Lefty Larrivee Love

Started by SouthpawGuy, August 01, 2011, 01:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Some new pics of my RS4

I may have gone a bit click happy with the pics !   :nana_guitar

:drool: :drool:.I really love the old style Epiphone/Guild inlays.Really a beautiful looking instrument.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

The headstock logo looks righty, not lefty. Since the pots are true lefty, I figured the logo would be too.
Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."

Quote from: tulk1 on August 01, 2011, 02:31:28 PM
The headstock logo looks righty, not lefty. Since the pots are true lefty, I figured the logo would be too.

Shirley then it would be either upside down or back to front ?

Or both.  :?  :wacko:

And before any one replies, yes I know, it's back to front already ...   :cop:  :thumbsup

Beautiful RS-4, SouthpawGuy!  Great pics, too - what kind of camera did you use?

Every piece of wood on that thing (top back neck) is perfect! I agreee with unclrob about the inlays, too. I used to think they were just a little "over the top" but now I don't even really notice them; they're just a nice, classy touch.

Is that a newer one with Larrivee pickups, or an NOS one with Lollars? (Based on serial number, I'd say it's an early one with Lollars...)

Also, I'm always curious why people wrap the strings over the top of the tailpiece? Does it change the string tension? Some other reason? I always figured that the RS-4 didn't have quite the bridge/tailpiece angle of a Les Paul, so it didn't need the strings wrapped over that way (to avoid having them touching the back of the tune-o-matic bridge behind the saddles...)

:nice guitar:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on August 01, 2011, 04:32:59 PM
Beautiful RS-4, SouthpawGuy!  Great pics, too - what kind of camera did you use?

Every piece of wood on that thing (top back neck) is perfect! I agreee with unclrob about the inlays, too. I used to think they were just a little "over the top" but now I don't even really notice them; they're just a nice, classy touch.

Is that a newer one with Larrivee pickups, or an NOS one with Lollars? (Based on serial number, I'd say it's an early one with Lollars...)

Also, I'm always curious why people wrap the strings over the top of the tailpiece? Does it change the string tension? Some other reason? I always figured that the RS-4 didn't have quite the bridge/tailpiece angle of a Les Paul, so it didn't need the strings wrapped over that way (to avoid having them touching the back of the tune-o-matic bridge behind the saddles...)

:nice guitar:

Thanks, it is a nice one !

I use a Fuji Finepix S5800, got it maybe two or three years ago now. The trick is to use a tripod, and I also set the camera to aperture priority and use the self timed shutter release. I took those pics earlier on today, indoors, and it was a dull overcast day outside, you wouldn't think that from the pics though. Also I don't use flash, just the available natural light.

I actually bought it from another Larrivee forum member, it has Tom Short Tombuckers installed. As for the top wrapping it was like that when I bought it ! The strings were changed before it was shipped to me.  I always clean the strings when I finish playing so they're still in good condition. They're fairly heavy strings, 11's, but they don't feel like it, so I guess the theory that top wrapping makes the strings feel a little looser works.

Some players like D.Allman did it that way because he felt it added sustain.Its also the way the strings are strung  if it was just a wrap around ie no tunamatic.Think 52-53 LP.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Beauty!!! Almost makes one wanna play Lefty :doh
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Beautiful! It's a mirror image of mine. Love the amber!

Quote from: Mikeymac on August 01, 2011, 04:32:59 PM

This is the lowest serial # RS 4 I have seen, Cybercanyon &  I have a 104*** and up to that point hadn't seen one lower. Too bad about the PUP switch. U Might consider contacting Larrivee and installing the Gen 3 Larrivee PUPS  :drool:

Real nice guitar Friend
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Super good looking guitar, except for the fact it's the wrong way around.
L-03 Italian Spruce

Quote from: hadden on August 05, 2011, 08:44:50 AM
Super good looking guitar, except for the fact it's the wrong way around.

Only if you're not in your right mind.

Think about it.  :whistling:

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on August 05, 2011, 07:23:20 AM
This is the lowest serial # RS 4 I have seen, Cybercanon &  I have a 104*** and up to that point hadn't seen one lower. Too bad about the PUP switch. U Might consider contacting Larrivee and installing the Gen 3 Larrivee PUPS  :drool:

Real nice guitar Friend

Interesting observation re the serial #, I had no idea it was a low serial #. Maybe Larrivee have 100*** numbers reserved for lefty instruments ? Not as odd an idea as it might seem. G&L seem to have a block of serial numbers allocated for lefties as several of mine are from the same serial number range even though they were made many years apart. Actually,  I could be wrong but I think my RS4, was built last year.

The Tom Short pickups really are very good

http://www.tomshortshandmadepickups.com/

Quote from: SouthpawGuy on August 05, 2011, 10:26:39 AM
Interesting observation re the serial #, I had no idea it was a low serial #. Maybe Larrivee have 100*** numbers reserved for lefty instruments ? Not as odd an idea as it might seem. G&L seem to have a block of serial numbers allocated for lefties as several of mine are from the same serial number range even though they were made many years apart. Actually,  I could be wrong but I think my RS4, was built last year.

I doubt it was built last year with that SN; my RS-4 is SN 107xxx, and it was built in fall of 2009.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on August 06, 2011, 03:14:37 AM
I doubt it was built last year with that SN; my RS-4 is SN 107xxx, and it was built in fall of 2009.

I've sent an email to Larrivee requesting the date of manufacture, it would be nice to know when it was made.

Quote from: SouthpawGuy on August 06, 2011, 05:12:13 AM
I've sent an email to Larrivee requesting the date of manufacture, it would be nice to know when it was made.

Once you get the date you might consider Posting HERE an accessible data bank started by our good friend ST

As well I hope you saw THIS from Larrivee Support which one must in the subject line write "Obtain A Manufacturing Date": Those who don't, most times end up complaining about poor customer service for the non-reply :arrow

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on August 06, 2011, 09:28:08 AM
Once you get the date you might consider Posting HERE an accessible data bank started by our good friend ST

As well I hope you saw THIS from Larrivee Support which one must in the subject line write "Obtain A Manufacturing Date": Those who don't, most times end up complaining about poor customer service for the non-reply :arrow

Done, I got a manufacture date a while back for my D-50.

Quote from: SouthpawGuy on August 06, 2011, 05:12:13 AM

Well whad'ya know,

I got a reply a day later from Mike Kitchen in Larrivee, on a Sunday no less...

"" Your RS4-AM-LH was built on 11/13/2008 ""

Quote from: SouthpawGuy on August 07, 2011, 12:59:05 PM
Well whad'ya know,

I got a reply a day later from Mike Kitchen in Larrivee, on a Sunday no less...

"" Your RS4-AM-LH was built on 11/13/2008 ""

Would have guessed sooner than that date. Pretty quick response. Amazing when one follows directions :thumbsup

It's gotta be one of the first - first Lefty batch anyways  :nice guitar:

Mine tho a 104*** serial # had an August 2008 completion date thus I suspect the Lefty simply took longer to complete :tongue:

A now for the obvious question .... when were the first RS4s made ?