amps

Started by Randy_R, September 02, 2011, 01:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

not a tube amp, but what do you think of this Fender on sale at GC now.

I'm thinking (again) of didling with an electric.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Frontman-212R-FSR-Limited-Edition-Red-100W-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-106728397-i1947990.gc

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Quote from: Randy_R on September 02, 2011, 01:21:28 PM
not a tube amp, but what do you think of this Fender on sale at GC now.

I'm thinking (again) of didling with an electric.

Pretty BUT sold out  :?
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on September 02, 2011, 01:57:26 PM
Pretty BUT sold out  :?

It said in-stock at 2 of the Atlanta stores 30 minutes ago. (also available in black which I would probably prefer)

Black factory-refurb with 5 year warranty is $249
Randy R., Georgia, USA

Nice enough amps BUT its has 75-80 watts more power then most would use.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on September 02, 2011, 02:04:58 PM

Very True Here is what I am GASING for right now

[attachment deleted by admin]
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: unclrob on September 02, 2011, 02:04:58 PM

I sold a 200 watt Kustom head with two Fender  2x12 big jensen cabs when I moved out of Austin.  :crying:
Randy R., Georgia, USA

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on September 02, 2011, 02:14:54 PM
Very True Here is what I am GASING for right now

what is it. I've been away from amps for a long time...
Randy R., Georgia, USA

Never was a fan of the Fender Frontman amps. Never heard a good one. But that CARR looks kinda interesting.
Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."

great clean sound and good reverb and tremelo but not the best overdrive sound....nice colour !!!
2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric

Quote from: Randy_R on September 02, 2011, 03:34:04 PM
what is it. I've been away from amps for a long time...

That amp posted by JOYCEfromNS is a Carr Mercury, I believe. It's a small tube amp, but with a 12" (or smaller version with 10") speaker, 8w switchable down to 1/2 watt.

I have it's big brother, a Carr Rambler 2x10. It's based on a Fender Deluxe Reverb, but has 28w switchable down to 14w, reverb, tremolo, and, unlike the DR, it has a middle tone control, making it a very versatile amp.

Steve Carr and his crew build these by hand in North Carolina. More info at their website: http://www.carramps.com/

Here's some shots of mine:

[attachment deleted by admin]
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on September 03, 2011, 11:49:00 AM
That amp posted by JOYCEfromNS is a Carr Mercury, I believe. It's a small tube amp, but with a 12" (or smaller version with 10") speaker, 8w switchable down to 1/2 watt.

It is indeed. Don't let the size fool you, it's small but very, very mighty and versatile for a very small setting or practicing at home. Just as important as a guitar purchase one MUST consider an Amps intended uses. Most large amps are not that good in a small setting as you really must up the volume to get the tone you are chasing and then end up splitting most everyone's eardrums by doing so.  If you are looking to play a venue larger than medium size you might want to go bigger than my suggestion BUT anything smaller this little bomb will do very nicely without giving you a hernia lugging it to and from.

Sorry for the delayed response as have been away from the Internet a couple of days.

The other con to my suggestion is they are not cheap for an Amp. Keep us posted on what you intend to use it for and ultimately what you decide.

ouch. they are pricey.

Main use is probably just practicing in my basement. Although having one large enough to use in an outdoor venue or  as a PA has come to mind.

I'll downsize my expectations. Maybe a small used Marshall until I get a better feel for what I really need.
Randy R., Georgia, USA

Quote from: Randy_R on September 04, 2011, 04:54:13 PM
ouch. they are pricey.

Main use is probably just practicing in my basement. Although having one large enough to use in an outdoor venue or  as a PA has come to mind.

I'll downsize my expectations. Maybe a small used Marshall until I get a better feel for what I really need.

For what you just mentioned, I'd suggest looking for a used Peavey Classic 30 or a used Fender Blues Jr. - both can be found used for around $300-350, and both sound great stock, but can also be upgraded (over time, as you decide what kinds of tones you're chasing).

Fender also makes the two small models - 15 watt and 5 watt - that have the old Vibro Champ (and "Super Champ") name in them - these are very versatile and easy to move around. Both can be had new for under $300, I think. Lots of folks also like the new Fender Mustang amps, which have some effects built in, and also under $300 for the size you need.

BIG  :+1: Mikey
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: Randy_R on September 02, 2011, 01:58:58 PM
It said in-stock at 2 of the Atlanta stores 30 minutes ago. (also available in black which I would probably prefer)

Black factory-refurb with 5 year warranty is $249

I was going to say nice except the color.   :bgrin:
Steve ....aka the SMan

Actually I dig the Tolex.  It just has the wrong grill cloth  :whistling:.

This is my Blues Jr. III, which is what I would recommend for your situation.  You can get a wide range of tones from the thing.  I also put a CMATMODS Brownie pedal in front of it to get some nice Marshall-y OD tones.  Buy used and not a lot of bread will get you some seriously fine tone at basement levels.

How do you make God laugh?  Tell Him your plans.

Another vote for the Blues Junior, great tone at low volume levels. Mine is the tweed version. I use a variety of pedals for od / dirt tones and it likes them all.

Gratuitous photo

The guitar is a Heritage 535 modded with Duncan P-Rails btw.

That's a pretty cool idea: P-Rails in a 535...  :nice guitar:

Quote from: SouthpawGuy on September 07, 2011, 06:24:00 AM
Gratuitous photo

The guitar is a Heritage 535 modded with Duncan P-Rails btw.

Luv the 535 Friend  :bowdown:

I'll admit to having wanted a 535 once upon a time.

So, will a hollow body be the next Larrivee project now that they have a T-bone?

Randy R., Georgia, USA