Martin Golden Era anyone? (D-18GE, 000-18GE)

Started by Dru Edwards, July 09, 2011, 09:20:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Dru Edwards on September 03, 2011, 11:26:01 AM
Hey StringDancer - sounds like you've got a keeper! Over the 9 years, on average, how much do you play it per week? i.e. 1 hour each week over 9 years, 5 hours, etc? 

Hi Dru,

When I first bought it,I probably averaged 20 hrs. a week for  several years. Now with age, shoulder problems and my love for short scale small bodied guitars,I don't average much more than 5 hrs a week.I can tell you this,If I had to start selling guitars...it would be the last one to go!!
Larrivee D-05
Larrivee L-05MT
Larrivee P-05
Martin D-18GE
Martin 0M-42
Rainsong JM1000
Beard Gold Tone round neck
Ibanez AS 103- NT custom
CA Cargo
Collings 01

What I like to do when I'm not murdering perfectly good guitar tunes.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterdancer/

Quote from: Stringdancer on September 05, 2011, 12:59:56 AM
Hi Dru,

When I first bought it,I probably averaged 20 hrs. a week for  several years. Now with age, shoulder problems and my love for short scale small bodied guitars,I don't average much more than 5 hrs a week.I can tell you this,If I had to start selling guitars...it would be the last one to go!!

Hi StringDancer  -thanks for the reply. That's a lot of mileage on the guitar. I'm sure she sounds amazing. I understand about the shoulder issues. The past 3 years I've had them and I'm moving away from dreads to GA and such.

I've owned a 14-fret 000-18GE and currently own My Favorite Guitar's custom 12-fret version. Of the two, I really do prefer the 12 fret version - a bit more depth and a bit more sparkle. The 14-fretter I had was a bit too dark for my tastes.

Quote from: prof_stack on July 10, 2011, 03:53:39 PM
I think the D Mahogany 09 is what you are looking for.  I think it is like the GE but with non Braz rosewood headstock.
I just got a D Mahogany, and it's everything the D-18GE is but with certified woods, and built exactly the same Golden Era way. There are cosmetic differences plus it uses a European spruce top rather than Adi., 'hog headplate. I can't hear a difference. Sounds incredibly good, deep and rich, plays like a dream. I LOVE the neck!
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

Quote from: cke on October 07, 2011, 01:51:39 PM
I just got a D Mahogany, and it's everything the D-18GE is but with certified woods, and built exactly the same Golden Era way. There are cosmetic differences plus it uses a European spruce top rather than Adi., 'hog headplate. I can't hear a difference. Sounds incredibly good, deep and rich, plays like a dream. I LOVE the neck!

And the D Mahogany doesn't have any brazilian rosewood on the headplate so it should be easier to ship out of the US without CITES issues.  There are other differences between the guitars ... The D Mahogany has a Katalox bridge rather than Ebony. Also, the specs state that the Standard X forward shifted bracing for the D-18GE is "Golden Era Style". Not sure what that means and how it is different than the D Mahogany's forward shifted bracing. Perhaps a more agressive scalloping?

I wish I had the opportunity to try either of those guitars.

Quote from: Dru Edwards on October 10, 2011, 08:39:52 AM
And the D Mahogany doesn't have any brazilian rosewood on the headplate so it should be easier to ship out of the US without CITES issues.  There are other differences between the guitars ... The D Mahogany has a Katalox bridge rather than Ebony. Also, the specs state that the Standard X forward shifted bracing for the D-18GE is "Golden Era Style". Not sure what that means and how it is different than the D Mahogany's forward shifted bracing. Perhaps a more agressive scalloping?

I wish I had the opportunity to try either of those guitars.
The bracing of the D Mahogany in the Martin catalog sounds different, but I saw a copy of the spec sheet and it clearly states GE style bracing. Maybe Martin was trying to soft sell that guitar since it was so much cheaper than a GE. But the exclusion of Adi and Waverly's would account for the difference.  Mine even has a volute and the old '30's Martin stamp on the back of the head-stock.
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

Any other GE fans out there? So hard to find any up here in Canada to play (I've never even seen one).

I've had this 000-18GE since March of 08.

I have not looked at another acoustic since.

Shad
====
Help is on the way. A government team of experts Is a'rushin' to your aid... --Stephen Stills

Martin 000-18GE
Weber Diamondback Custom
LP R9
PRS MC58
PRS DGT LTD

Quote from: shadco on November 26, 2011, 07:30:43 PM

Stunning guitar!  Do you use it for mostly fingerpicking, strumming, or both?

Quote from: shadco on November 26, 2011, 07:30:43 PM

A beauty for sure!  You should be a happy man!  Enjoy and play in good health.
Larrivee 000-60
Martin 000-28 VS
Guild Mark II
Alvarez Yairi CY 127 CE
Alvarez Yairi CY 140 CE
Two cats who like my playing

That's one of the nicest looking Martin's I've seen.  Throw a twelve fret neck on there and I would be...........  :drool:  :arrow
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

My favorite Martin guitar is definitely the 0-45 and I wish I had the money to buy one (Joan Baez, if you're reading my post ???)  :bgrin:
Just because you can doesn't mean you should

Quote from: ewalling on October 06, 2011, 10:24:39 PM
I've owned a 14-fret 000-18GE and currently own My Favorite Guitar's custom 12-fret version. Of the two, I really do prefer the 12 fret version - a bit more depth and a bit more sparkle. The 14-fretter I had was a bit too dark for my tastes.

What's the difference on the neck and nut width in that 12 vs the 14 fret version?
When you say "dark" sound, do you mean more a rosewood than mahog sound?

Wonder if one would hear a big difference in the 12 fret version of the 000-18GE vs the 000-28vs?  I would love to be able to find those two models and A/B them.
So many guitars...so little $$$ in my account!

:blush:
Larrivee 000-60
Martin 000-28 VS
Guild Mark II
Alvarez Yairi CY 127 CE
Alvarez Yairi CY 140 CE
Two cats who like my playing

Quote from: DJ in FL on February 07, 2012, 06:48:56 PM

What's the difference on the neck and nut width in that 12 vs the 14 fret version?

Wonder if one would hear a big difference in the 12 fret version of the 000-18GE vs the 000-28vs?  I would love to be able to find those two models and A/B them.

Great quote!!!  As far as the biggest differences between the 000-18GE and the 000-28vs, mahogany vs rosewood. Also, the scalloped bracing is more pronounced/agressive on the GE series than the Vintage series. I don't think you could go wrong with any of those guitars and I wish I could play at least one!

Ahhhhh, Dru's got GASSSSSS  :thumb

000-18GE   :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: beautiful guitar.

The nut width - 1 3/4" - is the same on both the 14-fret and 12-fret models. Maybe it's just an illusion, but the neck feels more comfortable on the 12-fretter than the 14-fretter - a bit slimmer. By "dark" I mean the opposite of "trebly". The 14-fret 000-18GE that I had, while having a pleasing bass-rich sound, was lacking shimmer and sparkle on the treble strings to my ears. For this reason, the guitar sounded a little dull to me. One thing that immediately impressed me about the 12-fretter was that while it had the rich bass and mids, it had a nice ring on the trebles, and that's very important to me in a guitar.

Quote from: DJ in FL on February 07, 2012, 06:48:56 PM

Quote from: fongie on February 22, 2012, 06:36:55 PM
Ahhhhh, Dru's got GASSSSSS  :thumb

000-18GE   :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: beautiful guitar.

Hahaha.... yes I do. No GE's anywhere near where I live so I've never played one before but I love the specs (forward shifted scalloped bracing). My Taylor BTO is coming in a couple of months though so no GE for me now.  :smile:

Quote from: Dru Edwards on March 18, 2012, 04:07:10 PM
Hahaha.... yes I do. No GE's anywhere near where I live so I've never played one before but I love the specs (forward shifted scalloped bracing). My Taylor BTO is coming in a couple of months though so no GE for me now.  :smile:

I'm looking forward to your review Dru and don't forget pic's either. Would you believe, I've never played a Taylor before, always interested but never got there yet. I will, someday soon.

Quote from: fongie on March 19, 2012, 02:59:22 AM
I'm looking forward to your review Dru and don't forget pic's either. Would you believe, I've never played a Taylor before, always interested but never got there yet. I will, someday soon.

Looks like I posted on your triplet thread a little too early ... I asked if you had any Taylors.  Surprised that you haven't played any Taylors before. I'm assuming that you see them at the store sometimes? Just pick one up and start playing. Much brighter than the Martins, that's for sure.  It's like any other brand, some love them and others don't. It's all in our ears.