Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1st Electric  (Read 2901 times)
Penceler

Ignore
« on: August 02, 2011, 12:28:03 AM »

So after 30 years of playing acoustics (mostly Martin, Larrivee and Ovation) I'm seriously considering an RS-2.  Part of it is just to do something different, Part of it is to play the easy action of an electric.  It will be my first electric.  I play pretty much any genre of music that catches my fancy from mid range rock to jazz.  I picked up a fender mustang amp a few weeks ago - it should make for a nice practice amp.  Any thoughts on Larrivee electrics in general and of course, the RS2 in particular.   Please don't talk too technical or I'll be lost immediately!

John
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 12:40:59 AM »

Hi John,

welcome  Have you considered the new Tele-style that Larrive just came out with?
Penceler

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 12:49:22 AM »

I have not - why would you recommend it over the rs2?  What's drawing me to the rs is versatility, a neck I'm somewhat familiar with, price and a very simple and clean look.  Having said that, you almost certainly know better.

John
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 01:19:50 AM »

Any thoughts on Larrivee electrics in general and of course, the RS2 in particular.   Please don't talk too technical or I'll be lost immediately!

Hi John The Larrivee Electrics are top shelf with a medium price tag. The craftmanship and hardware parts that go in them are 2nd to none Boutique quality craftmanship, pickups and internal electrical parts that you only see on the very high end electrics. Difficult to beat the value of an RS 2 but the beauty bling and tone of an RS 4 is where my heart is. The new Tele Style ( Larrivee Bakersfield) looks like it will be a typical Larrivee electric - Superior craftmanship with the highest end parts. What this guitar may also offer you is that might be an easier starter electric tthan the RS models might be - that depends on the person but generally speaking that is true.

Now for the world it opens up for you and your playing is like learning a 2nd language - so much for you to look forward to and have fun with.

Let us know what you decide and keep us posted on your progress

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Penceler

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 01:37:11 AM »

Thanks - so help me out here.  Why would you consider one an easier 1st electric over the other?

John
abalone at last

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 02:36:10 AM »

ya, why would it be easier? i say go for the RS 2 ,,,with hummers!! or the big single coils if thats your voice.

2002 LV-05

PRS semi hollow electric
nuncle

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 04:12:18 AM »

You might want to check out the Larry version of a Tele--looks like a no frills, down to business guitar. (Single coil pickups  are very use friendly, too.) The basic Tele design makes for the most versatile electric  guitar, according to  some pretty top-notch players.     Believe it or not, a lot of jazzy folks play Tele-type guitars. I'm no ace picker or nuttin', but I like 'em and the pics I've seen of the Larry version look mighty damn tempting.  

Larrivee L-03R,  Recording King RD-03, Simon & Patrck Woodland Pro Folk, Martin OOCXAE, Gib. LP Jr, Gib Melody Maker Special, Fender (mim) 69 Tele Thinline
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 04:49:22 AM »

The only "problem" with the Bakersfield suggestion is that it will cost about $600 more than the RS-2. Both have single coils, so both will have some hum issues. The RS-2 has four controls versus the B's two controls - personal preference.

There are first generation RS-2's still out there, and one of these would solve the hum issue, and for a first guitar, this is what I would recommend over the P-90's. P-90's require some technique to really master, in my experience - humbuckers are more forgiving (and P-90's are the only pickup offered in the 2nd generation RS-2/Ventura). The Larrivee humbuckers are very versatile pickups...and the old RS-2 is a great guitar and a great value.

First generation RS-2's (with humbuckers) might be $100-200 more than the newer ones, but I think they're still a great value. Check out Guitar Adoptions website (www.guitaradoptions.com - no affiliation, just a great dealer with great prices); he still has several of the older RS-2's w/humbuckers.

[attachment deleted by admin]

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
tulk1

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 11:33:00 AM »

I play an earlier model RS2 as my main guitar ... right now. Those HBs will surprise you, no doubt. Turn 'em up and get some nasty on. Back 'em off and they clean up, can get sparkly if you want. Plus, no hum.

A Tele-esque, to me, is not the first electric guitar you should have. Well, not just you, but people in general. Tele's have a tendency to fight you. And the harder you fight them the harder they fight back until one masters the other. Think of it as breaking in a wild horse! Once it's saddle broke, well then all is fine with the world. But until then ......... well, breaking them in is half the fun.

I think your idea of an RS2 is spot on. Versatile guitar, easy to play. Would be a great way to get into electric guitar. And they are an even better deal used, if you can go that way.

Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."
BLTQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 12:36:24 PM »

I've had my RS-2 (mine's really a cross between a RS-2 and RS-4) just over a month.  While it's far from my first electric I truly believe it will likely be my last.  I am THAT pleased with it.  There are tons of guitars to choose from, but I finally found the one that I've been after all these years.  It is inspiring me to work hard to become a player worthy of playing it. 

2010 RS-2 w/ P-90s and flamed maple top
2002 Les Paul DC
2007 MIM 60's Strat
2012 MIK Steinberger Spirit GT-Pro
1995(6?) MIJ Jackson Soloist
1989? MIK Washburn KC-60V w/ DiMarzios
2013 YRG-1000 Gen 2 Guitar Synth
2004 MIJ Takamine AN10
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 12:57:37 PM »

Hard to debate the simplicity of Tele type ( Bakersfield) Guitars BUT The easiest guitar to play is the one you are truly interested in, thus if it's the RS 2 that floats your boat combined with the unsurpassed value in either its Generation one or two then you won't go wrong with that choice. The RS 2 does come with pickup options however, either Humbuckers or P90's, this is something you might want to research a little before making your choice. Or gettem both bigrin

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 01:17:13 PM »

I've had my RS-2 (mine's really a cross between a RS-2 and RS-4) just over a month.  While it's far from my first electric I truly believe it will likely be my last.  I am THAT pleased with it.  There are tons of guitars to choose from, but I finally found the one that I've been after all these years.  It is inspiring me to work hard to become a player worthy of playing it. 

BLTQ we are still awaiting some pics of your RS 2 Prototype as it was only one of 5 or maybe 6 made. As you know you need 10 posts in order to post a pic soooo get chattin The Larrivee RS series whether the Prototype, RS 2 or RS 4 are truly an extraordinary guitars and a joy to play

rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 01:18:23 PM »

to the OP....

You should try both styles of bridge - what I find the biggest difference between Fender style bridges (like on the Bakersfield) and Gibson style bridges (like on the RS) is where it positions your picking hand relative to the top of the guitar.

For palm muting and anchoring of the picking hand to the top - this is actually kind of critical how you 'learn' first.  I learned on Fender style and it's what is hard-wired into my brain.  One can learn the other but it takes time.

With acoustic guitars, this simply isn't a big deal - all bridges on flat-tops pretty much put your hand in the same spot.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 02:39:18 PM »

If you like the RS-2 (and who wouldn't?), get it. It'll serve you well. 
BLTQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 03:50:35 PM »

BLTQ we are still awaiting some pics of your RS 2 Prototype as it was only one of 5 or maybe 6 made. As you know you need 10 posts in order to post a pic soooo get chattin  The Larrivee RS series whether the Prototype, RS 2 or RS 4 are truly an extraordinary guitars and a joy to play

You can view pics of my RS-2 under the thread "Fancy RS-2" as the original owner posted a few on this forum.  It's a rootbeer burst with cream binding on the body and fretboard and with matching P-90s.  She's a beauty for sure.  Thanks for your interest.

2010 RS-2 w/ P-90s and flamed maple top
2002 Les Paul DC
2007 MIM 60's Strat
2012 MIK Steinberger Spirit GT-Pro
1995(6?) MIJ Jackson Soloist
1989? MIK Washburn KC-60V w/ DiMarzios
2013 YRG-1000 Gen 2 Guitar Synth
2004 MIJ Takamine AN10
nuncle

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 08:01:18 PM »

The only "problem" with the Bakersfield suggestion is that it will cost about $600 more than the RS-2. Both have single coils, so both will have some hum issues. The RS-2 has four controls versus the B's two controls - personal preference.

There are first generation RS-2's still out there, and one of these would solve the hum issue, and for a first guitar, this is what I would recommend over the P-90's. P-90's require some technique to really master, in my experience - humbuckers are more forgiving (and P-90's are the only pickup offered in the 2nd generation RS-2/Ventura). The Larrivee humbuckers are very versatile pickups...and the old RS-2 is a great guitar and a great value.

First generation RS-2's (with humbuckers) might be $100-200 more than the newer ones, but I think they're still a great value. Check out Guitar Adoptions website (www.guitaradoptions.com - no affiliation, just a great dealer with great prices); he still has several of the older RS-2's w/humbuckers.

For sure.  The guitar to get is always the guitar you dig.  Also, I suppose, bounce to the buck.  I didn't know the Bakersfield was more expensive than the RS-2.

Both dig factor and buck factor are guidelines.  I've bought a couple of guitars I wish I hadn't primarily because I really did not know what I wanted or the miscreant guitar looked good on paper and I figured, even after playing 'em, they would work for me.  They didn't.  Work for me, that is.   Hey, no one ever accused me of being smart.  If the RS has that spark and is priced right.  That's the guit to get. 

For what it is worth, I'm more of a two knob guy myself.  But if the RS-2 is the guit for you, you might want to try both the hummbucker version and the P-90 version.  (I'm a sucker for P-90 pick-ups.)   

Larrivee L-03R,  Recording King RD-03, Simon & Patrck Woodland Pro Folk, Martin OOCXAE, Gib. LP Jr, Gib Melody Maker Special, Fender (mim) 69 Tele Thinline
Penceler

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 11:08:00 PM »

Thanks for all your comments.  I just took the plunge and ordered a white RS2 with humbuckers from Guitar Adoptions.  Time will tell if this is foolishness or genius.

John
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 01:03:31 AM »

Thanks for all your comments.  I just took the plunge and ordered a white RS2 with humbuckers from Guitar Adoptions.  Time will tell if this is foolishness or genius.

John

John you have ordered yourself a top notch guitar there Friend. Look forward to your comments

Cybercanyon

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2011, 03:48:58 AM »

It is a beautiful guitar and it will serve you well. nice guitar

Mike

Seek perfection of character!
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!
Refrain from violent deeds!
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2011, 02:02:58 PM »

John

Good choice, and Dave is great to work with, and his prices are the best in the business. I predict you'll be a satisfied customer.

The other positive thing I like about the RS-2 is how light it is on a strap. If you've been mostly an acoustic player, you'll appreciate this as well. My RS-2 is very light, but sounds very alive and sustains well. Mine has P-90's - if the economy (or my personal economy) were different, I'd also have one with humbuckers. 

Look forward to your impressions when you get it. Also, if you have a guitar playing friend who plays a lot of electric, have them give it a go; I'm sure they'll be impressed!

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: