Poll
Question: What guitar would you bring to a camp fire. There is no risk to the guitar.
Jumbo - 4 (5.3%)
Dreadnought - 19 (25%)
L-Body - 16 (21.1%)
LS (Larrivée Small) - 6 (7.9%)
OM - 11 (14.5%)
Classical - 1 (1.3%)
OOO - 3 (3.9%)
Parlor - 6 (7.9%)
Other - please specify - 10 (13.2%)
Total Voters: 52

Pages: [1] 2 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What would you bring to a camp fire  (Read 17426 times)
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: August 06, 2011, 03:31:25 PM »

The Setting
The setting is a gentle, civilized party of adults. Most of the people there are guitarists and the folks who travel with them.  Some are singer-songwriters. Some are those who like to accompany singer-songwriters.  There is no concern for the physical safety of the instrument. The temperature is moderate, there is no wind, no sparks, no flying embers, no flaming marshmallows or excessive smoke.  

Players will likely be taking-turns with others accompanying whoever is playing. There may be some sing-along.

What guitar would you bring?  Why?  

Please post and tell us why you would bring what you would bring if you could bring anything. There is no requirement that you actually own the guitars that get your votes.

Non-essential back-story:

Last night I got a last minute invitation to go to an outdoor party. A camp fire was to be the centre-piece of the event in a huge back yard in a supportive residential area. The neighbours would be at the party.  

I had an early evening gig and I knew that I wouldn't get to the party until after 10:30-11:00. I was playing my virtual guitar rig (electric) at the gig and I knew that wouldn't fly at the party so the big question: "What to bring to the camp fire"  I pictured a modest fire, nothing too noisy. There would be maybe a dozen or twenty folks sitting around glowing embers and soft flames. Given the temperatures lately, it would be about 65-70 degrees.

There were small groups of people chatting in areas near by: Maybe fifty people all told.  Those who wanted to listen or sing or play along would join the camp fire.

Voting
You can vote up to two times if you like (first and second choice if you like)
You can change your votes

Thank you for participating and sharing your thoughts.

tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 03:52:17 PM »

ST
I guess I'm the first to respond.   I voted for OM or "other" ;  the other being my LS-03MT.   
Here's my reasoning.     I would want something sort of on the smallish side but with a big enough sound to be heard among several other voices and instruments.   The larger size of a dread or a jumbo might tend to get in the way a bit.  Also, those guitars might tend to dominate rather than blend.  If the gathering is more of a "taking turns" rather than a singalong you'd still be in good shape.    Either and OM or LS would seem most comfortable to me in that setting since they could be strummed, flatpicked, or fingerpicked equally well.   I suppose that I'd consider my 000 as a likely candidate too for the same reasons.   

This type of gathering always has the potential for lots of individual styles to be represented and I guess you need to be prepared for anything.  Having heard you play I know that doesn't present any problem for you but I might be a little intimidated myself.   

I'm interested to see what others might have to say about it

T
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 04:22:12 PM »

I voted for the L - as it can do it all and I find the most comfortable to play in any setting able to "keep up" with most everything. It's so versatile and fits ME so well. The L got my vote.

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 04:22:45 PM »

Hi Lynn,

Thanks for replying and for your kind comments.

I've corrected the options and spelling in the poll. I added the LS body (silly omission on my part).  Please modify your votes because I realize now that having edited the choices messed up the results so far.  I didn't realize that I could modify the poll so I created another one, but I've removed that one now.

Someone else out there voted but didn't post a reply (yet). To that person - please vote again. Thanks.

And to everyone - I'm sorry about the confusion.

eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 05:35:22 PM »

I voted parlor and other.  For years, my Larrivee parlor (original issue plain Jane version) has been my default guitar.  I'm getting used to my OOV-03 and my Voyage Air VAMD-04, enough so that I might want to bring one of them too or instead.  The only thing that gets touchy at song circle type get togethers like the one you describe, are those people who want to show off their "cannon" or lack the self control to play *with* the other players and play too loud.  With the right bunch, that can be the most satisfying playing arrangement possible, for me at least.

Ed
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 07:45:43 PM »

I voted for the LS and the OM since those are the one's I have.I would have put down jumbo but my playing partner has taken control of it {for now} and the only other one I have is a jumbo 12 string which would just be a silly guitar to bring.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 09:38:22 PM »

I chose dreadnought and parlor--dread for the beginning of the party and the parlor for when it winds down 
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 10:33:07 PM »

My normal beach or bonfire guitar is my Yamaha FG-180 but I could always bring either my L-01 or OM-01. I'd never bring anything better, there is always  risk involved in these situations. Fire and beer? Anything can happen.
hadden
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 10:41:26 PM »

I vote you go somewhere else where the setting isn't a gentle, civilized party of adults. If things start to lag at the end of the night there, throw the pawn shop beater you brought onto the flames to get things reved up again.

L-03 Italian Spruce
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 10:43:56 PM »

My normal beach or bonfire guitar is my Yamaha FG-180 but I could always bring either my L-01 or OM-01. I'd never bring anything better, there is always  risk involved in these situations. Fire and beer? Anything can happen.

Like good music!  I always say, if I can't play it, I don't need it.  If the situation is too dangerous for my guitar, it is too dangerous for me.  

YMMV.

Ed
dermot

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 04:52:33 AM »

having had the chance to meet a few of ST's friends, i would not be slightest bit worried about damage.. so if it was me, i would take my D-18.. if i was in ST shoes, i might have placed the D42 (if you still have it) in the back seat of the car for the evening.. the pearl looks so sparkely in firelight ;-)

And i also subscribe to the theory "if it's too precious to play anywhere i want, anytime i want - then i don't own it, it owns me...

My story;

Three weeks ago i was hanging out on the Sunshine coast, a friend owns a studio up there.

After dinner he got a fire going in his firepit. I brought my Webber RoundBody for the weekend, and he has a Guild f20 that i own in his studio, his wife was playing her Banjo, and another friend was playing a '49 000-18.

One thing in common is that all the guitars are very lightly built and somewhat fragile, from the feather weight '61 Guild, the just postwar Martin (that's the only year they were made with taper braces like Larrivee uses) and the Webber has a cedar top and is the lightest rosewood guitar i have ever held

All of my friends were former pro's, have gold records and all that stuff stashed somewhere, and no one cares about any of that... a great dinner, conversation, all of us are dry & sober now, so no wine consumed, no smokeables consumed.. just music and talk....

Was great evening.. i'm sure ST's turned out just as well....

d
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 11:35:26 AM »

I vote you go somewhere else where the setting isn't a gentle, civilized party of adults. If things start to lag at the end of the night there, throw the pawn shop beater you brought onto the flames to get things reved up again.

If this is meant for me, you need to try my "pawn shop beater". Red tag 180. Nice guitar. Laminated for the beach. As for "gentle, civilized party of adults", sounds like a snooze. Have ... um ... fun? 
Michael T
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 07:01:14 PM »

I voted Dread & other, someone left off 12 strings so I guess other would be the choice to make.

08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 12:03:09 AM »

I voted Other and L-body.  The L-07, because that's what I have, and it sounds soooo nice plus I've played it so long, it just feels like it belongs if you know what I mean.  I haven't really played most of the other models much except for a few minutes in music stores so can't really say if I would bring one of those if I had one.

The Other, because I now have a Norman B20 dreadnaught with a solid cedar top and laminated cherry back and sides that I am very proud of.  I bought it for 30 dollars about 6 months ago with some cracks in the somewhat bellied top, and poor action as a result.  I have "fixed" it now, and it plays and sounds great.  I made a new nut and saddle for it from deer antler.  Because the neck attaches with two long screws from the back and has 2 "tilt adjustment" allen screws at the last fret that you adjust through the top of the fingerboard, I was able to "reset" the neck to compensate for the dip around the soundhole.  I also made a new pickguard for it from a piece of redwood burl veneer and attached it with carpet tape.  There was a bad gouge in the top on the bass side of the upper bout which a patched with a piece of cedar shingle.  However, this didn't look good at all so I made it obvious by engraving a little sun graphic on it.  I replaced one of the tuners which I got gratis from GA-ME (many thanks for that).  I also "improved" the finish on the top with a few coats of shellac right on top of the old finish. 

The main reason I would bring the Norman is to show it and my "repair skills" off and because it is actually easier to play than my L-07 so is more versatile in some ways plus easier to play barre chords on.  I believe I would get lots of comments on it if I brought it and it would be a good converstation starter.  It's not a "looker" (kinda like a wolf in sheeps clothing) and anyone who's tried it have been very impressed.

A couple of before and after pics....................  The cracks still show but they are now glued shut and/or filled with cedar shingle strips.
Kurt

[attachment deleted by admin]

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

Michael T
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 12:58:47 AM »

Keep those emotions in check & have fun:)

08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom

Peachy

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 08:46:53 AM »

Interesting conundrum.......

About 2 weeks ago I would have taken my Gibson DSR-CE..............and added it to the fire! Now I've sold it and used the cash for my J-05.
I have an 35 yr old EKO Ranger and that guitar is indestructable. It could also be used for laying out the steaks ready for the grill or as a large salad bowl.........
Only problem with the EKO is the lack of volume, due to its carefully crafted multi-laminate top and sides  My first choice would be the J-05 (providing I wasn't aiming to get hammered on the booze!). Playing anything outdoors results in sound disappation, so a parlour-size guitar might just get lost in the ether.
If there were going to be loads of guitars at this beach BBQ, I guess it doesn't really matter which one you take as there would no doubt be a wide variety.
I get a bit precious about others playing my nice guitars - I made the mistake of letting a friend use my Taylor 514CE one night. He attacked it with gusto (and a very heavy pick!") I wasn't amused at the two large dings he left below the sound hole..... angry
So, in summary....I'd take one of my less cherished guitars and if it got beer, sand, mayonnaise, ketchup and cigarette ash/burns.....not the end of the world!

Larrivee J-05 (2003), Taylor 514CE 30th Anniv, Taylor 214e (2005), Ovation 2005 Collectors', Kinkade 'Kingsdown (1987), Avalon L25 (2009)
Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 12:22:25 PM »

I bought a Takamine for $125 for my campfire guitar. That way I don't care if it gets damged or stolen. If I get drunk and forget to bring it home I won't worry. Outside around a fire great tone doesn't matter and the Takamine plays just fine.

I leave my Larrivees and Gibsons at home.

Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 01:23:49 PM »

graham crackers, marshmallows and hershey's chocolate bars.
Michael T
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 01:38:50 PM »

I bought a Takamine for $125 for my campfire guitar. That way I don't care if it gets damaged or stolen. If I get drunk and forget to bring it home I won't worry. Outside around a fire great tone doesn't matter and the Takamine plays just fine.

Sounds like wisdom speaking!   

08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 02:43:15 PM »

I bought a Takamine for $125 for my campfire guitar. That way I don't care if it gets damged or stolen. If I get drunk and forget to bring it home I won't worry. Outside around a fire great tone doesn't matter and the Takamine plays just fine.

Hey, haven't your heard it's a "gentle, civilized adult" party? Bring your best guitar and you don't even require a case!  On second thought, you and I are probably not welcome.   
Pages: [1] 2 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: