Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ruby Tubes Day  (Read 1700 times)
abalone at last

Ignore
« on: August 13, 2011, 04:48:34 PM »

My 67 Bassman head was sounding a bit dull...despite adding a new 2X12 cab with celestion 35's...so I finally replaced the well used and aged power tubes with a matched pair of Ruby Tubes 6L6gc's. Have to say these bargain priced tubes sounded awesome. At half the price of Groove Tubes i am real happy...hopefully longevity won't be an issue ..but they look well made and kicked butt for the first four hour practice with volume levels up to 5!!

Anybody else have an amp or tube brand that they feel deserves a shout out? 

2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 05:09:15 PM »

I prefer the Russian tube's like JJ's and Sovtek.I never pay for matched tube's because I found in the ling run its just not that important.I have them in my Princeton and my Champ 12.I also look at it this way Leo Fender bought in bulk nothin matched and evryone wants that old 50's and 60's tone and those tube's weren't matched.I'm not much of a fan of the Ruby's but if they work for you thats way cool.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 06:53:27 PM »

I re-tubed my Fender Blues Deluxe re-issue with ruby tubes a couple of years ago.   I forgot what the originals were but the ruby tubes were a definite improvement
bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 08:44:22 PM »

After I got my first tube amp (a Blackstar 5 watter) I found this website for the Tube Store very helpful in discussing different brands and types:

http://thetubestore.com/

If it sounds good, it is good.

abalone at last

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 02:22:10 AM »

That is a good website Bear...my next thing I'm going to dabble in is cables. I use a Boss multi peddle(old school) and i want to keep refining my rig to get it consistantly sounding great...a crappy cable can really put a damper on things...I might try the PRS cables but I'll see what else is out there too..your website lists solid cables....never heard of those before..150 donuts for a cable...ouch.....

2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 02:48:33 AM »

Bill Lawrence sells some good cable material and 10 plugs so that you can make your own cables any length you want. No soldering involved. I've had mine for 6 or 8 years with no problems whatsoever. I think a "kit" of 50' of wire and 10 plugs costs around $65-75...pretty reasonable for some very inexpensive cables. I also made several short ones for my pedals. And they offer both straight and "elbow" plugs.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
lkjjr

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 11:55:52 PM »

Kinda' late to the party on this one, but my $.02 worth...

A few months back I got an Egnater Tweaker, which had some Ruby 6v6's.  Sounded great, but I got a bit intrigued by some boards where other owners were talking about "rolling" some vintage tubes, and thought I'd give it a try.

Now I use this head thru a 2x10 cab, and mostly with a G&L ASAT, but can play my LV05e through it to beautiful effect too.  The first tubes I tried were some 60's vintage (not NOS, just "vintage") RCA 6V6 GT's that I got off "the bay" for about 20 bucks for the pair.  They warmed the sound noticeably and added a bit of creaminess too.  Much sweeter!

I enjoyed the whole experience of "shopping the deals" and bidding when I thought I'd found a good bargain.  As time passed, I got intrigued by the ideas of using the some 5881's instead of 6V6s.  Did "the dance" again and found a great bargain on some vintage Tung Sol  5881s for not much more than the RCAs that are the current "power" tubes.

Not sure how much life I'll get out of these used tubes, but this is a house, studio rig and doesn't get much abuse at all.  So  for no more than about the cost of one pair of new "modern"  imports, I have 2 pair of vintage American tubes.  The improved sound is substantial to my ears.  And the Rubys are relegated to emergency standbys, doubt they'll ever see much action.

2007 LV 05e
1972 Martin D35-S
2006 G&L Tribute ASAT Classic (modded pickups)
198? Electra X930 Vulcan
abalone at last

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 01:21:39 AM »

True enough...I paid a little under 40 donuts for my rubes....what kind of speakers are you using in your cab?  I switched to celestion 35 s and can finally turn the volume past 3 without doing ear damage...old one was a fender special design 12 inch from 1970 s....lots of fun had  swapping tubes and speakers eh... 

2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric
lkjjr

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 01:36:58 AM »

Fun indeed...
I've got a home made poplar cab with 2 Weber AlNiCo Sig 10"

[attachment deleted by admin]

2007 LV 05e
1972 Martin D35-S
2006 G&L Tribute ASAT Classic (modded pickups)
198? Electra X930 Vulcan
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 04:23:34 AM »

Very nice guitar & amp rig!

Tubes and speakers make a remarkable difference (as do pickups, and  ... even picks!).

Lotsa fun!

nice guitar AND AMP

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: