UPS

Started by superdave, August 30, 2011, 08:15:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UPS delivered my very damaged shipping carton with my new L-03MT in it. The guitar appears find even though it appears they sprung the case latches. My only concern even though I see no physical damage to the guitar "right now" is whether this may have some down the road effects on the guitar such as shock to the neck attachment point or ?
Thanks, Dave
Morgan OMM
Bart Reiter Tubaphone openback banjo
Scherl & Roth German Fiddle
Ramsey Fairbanks Electric Banjo
Eastman 503 Archtop

If the latches were sprung, then they put some major pressure on the case.

I wouldn't accept it.

That's just my opinion.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: superdave on August 30, 2011, 08:15:15 AM
UPS delivered my very damaged shipping carton with my new L-03MT in it. The guitar appears find even though it appears they sprung the case latches. My only concern even though I see no physical damage to the guitar "right now" is whether this may have some down the road effects on the guitar such as shock to the neck attachment point or ?
Thanks, Dave

I'd let the seller know. I'd take some good pictures of box and sprung (maybe too late) case.

I think the things to check are for finish cracks and looseness around all seams and particularly at the fretboard extension and heel of the neck. More difficult to check would be cracked bracing, I'd consider using a dental mirror to look at those.

An insurance claim might be difficult unless you can specifically point to something damaged.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

The real sad part about this is I really like this guitar. I think the special appointments make this a very special guitar, besides the all mahogany construction. I contacted the dealer and they said they would work with me any way they can.
Thanks, Dave
Morgan OMM
Eastman 503 Archtop

Don't know how they could "spring" the case latches.  Sounds more like someone opened it to see if there was damage.

Quote from: Walkerman on August 30, 2011, 09:52:18 AM
Don't know how they could "spring" the case latches.  Sounds more like someone opened it to see if there was damage.

This too went thru my mind, any pics of the "sprung" case
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I would do some tap testing on the back and top too. Mute the strings and tap on the guitar to listen for cracked or loose braces. Be careful with your fingernails when tapping.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

I have been looking the guitar over everyday so far and playing it waiting to hear from the store where I bought it, (their waiting to hear from their UPS rep.) and it looks and sounds great. The longer I wait the more I'm bonding with this very special guitar. The dealer said they want it back to inspect even if I keep it. Just seems a shame to put it thru the same thing all over again. As far as the sprung case goes I was able to twist the top of the case so the latches would line back up. The case I'm not worried about. All I know is every banjo that I had delivered with the shipping carton looking like this had a crack or fracture somewhere. Like I said the guitar looks and sounds great, I'm just not a guitar tech.
Thanks, Dave
Morgan OMM
Eastman 503 Archtop

Quote from: superdave on September 01, 2011, 04:28:15 AM
I'm just not a guitar tech.
Thanks, Dave

Dave Take it to one you trust to look at the parts you can't see if your comfort level in doing this is low and the anxiety level caused by the shipping package is high. In all likelihood the tech will inspect it for you for nothing
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on September 01, 2011, 06:06:21 AM
Dave Take it to one you trust to look at the parts you can't see if your comfort level in doing this is low and the anxiety level caused by the shipping package is high. In all likelihood the tech will inspect it for you for nothing

Great idea

That's just what I'm going to do. I called my tech and he said sure no problem, and I figured I might as well get the truss rod on my OM-03 adjusted while I'm there too. The guitar is just way too cool to not try and hang on to because of a shipping mishap. Thanks for all the advise.
Dave
Morgan OMM
Eastman 503 Archtop

OK happy ending here. I just back from Elderly and the repair dept. pronounced my new L=03MT as good as new, which it is aside from a horrible ride complements of UPS. I am so relieved since I don't know when or if I would have found another one soon. AS soon as I figure out how to get pics. posted here I will put some up. I have a mac and it keeps telling me my pics are to large ?
Thanks Dave
Morgan OMM
Eastman 503 Archtop

Congratulations on a happy ending.

Based on a personal (non-guitar) shipping experience with UPS, I will never use them again nor will I accept a package that is received from them in damaged condition. 

The "only" reason I accepted it was because of what was in it. A mt Larrivee. If it had been any other std. model I would have sent it right back.
Thanks, Dave
Morgan OMM
Eastman 503 Archtop

Quote from: teh on September 02, 2011, 06:36:19 PM
Congratulations on a happy ending.

Based on a personal (non-guitar) shipping experience with UPS, I will never use them again nor will I accept a package that is received from them in damaged condition. 

What are the ramifications of not accepting a package?  What happens to the package, the sales agreement etc.

Quote from: superdave on September 02, 2011, 11:29:37 PM
The "only" reason I accepted it was because of what was in it. A mt Larrivee. If it had been any other std. model I would have sent it right back.
Thanks, Dave
I can totally identify with why you kept it.  "Here it is, finally, the guitar of my dreams that I've been waiting forever for, and now I'm going to send it back??  No way.  I'll deal with it later"
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Yep is a very nice and special guitar. I will enjoying hearing it improve with age.
Thanks, Dave
P/S I could not get pics. uploaded here, but there are some great pics. of it on Andys Guitars web. site. I gut lucky just in finding it one day when I googled Larrivee L-03MT.
Morgan OMM
Eastman 503 Archtop