Considering buying a D-03R - is this a good deal?

Started by kyleknapp, August 08, 2011, 06:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I am in possession of a used D-03R which a local luthier is offering to sell me for $800

It appears to be in excellent condition EXCEPT for a crack right down the center of the top from the bridge to the end pin.  The crack has been repaired from the inside, leaving no evident warping of the top, and is fairly inconspicuous unless you're looking for it.  The instrument feels and sounds wonderful!

It has an active Ibeam pickup (which I haven't tried out yet) and a nice, solid but cosmetically worn, hardshell case. 

I have never owned an instrument of this caliber before, and $800 is kind of a lot of money for a starving artist like me (my Tacoma DR20, the most expensive guitar I've ever purchased, was $600 brand new).  I realize this is very subjective, but if anyone has an opinion, even if it's a gut-level, knee-jerk response, I'd be very interested in hearing it.

Thanks!
~kyle
Larrivee OMV-03 Sapele

Kyle -- I'll send you a PM expressing my frank opinion.

But I think you can do better.
"Soulshine is better than sunshine, better than moonshine, damn sure better than rain."

These days you can get a used perfect D03 for the at price. The crack requires a discount..its got an  I Beam but I wouldn't add any for that. But you have it in hand and if you like the guitar offer him about 70% of his asking price.

Otherwise go shopping...
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Echoes my PM ... I think we will all kind of find ourselves at a consensus.
"Soulshine is better than sunshine, better than moonshine, damn sure better than rain."

Thanks everybody, this helps a lot.  I'll hang onto it and play it a few more days, then decide whether to make an offer on it.

I appreciate the advice.
~kyle
Larrivee OMV-03 Sapele

Lots of these around used, crack free. Maybe for less.
L-03 Italian Spruce

Oh BTW, can anyone tell from the serial how old this guitar might be?  I sent a "Manufacture Date request" to Larivee, but their site says it might take several weeks for them to get back to me.

The serial number is 91097

Also FWIW, the seller is a local luthier shop (John Hargiss Stringed Instruments) - John builds some nice guitars of his own, but much of his business is repair work, and he also buys and sells used instruments - I'm pretty sure he did the crack repair, and would probably warranty it.  I've never seen a Larivee in his shop before this (he favors Martins).  I might be able to get a comparable guitar for less somewhere else, if price were my only consideration, but John's done me a bunch of favors over the years.  So I'd like to make my next major guitar purchase from him, if possible;  I just wanted some objective input to help inform the negotiations, if I decide I love the guitar enough to pursue it.  (So far I'm pretty infatuated...)  Anyway, thanks again everybody for your input.

~kyle
:donut :donut2 :coffee
Larrivee OMV-03 Sapele

Buying from a genius repair tech is never a bad thing ... building equity in that relationship.

Equity or no, I think you can work him on price and get him to stand behind the repair. Between what the instrument cost him and whe he invested in the repair, he may have more into the thing than $700. But if you can tell him that $700 is about the going rate for a used D-03R without a crack repair, but you really wnat to buy from him, I can't think he would back away from you. Equity in a relationship is a two way street.

Quote from: HAMFIST on August 09, 2011, 12:16:42 AM
Buying from a genius repair tech is never a bad thing ... building equity in that relationship.

Equity or no, I think you can work him on price and get him to stand behind the repair. Between what the instrument cost him and whe he invested in the repair, he may have more into the thing than $700. But if you can tell him that $700 is about the going rate for a used D-03R without a crack repair, but you really wnat to buy from him, I can't think he would back away from you. Equity in a relationship is a two way street.
:+1:
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Hi kyleknapp

Quote from: kyleknapp on August 08, 2011, 11:42:33 PM
Oh BTW, can anyone tell from the serial how old this guitar might be?  I sent a "Manufacture Date request" to Larivee, but their site says it might take several weeks for them to get back to me.

The serial number is 91097

That looks like sometime in 2006.

Larrivée Serial Numbers

--== Click the picture for more information ==--

When you get the actual date from Larrivée please add this guitar to the list. Click the picture above to see how to do that.

Thanks!

QuoteThat looks like sometime in 2006.
When you get the actual date from Larrivée please add this guitar to the list. Click the picture above to see how to do that.

Thanks ST, I will do that!
Larrivee OMV-03 Sapele

not a good deal, I bought one recently for less than that and no cracks,
It is a great guitar, just be patient and keep looking.
Dave

If you're confident in the crack repair, I'd think $700 might be reasonable.  I wouldn't pay $800.

How much would everyone discount this guitar (or similar) due to repaired cracks?  Assuming a competent repair, is this just a cosmetic issue?

Quote from: KLREngr on August 13, 2011, 07:46:22 PM
If you're confident in the crack repair, I'd think $700 might be reasonable.  I wouldn't pay $800.

How much would everyone discount this guitar (or similar) due to repaired cracks?  Assuming a competent repair, is this just a cosmetic issue?

I would say another hundred or so off would get it back into the ballpark.

There may be some value, given who he is buying it from, in future bench time for setups, tweaks, etc. I would want to get that in the deal as he sees the person he is buying from as a critical part of the package.