Acoustic Guitar Magazine and Larrivée Guitars.

Started by ducktrapper, July 26, 2011, 07:29:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

So, the new issue of AG has a multi-page list of prominent guitar makers, big and small, with a rather large omission, as far as I can see. It's difficult to see if this is an ad or an article but I'm wondering is this pure advertising and all these makers paid to be mentioned or has there been a falling out between this major builder and AG. I know Larrivée has not advertised in the magazine for quite a while now. They are, however, obviously one of the most important and largest builders in the business today. If it's an article, you'd think it would bear mentioning. Curious. 

Yes most likely they didn't pay to be in it. Stealth ad.
L-03 Italian Spruce

Quote from: hadden on July 26, 2011, 08:30:23 AM
Yes most likely they didn't pay to be in it. Stealth ad.

Ah so. The article is actually an "adticle". They should be clearer.

Quote from: ducktrapper on July 26, 2011, 09:03:45 AM
Ah so. The article is actually an "adticle". They should be clearer.

You wrote adticle, and I read "ad-tickle" -- which sounds a little obscene.   
L-03 Italian Spruce

I find this to be one of the most annoying things about AG magazine.  It is so obvious that instruments and equipment featured in their articles is directly related to whether or not the manufacturer has taken advertising space.  Having spent a good part of my life in the advertising business, I understand how publications tie these feature articles to advertising commitments, but this all-too-common breach of the "Chinese Wall" between editorial and advertising makes one inevitably question the objectivity of the editorial.  I first learned of Larrivee through AG years ago, and it probably would not hurt the Larrivee brand to have a regular presence in the primary acoustic guitar publication, if only to maintain the brand's cachet as one of the better high end instrument lines.
Martin D-28
1994 C-10 Custom "Mermaid"
1990 L-19 "Eagle"
Recording King ROS-626
Takamine EF360C 12
American Standard Strat
American Vintage Tele

Once there is that whiff of tit for tat, reviews and such become suspect. Then you just want to flip through for the pics.
L-03 Italian Spruce

That's true, as I said, but there is something to keeping your brand image out there and alive, as most readers of music magazines don't think in terms of the mutual backscratch that goes on between editorial and advertising.  They simply see something in the magazine, and its presence legitimizes it in their eyes.  Larrivee's absence can only diminish the brand's appeal in the eyes of the general public over the long term.
Martin D-28
1994 C-10 Custom "Mermaid"
1990 L-19 "Eagle"
Recording King ROS-626
Takamine EF360C 12
American Standard Strat
American Vintage Tele

Well, yes, I believe that's what I was getting at. I also wonder if what I have perceived to be an ongoing and general lack of respect for Larrivée has something to do with them not advertising there. AG sometimes seems to be Martin's little magazine that sometimes has a moment for other builders. You know, if they behave.  

I bought a Guitar World from a grocery store when I was at the cottage a couple of weeks ago.  I'm not much of a book reader.  Anyway, before that, I hadn't bought a guitar magazine of any kind in several years.  I used to subscribe to several of them but can't see a reason to buy/read them at all anymore. 

Quote from: Denis on July 26, 2011, 09:38:26 AM
I bought a Guitar World from a grocery store when I was at the cottage a couple of weeks ago.  I'm not much of a book reader.  Anyway, before that, I hadn't bought a guitar magazine of any kind in several years.  I used to subscribe to several of them but can't see a reason to buy/read them at all anymore. 

When they started putting accurate tab in these magazines, I bought tonnes of them. It's taken me a while to realize that not only are they recycling the same 100 tabs over and over but I'll never have enough time to learn a tenth of these tunes.   :blush: 

There used to be an acoustic version of Guitar for the Practicing Musician that I have several editions of at home.  Great for basic tunes...Sweet Baby James, The Boxer...etc.  I also remember, and miss, Frets which has been gone for many years now. 

Tabs I don't care about anymore.  Since I started recording my own music, I've completely lost interest in playing covers

Quote from: Denis on July 26, 2011, 09:59:27 AM
There used to be an acoustic version of Guitar for the Practicing Musician that I have several editions of at home.  Great for basic tunes...Sweet Baby James, The Boxer...etc.  I also remember, and miss, Frets which has been gone for many years now. 

Tabs I don't care about anymore.  Since I started recording my own music, I've completely lost interest in playing covers

Oh boy, I have a tonne of GFTPM, Guitar World Acoustic and AG and no time for tabs. I do find that learning this stuff has a positive effect on "my own" music, however. Afterall, amateurs borrow and professionals steal!   

Quote from: ducktrapper on July 26, 2011, 10:10:16 AM
Oh boy, I have a tonne of GFTPM, Guitar World Acoustic and AG and no time for tabs. I do find that learning this stuff has a positive effect on "my own" music, however. Afterall, amateurs borrow and professionals steal!   

You got that right!

Guitar World Acoustic, that was the one....

I really wonder if advertising in AGM really helps that much.  I think that having guitars available in stores is much more important.  You walk in looking for one of those big name brands, strum a few guitars, and walk out with a Larrivee.  Seems to happen a lot.

Here's an aside that you all might find amusing.....there is not a single store in Oxnard or Ventura that has a Larrivee in stock.  Imagine how difficult it is for a poor bloke like me to get my hands on any Larrivees to try.........and now I can't even see pictures of them in Acoustic Guitar Mag.  Oh, woe is me.....woe is me.

I owe Acoustic Guitar Magazine a big debt of gratitude!!! The first magazine I bought had the huge Larrivee article in it so that's where my lust turned. I found my used L-03 and the rest is...

Magazines are like any other corporate entity: they only work for money! There is very little objective reporting in mags. Reviews are written based on the advertising inch.

If you can afford advertising, you don't need it! I'm satisfied in JCLs approach: build a good product and let word of mouth carry the story.

f
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Quote from: ffinke on July 26, 2011, 11:24:37 AM
I owe Acoustic Guitar Magazine a big debt of gratitude!!! The first magazine I bought had the huge Larrivee article in it so that's where my lust turned. I found my used L-03 and the rest is...

Magazines are like any other corporate entity: they only work for money! There is very little objective reporting in mags. Reviews are written based on the advertising inch.

If you can afford advertising, you don't need it! I'm satisfied in JCLs approach: build a good product and let word of mouth carry the story.

f

Yet CF Martin, presumably, pays top dollar for the back cover, every month. Go figure. 

QuoteI bought a Guitar World from a grocery store when I was at the cottage a couple of weeks ago.  I'm not much of a book reader.  Anyway, before that, I hadn't bought a guitar magazine of any kind in several years.  I used to subscribe to several of them but can't see a reason to buy/read them at all anymore

Two words:

Fretboard Journal.  I used to subscribe to AGM, but found that I was only reading the gear reviews, and the articles only occasionally.  Too much advertising, not enough content.  FBJ as all content, with minimal, and beautiful ads.  No real reviews on new guitars, but you can find those anywhere.  One of the best publications out there in my opinion.
This ain't quite heaven and it ain't quite hell
ain't no angels playin harps
ain't no devils with tails

Larrivee OO-03R
Martin D-18

Forgot to mention that they are very unbiased.  I've seen some Larrivee ads in the earlier issues, and even a great article on Jean and company once the ads disappeared.
This ain't quite heaven and it ain't quite hell
ain't no angels playin harps
ain't no devils with tails

Larrivee OO-03R
Martin D-18

Yes, the only problems with Fretboard Journal is that it's quarterly and cost $20...not to mention barely anyone carries it! 

Quote from: Walkerman on July 26, 2011, 11:22:43 AM
I really wonder if advertising in AGM really helps that much.  I think that having guitars available in stores is much more important.  You walk in looking for one of those big name brands, strum a few guitars, and walk out with a Larrivee.  Seems to happen a lot.

+1000

You described my story exactly.  The luthier at the store where I bought my Larry was Dennis Lake. (he now makes Po' Mahina guitars and ukes on the Big Island) Dennis saw me strumming low-end Martins in the Acoustic Guitar room and poked his head in the room and said I should try the Larrys that were there.  I was instantly hooked.  Saved up money for months and walked out of the store with an L-03E 10+ years ago and have probably earned some commission checks from Larrivee in the process (several friends have been converted).

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud