Poll
Question: What guitar would you bring to a camp fire. There is no risk to the guitar.
Jumbo - 4 (5.3%)
Dreadnought - 19 (25%)
L-Body - 16 (21.1%)
LS (Larrivée Small) - 6 (7.9%)
OM - 11 (14.5%)
Classical - 1 (1.3%)
OOO - 3 (3.9%)
Parlor - 6 (7.9%)
Other - please specify - 10 (13.2%)
Total Voters: 52

Pages: 1 ... 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What would you bring to a camp fire  (Read 16705 times)
dkoloff

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2011, 09:33:20 PM »

Om size....Composite acoustics OX...just in case I get to close to the fire.

Taylor Custom GA
Taylor 424ce SL
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Rainsong OM
Composite Acoustics OX Raw ( Peavey)
Composite Acoustics OX Gloss
Voyage Air VAOM-1C
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Simon and Patrick Woodland Pro
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2011, 03:18:57 AM »

Hi ducktrapper,

"Beater".

Character!

There's a neat effect with the shadow on your hat. Makes it look like a duck bill.

ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2011, 03:47:42 AM »

I brought my Larrivée  C38 (Classical with Florentine cutaway - 30 years old) to the event.

I REALLY like the sound of this guitar outdoors.  And my impression has been that in terms of volume, it would keep up with any of the other guitars I have around here.  Reading the replies that came in, I started to have doubts so I recorded a bunch of guitars for you to hear and compare: Campfire guitar ditties and later Classical or Jumbo.

It seemed odd that my choice (Classical) would not line up with the majority of people here who would bring Dreadnougths and L-bodies. That set me to thinking. Why was I so sure that the tone and volume of the Classical was the right choice for me?

Volume
It took awhile to get to this - but maybe the reason that the Classical is as loud as all the others is because I play without a pick. I almost never actually strum. So it might be that there is only so much volume that I can get out of any of my guitars and up to THAT point, the Classical is as loud as the others.

Assuming that we'd all be playing without amplification, playing louder in order to be heard is a fruitless exercise. Playing an instrument that does not sound like the rest makes a difference and helps everybody to stand out in the mix.

Tone
I knew that most if not all of the others there would be bringing steel-string guitars.  So in terms of finding a musical space in which to fit - I thought it would be easier to do that with the Classical. This goes back to my view that if two people are playing the same thing, one of them can stop.

Some of the players would be wanting to play acoustic lead (or fills, embellishments, plug the holes type stuff) and in order to give them more room to be heard when playing with me, I wanted to create a backdrop against which they could be more clearly distinguished in the mix.

For whom was I playing?
I went to play for others. That was pretty much the basis of the invitation to the event.  More and more these days my mindset is:

If I'm playing in front of others - play for them.

AtlasHeating

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2011, 09:44:44 PM »

I am a professional Campfire Guitarist. I play for a local camp every summer and lead the horse campers in sing along songs. I use my L-03. It works well and it has held up well over the years that I have used it. In 2005 I gave away my Ovation that I was using for my campfires and started using the Larrivee.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2011, 11:06:04 PM »

I am a professional Campfire Guitarist. I play for a local camp every summer and lead the horse campers in sing along songs. I use my L-03. It works well and it has held up well over the years that I have used it. In 2005 I gave away my Ovation that I was using for my campfires and started using the Larrivee.
  Sounds cool.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2011, 03:25:57 AM »

What wood you bring to a camp fire?  Mahogany.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2011, 11:10:55 PM »

Hi GA-ME

Thanks for posting the link. 

Listened to some of the other recordings too.

I appreciated being able to hear the guitar.

ST, I really don't have any recordings online of any thing approaching well recorded.  The song I'm linking is an original tune called I Told A Lie. I'm playing my 000-60 and my buddy Dave is playing an exceptional sounding hand made Yari dred.  We had just completed the song and wanted to get a quick recording to send to the other fellows in our little group so they could learn it for our next practice. Again, allow for the recording quality as it is just an el-cheapo Sony Camcorder placed about ten feet in front of where we are sitting to play.

http://vimeo.com/18447609

Pages: 1 ... 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: