Martin Golden Era anyone? (D-18GE, 000-18GE)

Started by Dru Edwards, July 09, 2011, 09:20:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi All.  Has anyone played either the Martin D-18GE or the 000-18GE? I've never had the opportunity but I've read nothing but rave reviews.

Thoughts?

I played both - great guitars.
:smile:
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Thanks Zohn. Did you attempt any fingerpicking on either guitar? I have to believe it's very responsive.

I have played 3 different D-18GE's. One became one of my To Die For guitars, but got sold before I could put a deal together. I played a used one that was very nice, but not as enthralling, and another new one that was a nice guitar, but not particularly more involving than a standard D-18. That shows there is a variance in the sound of any wood guitar, and Martin's have been noted be rather variable. Each was a very good guitar, and a set-up or string change might bring all of them up, but the first was the only one I really want to own.

Finger picking was wonderful; very full deep tone, but very sensitive as well.
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

Thanks Chris. I've bought a couple of guitars on that very first strum when I had no intention of even buying a guitar that day. I was just perusing the shop.

A local music store has had a 000-18GE for about a year that is the BEST new guitar in any of the local shops. If it were not for the fact that I have been spending all my extra money on wood to build guitars, I would own that guitar. I have played about 5-6 of the 000-18GE and they were all pretty good guitars but this particular one is really really good.

Thanks GA-ME.  So was this guitar actually hanging on the wall a year and no one bought it? Do you think it was just related to cost, perhaps that dealer had it more expensive than on-line sites?

Quote from: Dru Edwards on July 10, 2011, 08:25:08 AM
Thanks GA-ME.  So was this guitar actually hanging on the wall a year and no one bought it? Do you think it was just related to cost, perhaps that dealer had it more expensive than on-line sites?

In this area the high end guitars are hanging on the walls a LONG LONG time. My second favorite guitar locally is a custom Gibson L00. It has been hanging on the wall for a coupke of years now. The only things that seem to be moving locally are the rank starter guitars and the sub 1000 dollar level guitars. Frankly, I think if it wasn't for lessons and band instrument rentals, both of the above stores would probably be folding.

I've seen some of those shops. It's a good thing they're around for more than just sales (i.e. lessons). They do provide a service, just not in the high end guitar market - nothing wrong with that.

As I stated on another thread, my D-18GE was so good I sold the SD-50.  It has that vintage Martin sound and gets better each year.
Play it daily for best results.

Excellent endorsement.   

Anyone here see a GE in Canada? The GE has a brazilian rosewood headstock thus has CITES to deal with. I've heard that Long & McQuade doesn't stock them (I'll have to ask then) due to this reason and I don't see it listed on the 12th Fret's website - and they have tons of Martins.

Quote from: Dru Edwards on July 10, 2011, 01:36:11 PM
Excellent endorsement.   

Anyone here see a GE in Canada? The GE has a brazilian rosewood headstock thus has CITES to deal with. I've heard that Long & McQuade doesn't stock them (I'll have to ask then) due to this reason and I don't see it listed on the 12th Fret's website - and they have tons of Martins.

I think the D Mahogany 09 is what you are looking for.  I think it is like the GE but with non Braz rosewood headstock.

Quote from: Dru Edwards on July 09, 2011, 02:03:55 PM
Thanks Zohn. Did you attempt any fingerpicking on either guitar? I have to believe it's very responsive.

Yes, I played the 000-18GE fingerstyle and to me that is the reference 000. It was very responsive with a veeeery vintage tone.
Then came my Berg OM. The Martin is almost as good...  :winkin:

The D-18GE was also a great dread, ok, so I am a bit biassed being a hog fan myself....
:smile:
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

I've only tried the D-18GE and loved it but then what's not to love.  The 1 3/4" nut, that would seal the deal for me if I had the $.  I would buy one right away.  Lovely instrument.

I recently played a used D18GE at a local guitar shop and really enjoyed the tone, but hated the neck...It also didn't sound better than a recent D18V I tried, which has a more comfortable neck profile for me..  I think the V neck on the DxxV series is quite a bit less chunky than on the GE.

Quote from: arbutusq on July 14, 2011, 10:03:57 PM
I recently played a used D18GE at a local guitar shop and really enjoyed the tone, but hated the neck...It also didn't sound better than a recent D18V I tried, which has a more comfortable neck profile for me..  I think the V neck on the DxxV series is quite a bit less chunky than on the GE.

I played a GE a year or so ago and my impression was that I could have gone for Babe Ruth's record with it! I've never felt anything so large and out of proportion as that thing. I think it was on a 000 but can't really remember as I put it down post-haste! I know some people like the chunkies but I'm not one of them.

:yak:

f
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Quote from: ffinke on July 15, 2011, 10:15:05 AM
I played a GE a year or so ago and my impression was that I could have gone for Babe Ruth's record with it! I've never felt anything so large and out of proportion as that thing. I think it was on a 000 but can't really remember as I put it down post-haste! I know some people like the chunkies but I'm not one of them.
That's probably one of the reasons Martin introduced the P (for Performance) neck on some of their models.

In defense to the baseball necks, some claim that the mass of the old necks adds to the tone, as part of the vibrations.  Perhaps, but by how much?  Can't be very much, I would think.

Quote from: prof_stack on July 15, 2011, 10:33:46 AM
That's probably one of the reasons Martin introduced the P (for Performance) neck on some of their models.

In defense to the baseball necks, some claim that the mass of the old necks adds to the tone, as part of the vibrations.  Perhaps, but by how much?  Can't be very much, I would think.

Jeff beck likes super fat necks on his Strats. I figure he wants stability for bends and whammy bar stuff. I used to dislike the other strings going out when I did bends on a thin necked strat I had back in the day. I'd think extra mass through the neck would be a good thing for sound on guitars in general. I just can't do thumbovers and stretches with those ones. Don't have big paws.
L-03 Italian Spruce

Lots of great responses here folks. The more recent ones about the neck profile. I myself prefer a slimmer neck profile over a fat v-neck. I wish I could play one of these. Is the GE v-neck actually bigger than the vintage series (i.e. D-18v)? I had no problem with the D18v neck.

I used to own a custom guitar.  Traded an early Beneteau (yes, a Beneteau) for it back in the early 90's.  Ottawa Folklore Centre, circa 1990, was an amazing place, before they moved to Bank St.  It was a mahogany/sitka mini-jumbo with a pronounced V neck that was huge.  I played that guitar for many years.  It didn't even have a truss rod.  I've got some negs somewhere I should scan!!

Anyway, I loved that guitar and a D-18GE, even with a bat for a neck, appeals to me.  Nothing wrong with a big neck.  Just means you need to get used to it, like any other guitar. 

Wow, I haven't thought of that guitar in a while, I miss it.