Higher end Mics with H4N?

Started by hadden, August 12, 2011, 08:19:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm trying to snag a Zoom H4N, or another of the cheapy handhelds from Ebay. Just missed one.

I've been hoping it's good enough to allow an upgrade path to later hook up nicer condensers. I wonder if anyone has tried it with a variety of mics, and what you've heard. I don't know if I should get something else altogether.

Also, I'd really like to hear a wav recording of a Larrivee with the zoom or another you think gets it right sound wise -- good room and all.
L-03 Italian Spruce

Separate mics will allow you to use different mic placements, which can certainly influence the overall sound you will get.  That flexibility is perhaps reason enough to add a pair of mics.

As to the HN4, and similar handhelds, there are numerous positive reviews about them.  However, they can be a bit noisy, i.e., the self noise of the units are higher than many other products.  This might not be important if you are recording a rock and roll band.  But if you are recording solo fingerstyle acoustic guitar, self noise specs become much more important.  Mics also have self noise specs.

Quote from: sdelsolray on August 14, 2011, 11:30:27 AM
Separate mics will allow you to use different mic placements, which can certainly influence the overall sound you will get.  That flexibility is perhaps reason enough to add a pair of mics.

As to the HN4, and similar handhelds, there are numerous positive reviews about them.  However, they can be a bit noisy, i.e., the self noise of the units are higher than many other products.  This might not be important if you are recording a rock and roll band.  But if you are recording solo fingerstyle acoustic guitar, self noise specs become much more important.  Mics also have self noise specs.

I have noticed a highish noise floor on test tracks I've heard. Bad news for solo acoustic as you say.
L-03 Italian Spruce

I have an older Zoom H4 that recorded well but I never tried it with any other mics.  The condenser mics they put into those little machines are not bad and record in stereo.  I use a couple of Audio Technica mics through an interface for recording now, but I'm still experimenting.  If you're looking to buy high end mics, then set yourself up with an interface and  software to go with them.  Still, the Zoom recordings sounded pretty good and I bought it over 3 years ago.  There are so many of those little machines out on the market now.  I've never been able to get it to work with Garageband though.  I really should give that another go. 

WIth condenser microphones, the pre-amp used is as or more important for low noise recording than the microphone itself.  Actually, this isn't limited to just condensers, but condensers are more popular than dynamic or other mics for acoustic guitar recording. 

There's an adage I've seen repeated on the internet; "you can make a crappy mic sound good with a great pre-amp, but you can't make a great mic sound great with a crappy pre-amp."

The noise is mostly coming from the pre-amp, not the mic itself - no matter what microphone is being used.

There's quite a bit of articles posted on the pre-amp noise of the H4 and H4n when using either internal or external microphones.  Just Google:  h4n preamp noise

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud