Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1st Electric  (Read 2890 times)
tulk1

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2011, 10:13:14 PM »

Good choice. Bet it'll look very close to mine.  Just an fyi from my point of view, and that is all it is - the Larrivee HB pickups are very very! dynamic. Wide open they will snarl like you wouldn't believe. They cut thru, they fit the mix, can be very articulate. My singer insists I use the RS-2 just for those very reasons. whistling

What I've ended up doing is running the pickups on about 5, with the amp up a bit so it can work. At 5 you can get some truly nice cleans, bare down a bit and get some natural OD. Start moving them up towards 7/8 and wow!! At 10 (which is rare these days) watch out!! Those pickups will tear it up. Amazing guitar, amazing pickups.

Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 03:38:35 AM »

What I've ended up doing is running the pickups on about 5, with the amp up a bit so it can work. At 5 you can get some truly nice cleans, bare down a bit and get some natural OD. Start moving them up towards 7/8 and wow!! At 10 (which is rare these days) watch out!! Those pickups will tear it up. Amazing guitar, amazing pickups.

I do this as well, but keep in mind that tulk1 is (probably) describing how the pickups react to a good tube amp...or a good overdrive stompbox. Some amps won't interact in this same "dynamic" way with the pickups - but it's no fault of these guitars! They're very expressive, and as you learn your instrument, you'll appreciate them even more. 

As I mentioned before, find a good electric player locally, and have him play this thing when you get it...hopefully he'll give it back to you!  whistling

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
tulk1

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2011, 11:59:03 AM »

I do this as well, but keep in mind that tulk1 is (probably) describing how the pickups react to a good tube amp...or a good overdrive stompbox. Some amps won't interact in this same "dynamic" way with the pickups - but it's no fault of these guitars! They're very expressive, and as you learn your instrument, you'll appreciate them even more. 

As I mentioned before, find a good electric player locally, and have him play this thing when you get it...hopefully he'll give it back to you!  whistling
Yep. That is certainly a big part of the equation. 

Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."
Penceler

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2011, 12:33:56 AM »

All good advice which I will hopefully follow.  It is supposed to arrive Friday so I should have some initial reactions after the weekend.  It's exciting really - something new to learn (and be humbled by).  Thanks for the tips on settings.  Now if only my acoustics will forgive me...

John
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: