Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Black Beauty  (Read 5731 times)
SouthpawGuy

Ignore
« on: July 27, 2011, 04:48:28 PM »

Received this one last week, a lefty 2003 Heritage 157.

I don't usually care for black guitars, but one word sums this one up ....

Smokin' !!! 
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 04:57:47 PM »

Simple responce drool ohmy

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 06:37:00 PM »

Schweet!
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 08:13:25 PM »

Very nice! I had a Heritage 535 and it was a very nice guitar...I do miss it at times.

Here's my black beauty ... Epi Elitist Les Paul:

[attachment deleted by admin]

All guitars are left-handed:
1979 L-19  |  1992 OM-05  |  2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue  |  2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak  |  2016 L-05 Custom
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 01:53:56 AM »

And mine with the Lollars  blush 

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 11:00:07 AM »

And mine with the Lollars  blush 

Ya gotta give em credit for sweet color transitions.
pigtown

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 02:57:42 PM »

Black is beautiful!  (was that from the 60s or 70s?)
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 03:45:41 PM »

Black is beautiful!  (was that from the 60s or 70s?)
60's.   afro

Melanie Safka included a line in one of her songs "White can be beautiful, but mostly it's not"

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
tulk1

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 03:48:40 PM »

Received this one last week, a lefty 2003 Heritage 157.

I don't usually care for black guitars, but one word sums this one up ....

Smokin' !!! 
When did you get the H157? It's very shiny!!

Here's my only black guitar.

Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."
SouthpawGuy

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 06:56:46 PM »

Thanks guys ! It is a beauty for sure.

Kenny I got the 157 last week, for a 2003 guitar it is in amazingly good condition, basically minty. The previous owner had only ever played it in church.

It weighs in at 9.4 lbs, lots of sustain !
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 08:06:05 PM »

That's one thing I appreciate about the RS-4 - much lighter but still sustains well.

Mine's not black...

1979 L-19  |  1992 OM-05  |  2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue  |  2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak  |  2016 L-05 Custom
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 08:31:17 PM »

Very Nice indeed My RS 4 with the P90's weighs even a little more than that and yes lots of sustain!!!!!

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
SouthpawGuy

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 09:00:53 PM »

That's one thing I appreciate about the RS-4 - much lighter but still sustains well.

Mine's not black...

The Heritage is actually lighter than my '90 Les Paul Std which is a ten pounder  crying And it's probably chambered or weight relieved.

The 157 is made the way they used to be made and it comes in lighter.   
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 09:14:27 PM »

The 157 is made the way they used to be made and it comes in lighter.   

A lot of it comes down to the density of the Mahogany used, some is simply more dense than others with Pros and Cons to More and Less

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 09:40:26 PM »

I hadn't heard of this brand.  Looks interesting. Too heavy for me but nice guitar. Interesting that someone was knocking the new Bakersfield for "stealing" Fender's design. Where are they today? 

So, those who have played both and since we're on the Larrivée forum, this or an RS-4?     
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 10:08:39 PM »

I hadn't heard of this brand.  

Heritage Guitars was founded in 1985 by former employees of the Gibson guitar factory. In the early 1980s, Gibson, faced with excess production capacity and, some claim, a difficult relationship with its labor union, closed its factory in Kalamazoo, Michigan and relocated to Nashville, Tennessee.

These are very fine guitars every bit as good as Gibson IMHO I personally am partial to the RS 4 being superior to both that's just me they are all top shelf really.

There is a past relationship of some kind with Larrivee and Heritage I'm sure The Heritage Guys can articulate better than I.

Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 10:12:32 PM »

I hadn't heard of this brand.  Looks interesting. Too heavy for me but nice guitar. Interesting that someone was knocking the new Bakersfield for "stealing" Fender's design. Where are they today? 

So, those who have played both and since we're on the Larrivée forum, this or an RS-4?     

Heritage guitars are made in the old Gibson plant in Kalamazoo, MI by former Gibson employees (and some newer, younger foilks who never worked for Gibson, I'm sure). There were four "principles" - four main owners who were all former Gibson employees who chose not to move to Tennessee in the '80's (I think) when Gibson left Kalamazoo. They are very good quality guitars, but their QC does vary; I've seen some very good ones and a few (just a few) that were below par...but certainly not as many as Gibson used to make (I think Gibson's quality has improved over the last 10 years).

So that's the story on Heritage. I had a 535 (their version of a 335), and my only complaint with it was some dead notes on the neck - but I've had this on a number of guitars, even good set-necks. Other than that, the woods and build quality were excellent. If I had kept it, I probably would have changed the pickups; I think the stock ones in mine were Schallers and they were just "ok". (I bought mine new in '98, sold it a couple years later.)

tulk1

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2011, 05:51:13 PM »

I own both Heritages and Larrivee's. And I play both out. It's a close match for either guitar manufacturer.

My Heritage Prospect is about as close to the perfect guitar as you can get (totally subjective and personal opinon  ). Lightweight, perfect build, plays well as a clean baby or nasty brat. Comfortable enough to wear all night.

My Larrivee RS4  is about as close to the perfect guitar as you can get (totally subjective and personal opinon  ). Lightweight, perfect build, plays well as a clean baby or nasty brat. Comfortable enough to wear all night.

Oh wow ... deja vu. (i was going to post the same about the RS2, but i thought that might be pushing the pun  )

And don't forget the Heritage/Larrivee connection. Back in Heritage's start-up days JL built the bodies for the Heritage acoustic line. The k'zoo boys then put their necks on and finished the guitars. Everyone I know that has one thinks they are stellar!

Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2011, 06:50:43 PM »

I have moved this post to a new topic.

Hex Pickups - mid and VG (Roland Virtual Guitar)

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2011, 07:00:37 PM »

ST so cool I use my MIDI on my telepartscaster with a Bigsby.Its nice to see I'm not the only insane one out there.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: