attention 00-03 owners (and 00-50 owners too!)

Started by gregg, July 19, 2011, 09:54:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: jgillard on July 26, 2011, 01:12:12 PM
It looks like I got a stellar deal on my 00-03r judging by what this one is going for.  :drool:

J, that guitar has nearly $150 worth of upgrades on it. I'd say it's worth the asking price.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: gregg on July 26, 2011, 03:14:03 PM
thanks, cke!  sounding less bright with a warm tone sounds good to me.  i think in time i will try the others but this will give me someplace to start with.
Hi gregg, I don't know if you noticed, but the DR Rares are on my 00 F-IV as well. Surprising tone and volume from a lite gage set. I was a EJ only or Dean Markley Alchemy Gold Bronze CL's, but then the fingers and hands and arms etc. dictated something with less tension.
     For some reason it took as much time as nylons on a classical to settle in though. Must be the neck and possibly the bridge pull on the top had to settle in.

Quote from: dependan on July 26, 2011, 10:16:18 PM
 Hi gregg, I don't know if you noticed, but the DR Rares are on my 00 F-IV as well. Surprising tone and volume from a lite gage set. I was a EJ only or Dean Markley Alchemy Gold Bronze CL's, but then the fingers and hands and arms etc. dictated something with less tension.
     For some reason it took as much time as nylons on a classical to settle in though. Must be the neck and possibly the bridge pull on the top had to settle in.

hi danny-
no i didn't notice.  there were so many replies i was getting confused.   :wacko:  but thanks for letting me know, as i do appreciate the feedback.  so you use the lites as well?  now that i think about it, i was thinking that i might use my 00-03 for open tunings so do you think that the mediums would be better for that?   

i wonder if cke had the same experience with the "settle in" time for the strings too...

Quote from: gregg on July 27, 2011, 12:26:06 AM
hi danny-
no i didn't notice.  there were so many replies i was getting confused.   :wacko:  but thanks for letting me know, as i do appreciate the feedback.  so you use the lites as well?  now that i think about it, i was thinking that i might use my 00-03 for open tunings so do you think that the mediums would be better for that?   

i wonder if cke had the same experience with the "settle in" time for the strings too...
I would rather use mediums and I did until last winter. I think mediums give a cleaner ring to the notes.

Quote from: gregg on July 27, 2011, 12:26:06 AM
hi danny-

Quote from: dependan on July 27, 2011, 01:40:29 PM
  I would rather use mediums and I did until last winter. I think mediums give a cleaner ring to the notes.
Quote from: dependan on July 27, 2011, 01:40:29 PM
I would agree with Danny on both counts. He actually has more sensitivity to the fine points of sound than I seem to. 

For what it's worth, DR calls it's 12-54 strings "Medium" and the 13-56's "Med/Heavy." I am prefering the 12's at this time having used both. It may be due to the lighter tension, as I am developing arthritis in my fretting thumb. I don't find it as big a difference as I rember between EJ 16's and 17's. Again FWIW I like the sound of the 17's much better on my Larrivee's. I am playing DR Sunbeam 13's on my L, DR Rare 13's on my P, and DR Rare 12's on mu 00. At this time anyway   :wink:
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden