Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: L-19 Question  (Read 720 times)
DPprofessor

Ignore
« on: July 20, 2011, 06:35:47 PM »

Does anyone know when the L-19 model ceased production under that number?  I have been told that the L-19 is now the same as the L-09, but my 19 came with the clear pickguard, the Eagle headstock and fancier fret markers.

Martin D-28
1994 C-10 Custom "Mermaid"
1990 L-19 "Eagle"
Recording King ROS-626
Takamine EF360C 12
American Standard Strat
American Vintage Tele
Stephen Basil

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 07:54:04 PM »

To the extent that I know these things the one indicates an elevated level of bling on an otherwise nine level instrument.

OM-03R 2008 Twelfth Fret SE 5/12
LSV-03R 2009 Forum III 55/78
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 10:15:52 PM »

Larrivee quit using the 19 designation in the late 90's, but then resurrected it a few years ago for the Calif series at least, and maybe some others.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 01:53:55 AM »

A -19 is a -09 with -10 level fretboard or headstock inlay.  Bassically a -10 but without the abalone purfling all around the top.

Jean has said that it was called a -19 because he thought that calling this level of trim a -9.5 would have sounded stupid.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
Larrivee4me

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 02:43:36 AM »

A -19 is a -09 with -10 level fretboard or headstock inlay.  Bassically a -10 but without the abalone purfling all around the top.

Jean has said that it was called a -19 because he thought that calling this level of trim a -9.5 would have sounded stupid.

That's pretty accurate.  a 19 might simply say Larrivee on the headstock or it might have one of Wendy's character inlays, or it might have a flourish style inlay like this.  It's a 1995 OM-19.  I really really like the rosewood binding on these older ones.  The only thing I don't like are the Schaller tuners and none of the Gotoh's are a perfect match for the existing holes. Rats!

L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 03:25:35 AM »

That's pretty accurate.  a 19 might simply say Larrivee on the headstock or it might have one of Wendy's character inlays, or it might have a flourish style inlay like this.  It's a 1995 OM-19.  I really really like the rosewood binding on these older ones.  The only thing I don't like are the Schaller tuners and none of the Gotoh's are a perfect match for the existing holes. Rats!
Just wondering why you don't care for the Schallers.  Aesthetics?  Function?  Stay in tune? etc.  Reason I ask is that my old-timer L-07 has the Schallers and I've never found anything wrong with them in terms of function and stability.  I never considered much how they look though so was just wondering what your judgement criteria is.

Cheers,  Kurt

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

Larrivee4me

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 01:08:09 AM »

The only problem with the Schallers is the 12:1 gear ratio.  After getting used to the Gotoh 510's and their 18:1 gear ratio, the Schallers just aren't as easy to nail down.  Once they're in tune, they hold it just fine.  I'm just spoiled  whistling
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 06:17:15 AM »

The only problem with the Schallers is the 12:1 gear ratio.  After getting used to the Gotoh 510's and their 18:1 gear ratio, the Schallers just aren't as easy to nail down.  Once they're in tune, they hold it just fine.  I'm just spoiled  whistling
Good point.  You know I never even thought of the gear ratio on mine till your post.  But it's true, they are harder to nail down as you say.  When I bought the guitar in 1985, I didn't have a clue about tuners and all that stuff.  But now, after having many guitars go through my hands, I agree about the effect of the lower gear ratio.  In the case of my Larrivee, though, I think I've become so accustomed to the tuners that I can "do it in my sleep" so to speak and I never even noticed.  I do strongly agree that once they are in tune, they stay that way.

I don't think I would ever change the tuners on my L-07 at this stage given it's age, my relationship with it, originality, or whatever unless they were truly wearing out.  But, if it came to that, I wouldn't be anal about installing the same ones.  I would replace them with whatever seemed the best in terms of tuning performance and ease of replacement.  (didn't mean to steer this thread towards tuners)

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: