Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Martin Golden Era anyone? (D-18GE, 000-18GE)  (Read 15409 times)
Stringdancer

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2011, 05:59:56 AM »

Hey StringDancer - sounds like you've got a keeper! Over the 9 years, on average, how much do you play it per week? i.e. 1 hour each week over 9 years, 5 hours, etc? 

Hi Dru,

When I first bought it,I probably averaged 20 hrs. a week for  several years. Now with age, shoulder problems and my love for short scale small bodied guitars,I don't average much more than 5 hrs a week.I can tell you this,If I had to start selling guitars...it would be the last one to go!!

Larrivee D-05
Larrivee L-05MT
Larrivee P-05
Martin D-18GE
Martin 0M-42
Rainsong JM1000
Beard Gold Tone round neck
Ibanez AS 103- NT custom
CA Cargo
Collings 01

What I like to do when I'm not murdering perfectly good guitar tunes.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterdancer/
Dru Edwards

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2011, 12:21:10 PM »

Hi Dru,

When I first bought it,I probably averaged 20 hrs. a week for  several years. Now with age, shoulder problems and my love for short scale small bodied guitars,I don't average much more than 5 hrs a week.I can tell you this,If I had to start selling guitars...it would be the last one to go!!

Hi StringDancer  -thanks for the reply. That's a lot of mileage on the guitar. I'm sure she sounds amazing. I understand about the shoulder issues. The past 3 years I've had them and I'm moving away from dreads to GA and such.
ewalling

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2011, 03:24:39 AM »

I've owned a 14-fret 000-18GE and currently own My Favorite Guitar's custom 12-fret version. Of the two, I really do prefer the 12 fret version - a bit more depth and a bit more sparkle. The 14-fretter I had was a bit too dark for my tastes.
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2011, 06:51:39 PM »

I think the D Mahogany 09 is what you are looking for.  I think it is like the GE but with non Braz rosewood headstock.
I just got a D Mahogany, and it's everything the D-18GE is but with certified woods, and built exactly the same Golden Era way. There are cosmetic differences plus it uses a European spruce top rather than Adi., 'hog headplate. I can't hear a difference. Sounds incredibly good, deep and rich, plays like a dream. I LOVE the neck!

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
Dru Edwards

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2011, 01:39:52 PM »

I just got a D Mahogany, and it's everything the D-18GE is but with certified woods, and built exactly the same Golden Era way. There are cosmetic differences plus it uses a European spruce top rather than Adi., 'hog headplate. I can't hear a difference. Sounds incredibly good, deep and rich, plays like a dream. I LOVE the neck!

And the D Mahogany doesn't have any brazilian rosewood on the headplate so it should be easier to ship out of the US without CITES issues.  There are other differences between the guitars ... The D Mahogany has a Katalox bridge rather than Ebony. Also, the specs state that the Standard X forward shifted bracing for the D-18GE is "Golden Era Style". Not sure what that means and how it is different than the D Mahogany's forward shifted bracing. Perhaps a more agressive scalloping?

I wish I had the opportunity to try either of those guitars.
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2011, 06:11:08 PM »

And the D Mahogany doesn't have any brazilian rosewood on the headplate so it should be easier to ship out of the US without CITES issues.  There are other differences between the guitars ... The D Mahogany has a Katalox bridge rather than Ebony. Also, the specs state that the Standard X forward shifted bracing for the D-18GE is "Golden Era Style". Not sure what that means and how it is different than the D Mahogany's forward shifted bracing. Perhaps a more agressive scalloping?

I wish I had the opportunity to try either of those guitars.
The bracing of the D Mahogany in the Martin catalog sounds different, but I saw a copy of the spec sheet and it clearly states GE style bracing. Maybe Martin was trying to soft sell that guitar since it was so much cheaper than a GE. But the exclusion of Adi and Waverly's would account for the difference.  Mine even has a volute and the old '30's Martin stamp on the back of the head-stock.

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
Dru Edwards

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2011, 01:13:35 PM »

Any other GE fans out there? So hard to find any up here in Canada to play (I've never even seen one).
shadco

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2011, 01:30:43 AM »

I've had this 000-18GE since March of 08.

I have not looked at another acoustic since.

Shad
====
Help is on the way. A government team of experts Is a'rushin' to your aid... --Stephen Stills

Martin 000-18GE
Weber Diamondback Custom
LP R9
PRS MC58
PRS DGT LTD
Dru Edwards

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2011, 01:13:44 PM »

Stunning guitar!  Do you use it for mostly fingerpicking, strumming, or both?
DJ in FL

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2011, 01:00:52 AM »

A beauty for sure!  You should be a happy man!  Enjoy and play in good health.

Larrivee 000-60
Martin 000-28 VS
Guild Mark II
Alvarez Yairi CY 127 CE
Alvarez Yairi CY 140 CE
Two cats who like my playing
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2011, 01:42:51 AM »

That's one of the nicest looking Martin's I've seen.  Throw a twelve fret neck on there and I would be...........  drool 

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
Bluegrass Phil

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2011, 08:57:20 AM »

My favorite Martin guitar is definitely the 0-45 and I wish I had the money to buy one (Joan Baez, if you're reading my post ???)  bigrin

Just because you can doesn't mean you should
DJ in FL

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2012, 12:48:56 AM »

I've owned a 14-fret 000-18GE and currently own My Favorite Guitar's custom 12-fret version. Of the two, I really do prefer the 12 fret version - a bit more depth and a bit more sparkle. The 14-fretter I had was a bit too dark for my tastes.

What's the difference on the neck and nut width in that 12 vs the 14 fret version?
When you say "dark" sound, do you mean more a rosewood than mahog sound?

Wonder if one would hear a big difference in the 12 fret version of the 000-18GE vs the 000-28vs?  I would love to be able to find those two models and A/B them.
So many guitars...so little $$$ in my account!

blush

Larrivee 000-60
Martin 000-28 VS
Guild Mark II
Alvarez Yairi CY 127 CE
Alvarez Yairi CY 140 CE
Two cats who like my playing
Dru Edwards

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2012, 03:22:10 PM »

What's the difference on the neck and nut width in that 12 vs the 14 fret version?

Wonder if one would hear a big difference in the 12 fret version of the 000-18GE vs the 000-28vs?  I would love to be able to find those two models and A/B them.

blush

Great quote!!!  As far as the biggest differences between the 000-18GE and the 000-28vs, mahogany vs rosewood. Also, the scalloped bracing is more pronounced/agressive on the GE series than the Vintage series. I don't think you could go wrong with any of those guitars and I wish I could play at least one!
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2012, 12:36:55 AM »

Ahhhhh, Dru's got GASSSSSS 

000-18GE   bowdown bowdown bowdown beautiful guitar.
ewalling

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2012, 03:52:25 AM »

The nut width - 1 3/4" - is the same on both the 14-fret and 12-fret models. Maybe it's just an illusion, but the neck feels more comfortable on the 12-fretter than the 14-fretter - a bit slimmer. By "dark" I mean the opposite of "trebly". The 14-fret 000-18GE that I had, while having a pleasing bass-rich sound, was lacking shimmer and sparkle on the treble strings to my ears. For this reason, the guitar sounded a little dull to me. One thing that immediately impressed me about the 12-fretter was that while it had the rich bass and mids, it had a nice ring on the trebles, and that's very important to me in a guitar.

blush
Dru Edwards

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2012, 09:07:10 PM »

Ahhhhh, Dru's got GASSSSSS 

000-18GE   bowdown bowdown bowdown beautiful guitar.

Hahaha.... yes I do. No GE's anywhere near where I live so I've never played one before but I love the specs (forward shifted scalloped bracing). My Taylor BTO is coming in a couple of months though so no GE for me now. 
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2012, 07:59:22 AM »

Hahaha.... yes I do. No GE's anywhere near where I live so I've never played one before but I love the specs (forward shifted scalloped bracing). My Taylor BTO is coming in a couple of months though so no GE for me now. 

I'm looking forward to your review Dru and don't forget pic's either. Would you believe, I've never played a Taylor before, always interested but never got there yet. I will, someday soon.
Dru Edwards

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2012, 09:03:24 PM »

I'm looking forward to your review Dru and don't forget pic's either. Would you believe, I've never played a Taylor before, always interested but never got there yet. I will, someday soon.

Looks like I posted on your triplet thread a little too early ... I asked if you had any Taylors.  Surprised that you haven't played any Taylors before. I'm assuming that you see them at the store sometimes? Just pick one up and start playing. Much brighter than the Martins, that's for sure.  It's like any other brand, some love them and others don't. It's all in our ears.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: