Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Factory Pickups or Aftermarket pickup or external mic?  (Read 699 times)
Hooked

Ignore
« on: June 10, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »

Being a rookie guitarist, with no delusions of playing in front of an audience anytime soon, is there any benefit in buying an (E) version in my first really nice guitar?

Yes, SOMEday I'd love to play in my church, and in a real stretch, an open mic night somewhere, but for the next couple of years I don't see me playing outside the company of family or really patient friends.

So, before I pull the trigger on on L-03R, thinking wisdom (what little remains after splurging on my first Larrivee) dictates saving the electronics money for the future. Adding an aftermarket pickup - not too tough? (Or just buy a new guitar ;) )

The assembled voice of the forums says.... ?

Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wires...
Michael T
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 09:24:05 PM »

You are almost always better off doing the after market install than the factory install , especially the ones with the barn door cut in the side.
Check out the differences Mr. Young went to the trouble to provide for us to use.

http://www.dougyoungguitar.com/pickuptests/

08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 10:14:34 PM »

Hooked - I was at the same crossroads 10 years ago with my purchase.

Had I known then what I know now - I would have never ordered the factory installed electronics, which at the time was some form of Fishman UST and barn-door electronics.

The electronics crapped out after 5 years or so.  I removed it and am left with a poorly cut hole in the side of my guitar (plenty of other posts here have the picture).

I fit a K+K mini pure western on my own, but I already had an end-pin jack from the factory Fishman install, so there was no cutting involved.

Have a decent luthier install a pickup for you.  Lots of folks here like K+K and L.R. Baggs bridge plate transducer systems.  You should be able to do for the same price locally as what Larrivee offers from the factory.  Ask for a luthier recommendation here for where you live.

-Scott

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 02:56:32 AM »

After market is the best way to go.As for using a mic it takes a lot of practice and most place's don't have a sound person who would have any idea how to use a mic on a guitar.My prefferance is for mic'ing but I do have 2 acoustic with LR Baggs Ibeam 's installed for playing with others.So my vote is after market and go with either the K+K or the Baggs.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 08:00:28 AM »

Although Larrivee always have used great electronics over the years like Fishman, B-band and LR Baggs, they do (standard) the barn-door version only for the 03-series.
I prefer the no-cut options because adjustments are mostly done on the desk, amp or DI/Preamp any way. The Under-Saddle Transducers are less feedback prone, and Acoustic Soundboard Transducers like the Baggs I-beam and K&K Mini Pure provide more mic-like warmth.
There are also systems that combine the above mentioned pickups and even UST/Mic combos with a blend control.
I personally like Baggs' I-mix.

For trouble free plug-and-play operation consider a no fuss K&K (no battery in the guitar) with an external belt-clip pre amp.
They aren't too costly either.

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 11:49:59 AM »

I agree that if you buy a guitar with the mixer cut into the side, that you should be an experienced player that knows what you are buying, because you can't make the hole in your guitar go away later.

It is easy to add electronics later though.

I prefer to play wo electronics into a mic, but sometimes thats not a good option because of feedback.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
jwh6f

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 04:07:21 PM »

After market means more choice.   It is a bit like installing a stereo on a car.    If you choose the stereo you want yourself, you get the sound that you want. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: