Allison Kraus and Union Station

Started by teh, July 30, 2011, 02:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I just saw Allison Kraus and Union Station last night and for lovers of acoustic music, this would be time and money well spent if they are playing near you.

Anytime you can see five talented musicians of this caliber play a total of 5 guitars (Sorry gang, all Martin dreads except 1), 3 banjos, 4 dobros, 1 mandolin, 1 fiddle and 1 bouzouki for two hours without stopping, you are in for a treat. The best parts of this show were:

1) The fact that each musician was introduced separately and allowed to showcase their talents made a big impact on the audience. For example at one point everyone left the stage for a five minute break except Jerry Douglas who played this medley (including Little Martha) that I found on You tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAkY3R6lxXk

2) The encore was five songs including four gospel tunes sung around a single microphone.

Never seen them live, but I have a double CD set from a live show. It's just like you described this show.

I would like to see them live.

As long as you didn't actually look  at Alison. Then I'd have to hunt you down and kill you!  :roll

Seriously, I'm jealous that you got to see her  them.

"You say it best...when you say nothin at all"        :+1:

Loved her 'Raising Sands' album with Robert Plant................. :thumb
Larrivee J-05 (2003), Taylor 514CE 30th Anniv, Taylor 214e (2005), Ovation 2005 Collectors', Kinkade 'Kingsdown (1987), Avalon L25 (2009)

Great players. The star is Allison. Why doesn't she answer any of my emails?  :winkin:
L-03 Italian Spruce

Quote from: hadden on August 10, 2011, 10:31:07 AM
Great players. The star is Allison. Why doesn't she answer any of my emails?  :winkin:
She's been trying to, hadden.
Check your spam folder.

Quote from: Queequeg on August 10, 2011, 10:35:16 AM
She's been trying to, hadden.
Check your spam folder.

You gave me cruel hope, yet........nothing.            :bgrin: 
L-03 Italian Spruce

Quote from: hadden on August 10, 2011, 10:45:18 AM
You gave me cruel hope, yet........nothing.            :bgrin: 
how's that old country song go, hadden? "if it weren't for cruel hope, you'd have no hope at all."  :humour:
Isn't it nice to know that no matter how old we get, we never outgrow our ability to fantasize?
Here, have a donut.  :donut

Saw them live about 5 years ago.  Best engineered live show I've ever attended.   Jerry Douglas did a 1/2 hour to 45 minute set on Dobro for intermission and it was a pyrotechnic display of amazing playing and technological wonder.  I wonder what all the Bluegrassers in attendance thought about it.  It was an outright one-man rock show.

I wasn't expecting it.  However I now understand why the bill and the ticket said:  "Allison Krauss and Union Station, featuring Jerry Douglas"

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Not only does Allison sing like an angel, but she seems a genuine humble person as well.      :+1:
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K

AKUS and Wilco are probably the best live bands to see.  It's amazing the sound quality they get live. 

I will say the "featuring Jerry Douglas" thing always strikes me as odd.  Seems like a bit of a slap to the other members of the band.  And for me the dobro is almost an irritant. A little of that thing goes a long way with me. 

Quote from: the creature on August 16, 2011, 12:06:25 PM
AKUS and Wilco are probably the best live bands to see.  It's amazing the sound quality they get live. 

I will say the "featuring Jerry Douglas" thing always strikes me as odd.  Seems like a bit of a slap to the other members of the band.  And for me the dobro is almost an irritant. A little of that thing goes a long way with me. 

Well - he puts on quite a lengthy show while the rest of the band takes a rest at intermission.  It's not a double billing, but kind of leans that way.  I don't remember if Jerry then sat out part of the 2nd half or not.

It was one of the best concerts I have ever heard and seen.  Sound Quality was astounding.  Since then, I've picked up both Ron Block and Dan Tyminski's solo CDs at our local Goodwill store for a buck or two each.  These basically turn out to be Union Station albums, since they all play on each other's stuff anyways.  Bonus!
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

As I stated in my first post, he played a medley (about 5 minutes) while the rest of the band took a short break. No one seemed threatened or short changed from my perspective but maybe he sits alone on the bus between gigs. Yo Yo Ma even likes the dobro. How bad can it really be.

Someone with time on their hands can validate this information on the link below but I found it interesting.

http://www.jerrydouglas.com/disc.cfm

Can anyone name another artist who has appeared on that many albums?

The show I attended had at least 1/2 hour to 45 minutes of Jerry Douglas solo.

Regarding musicians that have appeared on countless albums I'm thinking of:

The Funk Brothers of Motown Studios (check out their list of #1 hits they played on here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Funk_Brothers)
Abraham Laboriel and other LA session cats like Alex Acuna, etc.
Carol Kaye and other members of The Wrecking Crew

2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Love them. Perhaps at times they are too good, and I'd like more grit and a little less slick.
L-03 Italian Spruce