Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Straps for guitars without end pins or strap buttons  (Read 891 times)
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: August 17, 2011, 12:27:45 PM »

Spun off from

How can you support local music shops anymore?
There are a couple of local guitar shops that I visit from time to time.

Recently I was in the neighbourhood of one of those shops and remembered that I was thinking about one of these.. (Goofy I know)

-= click the picture to see all the details =-

As for the strap. To what purpose?    

Everything that JOYCEfromNS said below.

Balance an aleviate the weight I suppose for those bordering overuse/stress injuries AND no strap pins needed. Soo ST You Like

I had made something out of two of these Levys Clasical Guitar Strap

I was trying to avoid the "moment's inattention leading to a lifetime of regret" issue with a single hook approach. Basically -you have to keep a hand on the guitar or an elbow on the lower bout or else the guitar is going to flip forward onto the floor.  In my home-made approach I added another hook from the top.  And then I found that Neotech already had one.

Do I like it?
It's okay - comfort wise. The balance is alright. It feels weightless. The guitar feels weightless too.  It can still tip if the guitar is neck heavy, but it won't end up on the floor.

But the big win, is that I can use the upper strap as a point to clip on a mini-condenser microphone on a thing goose neck. I'm experimenting with that, but it seems to work pretty well.

Well, just gotta say ... silliest thing I've seen in a while.  

It pretty much disappears if you wear a black shirt and use it with a black guitar.

Looks like a bustenhalter...or, as Benny Hill used to call it...a "keepemfromfloppinstoppin."

I have a whole new appreciation for the discomfort of those so encumbered.

ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 12:33:38 PM »

I'd like to try one of these at some point.

http://www.flyingpossum.com/images/FlyingPossumLeather.html

ducktrapper
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 03:21:58 PM »

Well, who knew they could make leather outta possums? Is it only the flying kind that you can tan?
unclrob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 08:29:03 PM »

I would try one if I still played standing up.Anything that would make it easier and more comfortable.

A REPAIRPERSON
LS10,OM03PA
Favorite saying OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity***Eat The Rich***
see Keith and Barefoot Rob on Facebook
email me for mp3 demo's of the duo
Back up to 12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may be able to help
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 09:26:02 PM »

I can't find a price or an email address for that flying possum leather (Walker's strap) anywhere on their website.

Guess I'll have to drop a dime and make a long distance phone call tomorrow.

Or maybe not.

It looks like it's all good if you keep the guitar well down in its' little leather sling snuggie thing. But sometimes I hike up the guitar a little as I'm working up the neck.  With that Neotech guitar system, it's just a matter of lifting the neck a little and the angle changes. That's fine. It's also fine when I have a guitar with a strap pin on the heel (with a strap lock).  It gets sloppy when I do it with the strap tied at the headstock. I have had the strap slip off my shoulder doing this and things get awkward very fast.

Maybe this sling thing will be a problem too.

Hard to tell from the pictures, but it does look like a lovely strap all the same.

ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 09:00:06 AM »

Had a long talk with Robert this morning

at http://www.flyingpossum.com/images/FlyingPossumLeather.html

His email if you want to inquire about the Walker straps is robert at flyingpossum.com  - He gave me permission to post that here.

You can find them on
facebook here: http://www.facebook.com/walkersstrap
myspace her: http://www.myspace.com/walkerstraps

He said that the Walker Strap would be fine with guitars with a cutaway.

All the pictures show people with the guitars hanging a lot lower than I wear mine. 

Thinking about it.

ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 09:20:08 AM »

I'd like to try one of these at some point.

http://www.flyingpossum.com/images/FlyingPossumLeather.html

How do you spell catastrophy? That just LOOKS like an accident waiting to happen. Of course, I'm not fond of Larrivees end pin either but at least you can modify a strap to make it work better.

As far as I'm concerned if the end pin isn't there (and doesn't have a hole for it) the guitar is meant to be played sitting down. Can you imagine Andre Segovia doing back up for The New Christy Minstrels? 

f

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners
Collings OM2Hc
Santa Cruz OM
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: