck profile is a determining factor in the feel of a neck. I owned a dred with what was described as "vintage profile." I guess that means "feels like a baseball bat." I finally sold it. It actually made my hand sore after extended playing ... perhaps because I catch a lot of bass notes with my thumb.

RB

Quote from: 1591rmb on September 03, 2011, 09:40:24 AM

2) Do the 1 11/16" Larrivees (dreadnoughts, for example) also feel wider than similar width instruments in other lines such as Martin, Blueridge, etc.

Can't comment on the Larrivee but string spacing is not the same on all 1 11/16" nuts.  My Tak string spacing is about 1/16" narrower than a Martin dread even though both had 1 11/16" advertised nuts (and the Tak feels cramped to me).  And it is 2/16" narrower than my Gibson with 1 3/4" nut.